6x10 Oregon Cargo Camper Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 6x10 Oregon Cargo Camper Conversion

Postby Mark959 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:14 pm

flboy wrote:How many aH of battery storage you putting in the system?

Using 6V batteries in series so I could have more capacity in the future. Have a total of roughly 230 AH, can double to 460 AH in parallel while still staying 12V in the future. I heard you don't want to do more than a set of parallel batteries if you can help it.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:55 pm

well everything showed up already, much faster than expected.

Panels look good, going to fabricate a roof rack that I can tilt the panels on - not rotate-able just tilt-able.

Ordered a battery box. a bit spendier than I wanted to go with it, but it was the perfect size and more reliable than plastic.
I got this guy in black:
http://www.rvlockbox.com/shop/27-alumin ... y-lock-box

Which is similar to and a lot cheaper than this one:
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-an ... 7708R.html

I will need to pad the bottom and will probably insulate the sides. I like that servicing the batteries should be easy. Plenty of room for my charge controller, fuse box, maybe the inverter too.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 am

Well I dug out some old 1.5" angle iron scraps, welded up the battery box bracket.

I was able to stand on it while holding weights, put about 350lbs of weight and then jumped up and down on it and it didn't give. Batteries together plus the box are about 140lbs.

Might add another support or two if necessary, originally I wanted to do 3 or 4 but there isn't a whole lot of space.

1.jpg
1.jpg (136.51 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (110 KiB) Viewed 5629 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (61.46 KiB) Viewed 5629 times

It started getting dark so the photos got worse. I flipped one angle iron over, ground down the other two that act as the support, so that it would nestle in there, and welded it in three rows making a sort of 3D Z shape. Then I went on the inside and added another bead to each corner. It is very strong, so if one support fails it should give me warning time, I try to plan for the worst, hope for the best.

The two supports I drileld three holes into each of them, spot welded those holes to the main beam right there, and the supports extend another 9 inches from the wall to some C-channel that makes the joists of the floor. I welded beads along both sides of each support to the frame, and then used a piece of 1/2" square steel tube to bridge the gap between the c-channel and angle iron, running beads on them
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Mark959 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:46 pm

I know I am pretty much talking to myself but I may as well post an update :wine:

I attached the awning, I got an 8x7 patio awning that doesn't have any support legs. If I need some I can get some that bolt onto it, but I prefer not having tripping hazards. It was under 120$ shipped to my door step, already assembled. I just had to figure out how to attach the two mounts.

The door clears the awning with about an inch and a half to spare, with room to adjust it higher if I wanted.
trailer awning.jpg
trailer awning.jpg (94.79 KiB) Viewed 5559 times

Also bought a 4-pack of 5k jacks, no more wiggle when I walk around the trailer. 5k is overkill but the price was cheaper than most of the weaker ones so why not. Not sure if I will weld all four on, or use some huge self tappers.

Now I just need to fab up the roof rack for my solar panels, finish insulating the ceiling, install wiring and lights, order water tanks, order a new grill for cooking, order the front box, install the last window, maybe a couple other things ;)

Eventually I want a ramp deck that I can use for a patio (or extended sleep area if I get another awning and mosquito netting), but that will be a season or two later on.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:23 pm

I always talk to myself

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:09 pm

Hey Mark,
Your not talking to yourself, I've been with ya every step. I'm the big guy that keeps knocking everything over.
Gotta give ya the kudos on the awning, if you are like me you wont get more than 15-20 days a year to camp etc. and at that price you could replace every year or two and still be $$$ ahead.

Mine is 10x8. 146.00 shipped That's crazy. It works nice, only about 45 lbs. Not hard to remove for transport or winter storage. I'm just finishing up a cover made from PVC gutter and mounted to the mounts I fabbed. Keeping it out of the sun and bird poop will help to extend the life of the tarp.
If you get a chance get a pic of your mounts, just curious. I'll show you mine...
So, that's like 700.00 savings. First time I didn't get the eyeroll from wifey in a long time. Taking the rig to Red lodge next weekend for the Ironhorse Rodeo and Beartooth Pass Rally. Always much fun.
I'll get a pic of the cover when done.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:50 am

Where is it that these awnings are so affordable?
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:45 am

Hey Jscwerve,
I picked mine up around March so it was a little cheaper, but this is the place. Great cust. service, had some minor shipping damage but they handled it great. I was very impressed.

https://www.vidaxl.com/e/8718475923367/ ... 130_to_170

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:58 am

Ahh, Thanks McDave.

Unfortunately, probably won't work for me. I've seen many an awning destroyed by wind around here. Have to have something that can attach to the ground.

Sorry to trample the thread! Back to your regularly programmed updates!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:32 am

McDave
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:09 pm

McDave wrote:Hey Jscwerve ,
Here ya go...
https://www.amazon.com/Awning-Assist-Br ... pport+legs

McDave

With my SunSetter house awning, my contingency plan for bad wind conditions when the awning is out is to run a rope from the awning to the deck railing. Similar concept to these poles. This rope approach could also be applied to Camper awnings.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:51 pm

Here are some shots of the cover. PVC gutter and end caps bolted to the mounts I fabbed up. Gave em the 80mph test seems fine. will use bungees and Velcro straps all around. Took off valence, it flaps hard and I'm not sure I like it but it may come in handy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Mark959 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:00 am

I got this puppy for 119 shipped, 8x7:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ ... UTF8&psc=1

They dont make them in any colors other than beige, green, red, maybe a few other colors... I thought about 10x8, those are cheap too but it would have extended past the flats of the trailer, wouldn't have worked out well... Ebay and amazon, both have awnings cheap. "real" RV awnings cost a LOT more...

I have had it extended now since the day I put it in almost two weeks ago. We have had some good gusts but it hasn't budged. I think the gap helps keep it from being so much of a sail... I might have to do my own gutter or cut a pipe lengthwise to lessen it for when the rain comes back though.

@Jscwerve you can get folding legs that attach to make it a normal -ground-mounted leggy version for around 100 or so... Or you can just straight up order the awnings with legs that either attach to the trailer or ground for around the same price. I personally prefer no legs, or else I would be walking into them constantly. But it is nice to have the option to attach the folding ones like McDave linked.

What size trailer is that McDave? Almost looks like we have twins :applause: . Also nice bikes!

Here are the jacks I got, i am going to punch some self tappers into them and call it good.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-4-5000LB ... 2749.l2649

Still have to finish making the roof rack for the solar panels, finish insulating the ceiling, and if I am lucky I can finish plumbing before I head out to Eastern Oregon.
Mark959
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Lesbest » Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:25 pm

Looking for parts and components .....don't forget some of the Marine catalogs. Overtons, West Marine, and the trailer supply houses in Elkhart, IN. they have RV over runs and last years designs for everything from small campers to buses. Hope this helps.
Les
Music is like chocolate.......you can't really enjoy it unless the rappers are gone.
Lesbest
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:04 pm

Mark959 wrote:What size trailer is that McDave? Almost looks like we have twins :applause: . Also nice bikes!

Hey Mark,
The trailer is a 2005 Pace Journey 6x12. I bought it for a work trailer years ago. Found it on Craigslist from Rapid City, It was in Feb. and not a lot of people are looking for trailers at -20 or -30f. As it happened, the owner was heading this way anyway, so he delivered it. I took him out to lunch and we had a few cocktails, been friends since. We get together during Sturgis and if he comes this way as well.
I do love them scoots. Always looking for the next one, but I'm keeping these two. The Chief is the wife's favourite, so it stays, and the Street Glyde is just too cool. It shakes hard at idle and it's kinda loud, but it is a rocket. That Screamin' Eagle engine is worth more than the bike itself. I can see why, it is scary fast.
Your trailer must be 10ft? The 10 ft awning was all I could fit on the flat. Those round corners eat up a foot on each side!
I used it last weekend and it worked awesome. So nice to have shade for everybody and it really helped keep the trailer cooler from AM to about 1:00 Pm. My neighbours moved in there and kept their bikes out of the sun so the seats were not so hot. Good Idea!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions