6X12 SS&S

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6X12 SS&S

Postby Iconfabul8 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 4:20 am

Welcome to my 6X12 SS&S (S**t Shower & Sleep) CTC!! This will be my (very small) Hotel room on wheels.
I just picked her up from the Pace factory in Springville, UT today. I've been waiting a long time for for this custom order.
    6" extra height
    RV door w/step
    Move door as far back as possible
    45 deg down start Torflex axle w/brakes
    White vinyl ceiling

Just got hooked up in the factory parking lot.

Nightshot. Just got home.

Table of Contents
Page 1: You are here so look around! First pics, Trailer description, Panel removal and begin insulating.
Page 2: Air conditioner install, Window headers and sills welded in. Talk about lighting.
Page 3: Insulation, Replace wall panels, ,More holes in trailer (Power and water inlets mounted,) Porchlight, and Factory screw up fixed.
Page 4: Ceiling up, Cargo and bad guy light mounted, Floor plan divulged, Shower stall moved inside and mounded, First wall!
Page 5: Bathroom floor, Ceiling lights.
Page 6: Bathroom wall, First pieces of trim, Bathroom fan, and Black tank fix.
Page 7: More holes ("The Dog Dish",) Install water heater, A little paint in the bathroom, Mount the waste valves.
Page 8: Mount gray water tank, Plumb gray and blackwater tanks, Build the gray tank inlet T confabulation, Start the shower sump install.
Page 9: Finish shower sump, Build propane tank mount and run gas pipe, Install shower valve and fresh water tank, Plumbed gray tank inlet. 1st WH experiance
Page 10: Build and mount rear bumper/stinky slinky holder.
Page 11: Bought a bed (futon mattress) and Batteries. Battery charging discussion ensued.
Page 12: Built the bed/couch frame, Fabricated the Battery box, Took a little trip to Idaho/Wyo to watch the sun disappear.
Page 13: Begin the indoor water plumbing (Manifold.)
Page 14: Finish water plumbing, Build DC buss board, More molding.
Page 15: Wood block molding, Finished side walls (Cedar t&g, tin, molding, plugs and switches,) Gas line pics, Inverter wired and mounded.
Page 16: Television and glass table installed.
Page 17: Water heater vent pipe and glass table revisited. Begin building overhead storage/luggage rack.
Page 18: 3 final lights mounted (Copper conduit), Begin discussion on cutting holes in trailer.
Page 19: More holes discussed, Toilet fix, Bathroom fisheye pics.
Page 20: Paper towel rack and TP holder, Overhead compartment door, First window installed.
Page 21: Pine Valley trip, Leveling jacks installed.
Page 22: WiFi Booster, Sink
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:04 am, edited 21 times in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Re: 6X12 SS&S

Postby walkrdg » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:11 am

Well, that's pretty nifty having the side door back where you have it. That would give you some interesting design options inside. I like it!

Dave
walkrdg
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:00 am

Very nice! I'll be following your build.

walkrdg wrote:Well, that's pretty nifty having the side door back where you have it. That would give you some interesting design options inside. I like it!

Dave

That will give you a lot of usable space!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby McDave » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:37 pm

I like it...a lot.
Good luck, I'll be here...watching. 8)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:58 pm

Very Nice! I am looking forward to following your progress> :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Gettin Started » Fri Jun 17, 2016 8:32 pm

Nice looking trailer. Enjoy your build!
Gettin Started
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:37 am

Nothing is ever easy is it? I started stripping the inside to get ready for insulation, and all the various and sundry holes I need to punch in this thing. Well half the boards have screws in them from outside the trailer. But the worst was the 120 or so staples every couple inches holding the vinyl clad boards to the ceiling. If you look close at the first picture you can see them all along the edges. The second picture and video shows my solution. I cut off a bolt, drilled a hole through it, sharpened it and cut a few teeth in it. The pic shows it after I had used it a while and is a bit dull. I had to sharpen it a few times. If I were doing it again I would make it out of a #8 bolt and harden it. Those staples are rough on the edge when you hit one. I suppose I may have been able to get under the staple with a tool of some sort and pull the staples through the board, I just figured this would cause less damage. Trim should cover it all in the end.

Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:44 am

Is there insulation under the ceiling panels or do you have to remove them to install insulation?
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:05 am

flboy wrote:Is there insulation under the ceiling panels or do you have to remove them to install insulation?

Removing to insulate. I originally ordered factory insulation because I didn't want to go through this, but I learned that they use bubble wrap, so I cancelled.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby FlyBye » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:56 pm

I really like the idea of moving the door back a bit. It really opens up the options for you. Looking forward to seeing the floor plan and progress you make.
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:55 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:
flboy wrote:Is there insulation under the ceiling panels or do you have to remove them to install insulation?

Removing to insulate. I originally ordered factory insulation because I didn't want to go through this, but I learned that they use bubble wrap, so I cancelled.

I see. Sorry you had to go through the staple removal to get the panels off. I am in the process of putting up ceiling panel myself. I am using screws. Best of luck with your build. I like your trailer.. I can see the back end of your truck in the photo. It looks like mine from the rear.. I have a White F150 4x4 tow vehicle also, :-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:01 pm

I am sure this isn't too exciting for everyone else. It is after all just another trailer with all the wood off and some xps insulation in the ceiling. But I am as giddy as a schoolgirl! :P :dancing
What have you all been paying for 1" xps?
Since the ceiling already had the wood on the struts for mounting the vinyl panels, I am going to put some 1/2" eps in between the boards. It should help a little.
Last edited by Iconfabul8 on Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:14 pm

flboy wrote: I see. Sorry you had to go through the staple removal to get the panels off. I am in the process of putting up ceiling panel myself. I am using screws. Best of luck with your build. I like your trailer.. I can see the back end of your truck in the photo. It looks like mine from the rear.. I have a White F150 4x4 tow vehicle also, :-) :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I can guarantee you that I will be using screws when it goes back up. Luckily they used screws in the field. Yep, I have enjoyed my f150 so far. It has the Ecoboost and "knock on wood" it has been amazing so far. It's a 2011 and I have about 150K on it.
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Gettin Started » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:21 am

Yes we all posted the same insulation pics, but I like to see them anyway. I think we all relive our build vicariously by watching others complete theirs, and we're happy to see you making the same progress we remember from our own builds.
Gettin Started
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:19 am

Iconfabul8 wrote: I can guarantee you that I will be using screws when it goes back up. Luckily they used screws in the field. Yep, I have enjoyed my f150 so far. It has the Ecoboost and "knock on wood" it has been amazing so far. It's a 2011 and I have about 150K on it.

That is great on your F150! I have a 2011 also but only 46,000 miles so far. I have the 302 V8 in mine, but love it! Nice job on the insulation!
Don (Flboy)

flboy
Gold Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions