6X12 SS&S

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6X12 SS&S

Postby Iconfabul8 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 3:26 am

Bowtie76 wrote:
Iconfabul8 wrote:Preparing to cut some more holes in my trailer. :worship:
So how are you securing the wood backing for your outlets, did you just press fit them in the insulation?
I'm about to add mine but I was going to go stud to stud for support, but would like to maximize insulation vs wood support like you.

After setting the wood blocks snugly in the foam (I may have put a little silicon between the block and aluminum to help keep things steady,) I used the rotozip to cut the outside skin using the hole as a guide. Then reinstalled the wall wood and drilled a hole through the inside wall from the outside to mark where the hole was. Went back inside and used the router to cut the hole in the inside wall. Then to answer your question, I put screws through the wall wood into the backing blocks. Makes a very solid backing to screw inlets/outlets to. The one thing you have to do to make this work is, make sure your wood block is the same thickness as the wall cavity. Mine was 1" so in the picture you can see I used two pieces of 1/2", another time I used some 3/4" and 1/4" together. I hope this helps.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:12 am

Iconfabul8 wrote:
Bowtie76 wrote:
So how are you securing the wood backing for your outlets, did you just press fit them in the insulation?
I'm about to add mine but I was going to go stud to stud for support, but would like to maximize insulation vs wood support like you.

After setting the wood blocks snugly in the foam (I may have put a little silicon between the block and aluminum to help keep things steady,) I used the rotozip to cut the outside skin using the hole as a guide. Then reinstalled the wall wood and drilled a hole through the inside wall from the outside to mark where the hole was. Went back inside and used the router to cut the hole in the inside wall. Then to answer your question, I put screws through the wall wood into the backing blocks. Makes a very solid backing to screw inlets/outlets to. The one thing you have to do to make this work is, make sure your wood block is the same thickness as the wall cavity. Mine was 1" so in the picture you can see I used two pieces of 1/2", another time I used some 3/4" and 1/4" together. I hope this helps.

Thanks for the clear explanation. I have been thinking about a way to cut holes in my trailer after I already installed insulation and plywood interior walls. I think your ingenious method is great!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:42 am

I could be wrong, but with just foam, a tight fit and Gorilla Glue may have been plenty strong enough, without the wood.

But that way lots easier to replace if for some reason the box got damaged?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Bowtie76 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:00 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:
Bowtie76 wrote:

Awesome.

Thank you. Just drilled my first hole in the trailer. Used a similar method to you.
Bowtie76
Teardrop Inspector

Do not buy this holding tank!

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu May 17, 2018 11:30 pm

Warning!
ImageImage
http://www.icondirect.com/holding-tank- ... ht630bsbd/
https://www.amazon.com/ICON-Holding-HT6 ... zonebiz-20

Whatever you do, do not buy this holding tank! It is bad for so many reasons. First problem was the vent hole was too big. I had to mess around with a work around (Page 6.) I should have cut my losses and tossed it right then. Second is the bottom drain hole is raised and doesn't allow all the crap to drain. I have to fill and drain it about 4 times while dumping, it is a pain in the butt. Third is the plastic glued on toilet flange, It seemed like a good idea at the time, to be able to just mount the pot right on top of the tank and not mess with grommets and such. Wow was I mistaken. Flimsy piece of junk. It may have worked for a few trips with a light weight plastic toilet but I doubt I would even make it to the freeway with my heavy porcelain head.

So here is my fix. Just so you know, I am all ready for your comments, like "Gee Steve, 3/8" Turnbuckles holding down the toilet, what have you been eating?" "What kind of internal pressures you dealing with Steve?" Haha

Well it is a good thing I put concrete between the floor and this tank. A solid base allowed me to suck it down snug (hand tighten) and the turnbuckles are angled slightly back so it holds it against the wall and the spacer board. I painted the spacer board to look like a rock, and so I call it, the "Head Stone." I also put some T nuts in the back of the headstone in case I decide to clamp the John to the wall as well. Oh and did I mention, it is very solid now. I am now a "Happy Crapper" ---> :poop:

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Fri May 18, 2018 7:45 am

That toilet is not going anywhere! I did not realize that tank was so problematic for you.

I just put a 3" grommet into mine after cutting the hole and the flange attached to the 3/4 plywood decking and extented in to seal in the grommet, but the tank is all underneath the floor.

That is really strange about the opening of the pipe and tank.

Can you get some self leveling floor materiel and pour in there to get the bottom brought up to the output pipe... of course make sure you are level first or jack drain side about an inch in the process to get a slight slant at level such that all blackwater flows toward drain. ;-) Will loose some tank volume but may be worth it to get the clean dump first time.

Or..... you could just make it easy and carry a small leveling ramp to drive one wheel up onto by the dump to tilt the trailer towards the drain hose. I'd probably do that and call it a day..

My output pipe actually drops down slightly from the tank and the tank is deeper on the drain end to drain every last drop. I assumed that was normal.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Sat May 19, 2018 6:25 pm

flboy wrote:
My output pipe actually drops down slightly from the tank and the tank is deeper on the drain end to drain every last drop. I assumed that was normal.

Yeah, that's the first one I have seen with a "lip" there. Good work on the warning for future installs. Not sure if you'd be able to tell from ads. Well, just stay away from Pancho's Mexican Buffet when you are on the road.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:04 am

I got talking toilets and realized I hadn't posted a decent pic of my bathroom. So Here are a few pics with the fisheye lens.

Standing in the shower.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Thu May 24, 2018 11:21 am

Beautiful!
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby flboy » Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm

I never thought about using a fisheye lense! Your BR looks great. Nice roomy shower!

I had a snap on fisheye for mycell phone I have never used. Never could get the whole bathroom or kitchen in a single shot. A bit distorted.. but it works! Thanks Icon! I have a panoramic I have tried, but it didn't do it either.

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Joel.brian » Thu May 24, 2018 11:00 pm

Looks great guys. I’m jealous of the full bathrooms. I’m just gonna have a portapotty sitting in the shower stall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joel.brian
Teardrop Advisor

Postby JRAnt74 » Sat May 26, 2018 6:12 pm

Iconfabul8
Your trailer is amazing! Your build and Flboys were the first ones read all the way thru and you guys do awesome work. Got me itchin like made to get in gear building my trailer!

James
JRAnt74
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Sat May 26, 2018 9:53 pm

JRAnt74, Howdy;

Here's another build that will help with the creative juices. Jiffypop207's 7X14 build.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60663

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun May 27, 2018 12:52 am

featherliteCT1 wrote:Beautiful!

Joel.brian wrote:Looks great guys. I’m jealous of the full bathrooms. I’m just gonna have a portapotty sitting in the shower stall.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JRAnt74 wrote:Iconfabul8
Your trailer is amazing! Your build and Flboys were the first ones read all the way thru and you guys do awesome work. Got me itchin like mad to get in gear building my trailer!

James

Thanks James, Joel and featherlite . Welcome to the forum James. Sounds like you already have a trailer, what do you have?
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun May 27, 2018 1:11 am

flboy wrote:I never thought about using a fisheye lense! Your BR looks great. Nice roomy shower!

Thanks Don, yes I do love my roomy shower. And your Bathroom is so homey, It makes me want to brush my teeth or something! :D :thumbsup: :applause: Love the fisheye shots too :thumbsup:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions