RC 12 ft. v-nose conversion begun.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

RC 12 ft. v-nose conversion begun.

Postby jerry4570 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:59 am

I purchased an R.C. 12 ft. v-nose ct a few weeks ago with intentions to make it a toy hauler/camper. I have just started insulating the walls and ceiling and have a window coming. I should finish the insulation this weekend and maybe tackle the window next wkend. Anticipating the build, I have already built the bed and composting toilet, ready to install when the insulation and floor is finished, also picked up a 15 gallon tank sprayer this weekend for fresh water when boondocking.

I would appreciate any input, especially toward insulating the ceiling. I put 1" pink board insulation in the walls and bought the same in 3/4" for the ceiling, believing that it would flex enough to follow the contour. I plan to use 3/16" underlayment on the ceiling and paint the ceiling and walls before starting the floor, is there a better material for the ceiling? Also, what is the best treatment for the small and hard to reach voids?

jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Re: RC 12 ft. v-nose conversion begun.

Postby Gettin Started » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:44 pm

Congratulations, enjoy your build.
Gettin Started
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:20 pm

jerry4570 wrote:I purchased an R.C. 12 ft. v-nose ct a few weeks ago with intentions to make it a toy hauler/camper. I have just started insulating the walls and ceiling and have a window coming. I should finish the insulation this weekend and maybe tackle the window next wkend. Anticipating the build, I have already built the bed and composting toilet, ready to install when the insulation and floor is finished, also picked up a 15 gallon tank sprayer this weekend for fresh water when boondocking.

I would appreciate any input, especially toward insulating the ceiling. I put 1" pink board insulation in the walls and bought the same in 3/4" for the ceiling, believing that it would flex enough to follow the contour. I plan to use 3/16" underlayment on the ceiling and paint the ceiling and walls before starting the floor, is there a better material for the ceiling? Also, what is the best treatment for the small and hard to reach voids?

Good luck on your build and congratulations on the new trailer! :thumbsup:

I double insulated my ceiling by putting in insulation between the existing ceiling beams and then I ran 1*2 furring strip long ways and put in another round of the foam and taped it all up. The furring strips made a perfect medium for screwing 1/8 inch Luan Plywood (which I think was underlayment) into which I used for the ceiling panels... (paint them before putting them up... much easier and neater!) .. You can check out my build in the link on my signature. There are detailed pics on the insulation and ceiling work about half way through.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jerry4570 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:24 pm

Thank you, I'll check it out.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:32 am

Congrats on your cargo trailer purchase. I look forward to your construction/conversion!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jerry4570 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:22 pm

Don, I spent quite some time reviewing your build thread, and man did you do a great job. I dont believe that I will double the insulation in the ceiling as you did because I dont have the extra height and am already concerned about the height feeling restrictive. I may live to regret it, Texas sun is as hot as Florida sun.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:06 pm

jerry4570 wrote:Don, I spent quite some time reviewing your build thread, and man did you do a great job. I dont believe that I will double the insulation in the ceiling as you did because I dont have the extra height and am already concerned about the height feeling restrictive. I may live to regret it, Texas sun is as hot as Florida sun.

I certainly understand. My last CTC was 6" and a few inches... I am 6' so it makes a difference. The double insulation would take about 1.125" to account for the 1*2 furring strip and the .125" thick Luan Plywood.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby jerry4570 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 3:26 pm

I certainly understand. My last CTC was 6" and a few inches... I am 6' so it makes a difference. The double insulation would take about 1.125" to account for the 1*2 furring strip and the .125" thick Luan Plywood.

Yeah, my ceiling is right at 6 ft. and I have to duck going out the back door. I certainly will take some ques from your build thread, it definitely shows that this was not your first build.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

First outing in incomplete ctc

Postby jerry4570 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:26 pm

Progress has been slow since life goes on whatever projects we have pending. I decided to take a week in the ctc just to see how it felt and what inspiration I could get from spending time in it. I have insulated the walls and ceiling, added stabilizer jacks, installed a window and base cabinet/counter top in front, and put down flooring the day before I took off for a week. Upon arrival at lake bardwell, I set up an external hd tv antenna, drill/sawed a two in. hole for basic power with the NOCO Genius GCP1 Black 13 Amp 125V AC Port Plug, which will be upgraded later.
After two days at bardwell I went across to Purtis creek state park for the rest of the week where the fishing was the best.
I used a composting toilet and had no sink installed. I have purchased a R.V. sink but havent installed it yet. I determined that I need plumbing immediately and 110 v. lighting. I used a 12v. strip light that was bright as hell but used a lot of power, so 110 will be ideal when I have shore power. I realized that I do have room for a real bathroom since I will be hinging the bed up against the wall.
The boondocking water tank will go under the left side of the cabinet and a fold down table somewhere this side of the window, the bath should go in the left rear. Any suggestions?
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Postby aggie79 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:58 am

Jerry,

I can't help you with any suggestions, since I'm about 3 years into the cargo trailer conversion information gathering mode, but I wanted to congratulate you on your first outing. I think it is good to camp in it for awhile before finishing it out to find out what you want/need and what you don't want/need. We first camped in our teardrop when it was just a "shell" with no cabinets, electrical, etc. That led to the decision to not include the cooler in the galley even though it was planned to be there.

BTW, we've been to Purtis Creek but haven't been to Lake Bardwell. I'll add that to our destinations list.

Good luck and take care,
Tom
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby jerry4570 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:59 pm

Thanks Tom, it was good to spend some time in it and really get the feel for what I must have and what I can live without. I went to Hi Point park and wont go back until they re-open Waxahachie creek park in March. Fishing is good in many places on Bardwell but Waxahachie creek is much prettier in my opinion, lots of old trees, therefore shade and wind break. I was on a south facing point at Hi Point when the storm came through last Sunday, it was a little rough.
jerry4570
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions