First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Postby tsyj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:39 am

Hello, I've been tent camping for a little while now on a homemade tent trailer as shown:

I'm ready for the next step now. I was looking at a Runaway Camper, but can't justify the $3,500-$5,000 price tag when I know I can convert a cargo trailer to meet my needs.

So I placed an order for a new 5x10 V-nose Arising cargo trailer last week. I am having it built with a height of 4'-6" instead of the stock 60" inside. I am using this as a sleeping unit up front, don't need nor want the extra height to pull with my Jeep.

Here's what I came up with. Basic layout, with rear cooking area barn doors, one to act as wind break, the other will have folding shelf to hold stove. All of this is typical of what I've seen on here and other sites. Only unusual thing I am thinking of doing is making the Kitchen area out of exterior grade materials and having a sliding window over the sink to allow extra light in the sleeping area and a pass-thru of sorts if someone is chilling inside (Wife as usual) as I'm cooking.

I have about 4 more weeks to go until my trailer will be ready, so I want to use this time to prep and get any criticism from the board.

Thanks!
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Re: First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Postby Id10t » Wed Sep 21, 2016 11:16 am

Very nice rig. I see your Natives in the background. What type of floating do you do?
Id10t
Teardrop Builder

Postby tsyj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 12:44 pm

Id10t wrote:Very nice rig. I see your Natives in the background. What type of floating do you do?

Thanks. They are setup mainly for flats fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, but we use them almost everywhere, whether fishing or floating down the river drinking beer.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Id10t » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:25 pm

tsyj wrote:
Id10t wrote:Very nice rig. I see your Natives in the background. What type of floating do you do?

Thanks. They are setup mainly for flats fishing in the Gulf of Mexico, but we use them almost everywhere, whether fishing or floating down the river drinking beer.

They are great boats for lakes, flats and slow moving water. I sold mine and went back to my Mad River Legend Canoe. We fish/float and camp Small Rivers and Creeks in the Ozarks year round for Smallmouth. The low gunnels and seat proved to be to much of a wet ride in the winter. Rapids in the summer are one thing Rapids in 40 degree weather are another thing and an entirely bad thing. 3-4 days on the water and being wet is no fun.

It was great in the spring and summer when I could stand and fish the long pools however it seemed like I spent more time getting up and down than I did fishing.

Or maybe I'm just getting old. Not as old as some of these guys who graduated in 1980 and 81 but not far behind. 83 makes me the pup. :cry:

Glad to see another Float Fisherman around. :beer:
Id10t
Teardrop Builder

Postby tsyj » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:32 pm

Yeah, they are great for calmer water. I tried launching one on the Atlantic side once.....won't make that mistake again. Good thing there's flotation blocks in both ends. Ha
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tucked » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:07 pm

Here's my 5x10 Arising trailer... have had very good luck with it so far.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsyj » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:25 am

tucked wrote:Here's my 5x10 Arising trailer... have had very good luck with it so far.

Nice, yeah I've read your build thread a few times now. :D
Glad to hear you've had good luck with your Arising..It looked so much better built than the other MFGR that was on the lot when I ordered.

Still waiting on my trailer, It was ordered 5 weeks ago yesterday...
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tucked » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:44 pm

Can't wait to see how yours turns out. Definitely will be following. I have dreams of flipping my axle and putting larger tires on mine soon. Still several things I want to do. I really wanted a ramp door when I bought mine, but so wish I had barn doors now. Post plenty of pics!
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby arbakken » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:37 pm

tucked wrote:I really wanted a ramp door when I bought mine, but so wish I had barn doors now. Post plenty of pics!

Why is that? I want a ramp door so it can be a porch
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby tucked » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:23 am

arbakken wrote:
tucked wrote:I really wanted a ramp door when I bought mine, but so wish I had barn doors now. Post plenty of pics!

I just really like all the rear galley's I've been seeing. I thought the porch idea sounded intriguing but i have yet to do that... and after camping several times in it I don't see myself going that route.
tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby tsyj » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:26 am

tucked wrote:
arbakken wrote:

I just really like all the rear galley's I've been seeing. I thought the porch idea sounded intriguing but i have yet to do that... and after camping several times in it I don't see myself going that route.

Yeah, same for me.

I am also thinking about installing a french cleat on the passenger side of the trailer maybe with (2) adjustable legs to hang a cooking/prep/etc table.
Supposed to have trailer by this Friday. Going to jump right on it because we have a trip planned for black friday weekend.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:34 am

Picked up my trailer today! Pulls great behind the Jeep. An axle flip will be my first mod so that it is a little bit closer to level because I don't want to drop my hitch anymore than I need to.
Unfortunately, I have a small cabinet job and have to make a piece of furniture before I can commit to starting on this. Hopefully I will get into it by the end of next week. Will update.

tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:29 am

Looks good man, congrats.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:59 pm

Dang, That's a nice looking unit right there. Nice Day for new toys, as well.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby aggie79 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:58 pm

McDave wrote:Dang, That's a nice looking unit right there. Nice Day for new toys, as well.

McDave

I agree and, as a CT conversion wannabe, have envy for your new trailer.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions