8.5x24 Toy Hauler Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

8.5x24 Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby AnthonyH » Mon May 23, 2016 6:53 pm

This is the conversion of an 8.5x24x7 cargo trailer to toy hauler. It will have kitchen, bathroom, beds and garage for dirt bikes. I will post pictures as I go. I have been reading this forum and others for a while now, but still will have lots of questions along the way.

Re: 8.5x24 Toy Hauler Conversion

Postby flboy » Mon May 23, 2016 7:20 pm

Welcome and I am anxious to watch your trailer progress. I am in the middle of an 18*7 Vnose right now myself. If I can help, just let me know.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby AnthonyH » Tue May 24, 2016 11:20 am

I got the image thing figured out so here are some pictures. Starting at the factory to the point I am at now, insulating walls.

Postby AnthonyH » Wed May 25, 2016 1:02 am

After insulation I need to get my holding tanks in so I can pull the floor. I need tanks that are no wider than 14 inches and no deeper than 10 inches. Length is not really a concern since I have 77 inches between main frame. Where are you guys sourcing your tanks? I plan on about 40 gallon fresh between the axles, grey between the frame ribs in front of the axle and black in front of that.

Postby flboy » Wed May 25, 2016 4:26 am

I got my black and gray from a donor camper. There is a place on ebay that has a lot of tanks of various sizes. I got the fresh water from and Ebay seller.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed May 25, 2016 12:56 pm

Ebay and Amazon. Check out Ameri-Kart. Lots of shapes and sizes. Don't rush into this. Do the math, measure twice, consider needs and volumes, locations and weights, then do the math again. These tanks are not cheap. Here's what I'm using...http://www.amazon.com/Ameri-Kart-H086-H ... ge_o03_s00
You might want to check with Tommy B , he is having one custom made.
Good luck, keep us posted.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Wookie97 » Thu May 26, 2016 10:09 pm

Another good place to look for holding or waste tanks is Inca Plastics. Tons of different sizes available.
Wookie97
Teardrop Builder

Postby AnthonyH » Sat Jun 04, 2016 1:17 am

Finished with the insulation. Thought I would show what I did. I used 1/2" R Max foam board that has a 3.6 R value. Looking at the data on the board, if it is combined with a 3/4" air space the air space adds an additional 2.7 R value. I figure I ended up with about a 5.5 R value and that is probably as good as any factory RV.

To get the air space I cut strip of the scrap board and glued them to the inside of the outer skin. I then glued the board in place on the strips to keep everything in place while going down the road.

I could have added another board to have an inch total insulation, but that would have been twice the amount of material and it seemed tight with two full boards stuffed in there.

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:56 am

AnthonyH wrote:Finished with the insulation. Thought I would show what I did. I used 1/2" R Max foam board that has a 3.6 R value. Looking at the data on the board, if it is combined with a 3/4" air space the air space adds an additional 2.7 R value. I figure I ended up with about a 5.5 R value and that is probably as good as any factory RV.

To get the air space I cut strip of the scrap board and glued them to the inside of the outer skin. I then glued the board in place on the strips to keep everything in place while going down the road.

I could have added another board to have an inch total insulation, but that would have been twice the amount of material and it seemed tight with two full boards stuffed in there.

Looks good! Thanks for posting the pics! :thumbsup:

The main thing is to make sure each panel is sealed up so there is no air bypass (thermal bypass) around the foam. The Aluminum tape works good for that. I was lucky at the Hope Depot where I live. The have a 3/4 in. R5 foam and I was able to leave a 1/4 gap between the insulation and the paneling.
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby AnthonyH » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:25 am

Thanks for the heads up Don. I cut all the boards so they were a tight fit between the wall studs to keep from having to use the tape. Those studs get hot and I would have liked to have added a thermal break over them, but that was more than I was willing to do. I think the 15000 btu AC will keep it cool. This is primarily just a motocross rig and right now we are out in the elements so this will be like a luxurious hotel compared to what we normally do.

Next is to start the build on cabinets and get electric done. Was going to install water heater today, but they shipped white cover instead of black.

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:18 pm

AnthonyH wrote:Thanks for the heads up Don. I cut all the boards so they were a tight fit between the wall studs to keep from having to use the tape. Those studs get hot and I would have liked to have added a thermal break over them, but that was more than I was willing to do. I think the 15000 btu AC will keep it cool. This is primarily just a motocross rig and right now we are out in the elements so this will be like a luxurious hotel compared to what we normally do.

Next is to start the build on cabinets and get electric done. Was going to install water heater today, but they shipped white cover instead of black.

YW. If they are tight that is good enough. My inside studs are not square tubes. They are the P-Hat type and very hard to get a tight fit with the two edges to get the panels under... plus my cutting skills leave something to be desired! :-) I actually foamed and taped which is probably overkill... but it didn't wan't any air gaps to defeat the purpose of the insulation.

Oh, I am sure your 15,000 BTU will keep you cool. I still remember the days of the dirtbiking/camping trips in the Florida summers with my son where we had only tents. The cargo trailer is definitely an upgrade... especially if you have AC!

Take care and have fun with the build!
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:32 pm

15k btu?!! That ought to get it D**k Shrinking cold in there! But hey, Too Much Is Never Enough, just sayin'...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby AnthonyH » Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:25 pm

More build pictures and update.
I got the insulation completed. I have the electrical mostly completed. Painted the walls. Installed E-track. Installed water heater. Installed loading/backup lights. Going to get the trim painted and installed this weekend and then I can install the strip led lights. Might get to framing the bathroom this weekend too.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Postby hankaye » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:59 am

AnthonyH, Howdy;

Quick question, ... are you planning on venting the battery compartment
or is that one of those batteries that doesn't require it?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby AnthonyH » Sat Jul 23, 2016 10:09 am

It's a sealed AGM battery. Doesn't require venting. I specifically went with that one so I would not have to vent it. That compartment is actually going to be the closet above where the electronics are. There will be a false floor in the bottom of the closet that can be removed to access the battery and the electric panel. I will also have a vent grid in the side so that cool air can get in since the electric panel has a built-in fan

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions