First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Postby aggie79 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:30 am

Very nice trailer and work! I really like the outside mounted table. I'll definitely be following your build!
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby tsyj » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:01 pm

My windows arrived earlier than expected, so I cutout the door hole and threw it in to see how it looks. Need to get some more silicone tomorrow before I mount it permanently.
Not bad units for "used" off fleabay.

I'm still planning on camping on black Friday, so I have to get it in gear this weekend. Probably won't get the Kitchen area finished, but I will at least have it insulated and the luan plywood back up. It will be so much better than a tent on the beach with lows dipping in to the low 40's.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:04 pm

Oh yeah, I am going to re-do my outside table. It's too bulky as-is. I've got a new idea, but I need to make the top metal first. Hopefully tomorrow.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:16 am

Wife and I were talking and we couldn't exactly figure out why the Kitchen area needed to be in the back of the trailer other than that's how teardrops historically are.
I'm moving the sink and grille area out to the side. I extended the shelf the whole 6'-6" length of the side of the trailer. I bought another french cleat, and used some 120lb chain to hang the top from the trailer frame.
This seems a lot less bulky than the last idea. Of course I already made the metal top for the last table, so I need to make a new one this week.

The back is now going to be storage for both inside and out. Going to be working on that in the next couple days.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:50 am

I was thinking about a similar setup where I would use a painted 'Composite Decking Board' attached permanently to the trailer and attach the French Cleat to the board. That will reduce the chances of scratching Trailer Skin when hanging the table. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selectio ... t/50249889
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:38 pm

Hader wrote:I was thinking about a similar setup where I would use a painted 'Composite Decking Board' attached permanently to the trailer and attach the French Cleat to the board. That will reduce the chances of scratching Trailer Skin when hanging the table. https://www.lowes.com/pd/Style-Selectio ... t/50249889

Hmmm. Good Idea. I was trying to figure out how to keep from scratching my paint.
Might have to look into that.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:06 pm

:applause: Davey Likey!
Much more stabile and useable and lighter. Also, it frees up the barn doors and they can be used for things like shower enclosure or dressing room, etc. . It might be handy to have a place where you can stand up "fully erect" and have some privacy.
Just sayin', ... ;) ...
Enjoy your trip and Happy Thanksgiving.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:31 am

Window install looks great! Same for the revised counter arrangement. :thumbsup:
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby PaulzOx » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:33 am

tsyj wrote:Wife and I were talking and we couldn't exactly figure out why the Kitchen area needed to be in the back of the trailer other than that's how teardrops historically are.
I'm moving the sink and grille area out to the side. I extended the shelf the whole 6'-6" length of the side of the trailer. I bought another french cleat, and used some 120lb chain to hang the top from the trailer frame.
This seems a lot less bulky than the last idea. Of course I already made the metal top for the last table, so I need to make a new one this week.

The back is now going to be storage for both inside and out. Going to be working on that in the next couple days.

I like your setup using the French cleats, after seeing this one I may have to switch mine out.

Just curious... How do you plan on plumbing the sink?

Paul
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby tsyj » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:02 am

McDave wrote::applause: Davey Likey!
Much more stabile and useable and lighter. Also, it frees up the barn doors and they can be used for things like shower enclosure or dressing room, etc. . It might be handy to have a place where you can stand up "fully erect" and have some privacy.
Just sayin', ... ;) ...
Enjoy your trip and Happy Thanksgiving.

McDave

Thanks McDave, I'm picking up what you're putting down. That's a great idea.

aggie79 wrote:Window install looks great! Same for the revised counter arrangement. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 am

So the trip was a success, even though the trailer is only maybe 50% where it needs to be. Slept well, everything setup nicely. What a difference sleeping on a nice memory foam mattress in a solid enclosure is as opposed to an air mattress in a tent. I think the best part is it helped to drown out most of the noises of the campground except for the idiot in the diesel that needed to jockey his camper around at 5:00 a.m. for 45 minutes.

Had quite a few people stop in and look at things and want to talk about future ideas. Everyone loved the cleat. I must have cleared the top and taken it down a half dozen times for people.

Here's a few pics.

Fully setup and cooking breakfast:

Had 4 guests for breakfast each day.

The table worked great. So much so that Wife and I decided that we didn't want to sacrifice any space for a sink. We have a little 1 gallon jug of water for quick hand washing and such you can see on the counter. We decided that a sink counter on the opposite side of the trailer would be perfect and out of the way. Also closer to the hookups at the campground. We have all of our stuff in Rubbermaid containers now for easy hauling. It gets tiresome jockeying 3 of them around to get into the one that's always on the bottom. So this is what we came up with for the rear door storage area:

1. Sink on drivers side of trailer
2. Shelf and cubbies for 1lb propane tanks and grill
3. Drawers for all other stuff inclusing utensil drawer
4. Behind right side door will be 8" deep area for tall storage (folding table, camp chairs, beach umbrella, etc. On the inside of the trailer, that will allow a space for shelves to hold sheets, towels, etc.

PaulzOx wrote:
I like your setup using the French cleats, after seeing this one I may have to switch mine out.

Just curious... How do you plan on plumbing the sink?

Paul

Paul, I'm going to cap off the hot side and use a washing machine hose on the cold side for quick hookup to a RV hose to the camp bibb, and a 1.5" flex hose into a bucket or even a portable greywater tank depending on how much water we actually use.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:51 am

tsyj, Howdy;

Have you considered recessing your sink and using a cover like they do in
full sized RV's? That way you only need a slightly longer hose and save the
need to walk around to the other side for a quick rinse of the hands.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:20 pm

Looks great! Looks like Central Florida by the terrain (and small deer) .. Are you going to add an AC for the summers?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Nov 28, 2016 11:57 pm

I'm liking the idea of putting the sink on the street side, as you said, closer to the park hook-ups, and it kinda becomes a station of it own. Plus, we (I) rarely utilize that side of trailer once parked and hooked up. You got 2 sides, why not use em' both?
Looks like a great trip. Pretty complete looking campsite and the locals seem friendly.
I know that you have a design worked out for the side tables and they look great. I ran across this and thought you might find it interesting.
http://www.menards.com/main//p-14591849 ... yer_hosted
They are not inexpensive, but with the butcher block it may be worth it for the lesser experienced craftsman. Just food for thought.
Congrats on first outing.

McDave

This link may work better, I see they jacked the price a little...
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:20 am

hankaye wrote:tsyj, Howdy;

Have you considered recessing your sink and using a cover like they do in
full sized RV's? That way you only need a slightly longer hose and save the
need to walk around to the other side for a quick rinse of the hands.

hank

I have considered making a butcher block cover for the sink for when not in use, but honestly, having the "dish station" on the opposite side of the trailer seems to work like a charm. Like I said, we have a 1 gallon jug of water on the camp side for hand washing and mixed drinks and such already. We were lucky this time because we were close to the bathrooms and dish wash station so we used that for dishes. I think it'd be nice to have the option to not setup the sink side if we don't need it like we did last weekend. I guess I just really like making stuff, so I want to make another top, especially since I already bent the metal for it when I had the shorter workstation.

flboy wrote:Looks great! Looks like Central Florida by the terrain (and small deer) .. Are you going to add an AC for the summers?

Thanks! It is St Andrews SP in Panama City Beach. It was a perfect site, backed up to the dunes. Yes I am definitely going to add AC. Was going to add a 5k BTU window unit to the drivers side, but after visiting with another cargo camper at the park, I am looking into a portable unit and 3" vent hose instead....any input?

McDave wrote:I'm liking the idea of putting the sink on the street side, as you said, closer to the park hook-ups, and it kinda becomes a station of it own. Plus, we (I) rarely utilize that side of trailer once parked and hooked up. You got 2 sides, why not use em' both?
Looks like a great trip. Pretty complete looking campsite and the locals seem friendly.
I know that you have a design worked out for the side tables and they look great. I ran across this and thought you might find it interesting.
They are not inexpensive, but with the butcher block it may be worth it for the lesser experienced craftsman. Just food for thought.
Congrats on first outing.

McDave

This link may work better, I see they jacked the price a little...

I agree. The drivers side was just sitting there, and I'm like "we should be using this for something..
That is a nice top, and great idea. I like those hinges. I was actually searching for some hinges like that before I decided on the french cleats. I could use them in my cabinet business.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions