First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: First post, my 5x10 v-nose build

Postby hankaye » Tue Nov 29, 2016 11:22 am

tsyj, Howdy;

As for the Portable A/Cs they get mixed reviews here. Some swear by them others swear at them ...
Try the Google custome search box top center (sorta), and you'll be able to see what others have
had to say.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:06 pm

tsyj wrote:
Thanks! It is St Andrews SP in Panama City Beach. It was a perfect site, backed up to the dunes. Yes I am definitely going to add AC. Was going to add a 5k BTU window unit to the drivers side, but after visiting with another cargo camper at the park, I am looking into a portable unit and 3" vent hose instead....any input?

I have used both and the window unit will do a better job and do it more efficiently. The portable draws warm moist air in from outside the CTC to run across the condenser coil unless it is a 2 hose system. Also, you may a hard time finding a portable that is small enough to run off a 2000W generator whereas the 5000 BTU window units will cost less and you can run it with a small generator. Just some stuff to think about.

Either way you go.. your trailer is small enough where anything you put in is probably going to be overkill for the volume of air it has to cool.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:26 am

hankaye wrote:tsyj, Howdy;

As for the Portable A/Cs they get mixed reviews here. Some swear by them others swear at them ...
Try the Google custome search box top center (sorta), and you'll be able to see what others have
had to say.

hank

So I searched, and found this in one of the portable vs window unit threads from kstephensen:

I never thought about going through the rear bulkhead. Now I think I like that idea. Especially since I have the perfect space for it.

flboy wrote:
I have used both and the window unit will do a better job and do it more efficiently. The portable draws warm moist air in from outside the CTC to run across the condenser coil unless it is a 2 hose system. Also, you may a hard time finding a portable that is small enough to run off a 2000W generator whereas the 5000 BTU window units will cost less and you can run it with a small generator. Just some stuff to think about.

Either way you go.. your trailer is small enough where anything you put in is probably going to be overkill for the volume of air it has to cool.

You and a few others have me sold on a window unit, especially since I can install it in the rear bulkhead....what a great idea.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Yukon Cornelius » Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:24 pm

Love the outdoor cleat table mount; gonna have to steal that one! Guess I'd have to mount the support chains lower, as I have an awning.

your trailer is almost the mini-me of mine!

Thought about going shorter, but I've got a motorcycle that comes in at 5'6" to the top of the windshield, so I figured as long as it had to be that high, I may as well go with a 6'6" ceiling, so I could stand up (6'3"). Also considered the axle flip, but not sure I want it much higher. Already got the straight 5k straight axle. Will hold off and see how it does before I consider that.

Look forward to seeing what other ideas you have!
Yukon Cornelius
Teardrop Builder

Postby tsyj » Thu Dec 01, 2016 6:54 pm

^^ Nice. I bent some 3/4" EMT I had sitting around and was going to make angled brackets that bolt to the bottom of the table and at the bottom of the trailer with a wing nut for fast removal, but when you press down on the front edge of the top, it actually lifts up at the back and out of the cleat. That's the reason I am hanging it from chains right now. I might do some kind of locking pin(s) through the back of the top into the trailer to go back to the EMT brackets, but honestly the chain didn't really feel too obtrusive last weekend.

I eventually may get an ARB awning for mine as well, but it will mount higher because I will also have a work rack on top for the kayaks/SUP.

I was in another trailer this weekend helping a lady fix her vent cover that was cracked, and she had a 6' tall for her motorcycle as well. I really liked standing up, but I had to remember that's not what I was originally going for, so I came back down to earth.

So many different ideas, it's hard to focus on one thing at the time. Ha.

January 20th is the next camping outing we have scheduled for the trailer (going to tent camp between Christmas and New Year) so I need to get busy. I want to have it 99.9% done by then.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:16 am

tsyj,

"but when you press down on the front edge of the top, it actually lifts up at the back and out of the cleat."

Would this help? http://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/dine ... pport.html
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:40 pm

Hader wrote:tsyj,

"but when you press down on the front edge of the top, it actually lifts up at the back and out of the cleat."

Would this help? http://shop4seats.com/rv-furniture/dine ... pport.html

I'm going to have to look into those.

Had a few minutes to figure out the drawer situation. I need the drawer bank to be able to be removed easily if I have to access the electric panel, so I built it to hang with 2 french cleats.

Here's what it looks like hanging in the trailer with one drawer finished:

And with one of the Rubbermaid bins full of junk, fits just right:

Going to build the other 2 drawers, shelves, and trim it out hopefully this week so I can be done with the back section. All the wood is getting a few coats of spar varnish when I'm done.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:00 pm

tsyj, Howdy;

Truly like the French cleats for the storage unit. Leads me to a new question, are you going to rely
on the weight of the items stored to hold it down or are you going to have 1 screw through a cleate
to prevent it from doing a back of the school bus bounce?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tsyj » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:13 pm

hankaye wrote:tsyj, Howdy;

Truly like the French cleats for the storage unit. Leads me to a new question, are you going to rely
on the weight of the items stored to hold it down or are you going to have 1 screw through a cleate
to prevent it from doing a back of the school bus bounce?

hank

I'll put a couple 1-1/4" drywall screws into the right side in the tall partition to help keep things where they are. Il always have a drill/impact with me to lower the jacks, so I'll have a Phillips bit as well.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:41 pm

Got the back of the trailer done today. Everything is installed and varnished. I put a few coats on the inside of the doors as well to protect that plywood. I'll silicone it all in in a couple days.

Have more storage than I envisioned, with everything we normally take, I still have 3/4" of a shelf left. I guess I need to start searching for something else to buy.

Next step is the rear cubby, then the front cabinetry. I ordered my inside paneling today, found some lightweight 5/16" knotty pine beadboard I am going to skin the original plywood with.

This is the color scheme we are going with inside per the Wife unit:

I have some burlap to cover the ceiling in, like a headliner. Probably a horrible idea, but we will see. Haha
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:26 am

Boy, that looks like some very effective storage solutions. Handy, accessible, durable...very nice.. The colors and panelling scheme should lighten and brighten an otherwise small dark space. I like the headliner idea, this is what I am using with batten strips screwed into the roof supports. The size and price are right and it is very tuff stuff.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnail ... /202042703

I used the Taupe for the headliner and the Granite for wall covering.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnail ... /202042701

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:05 pm

McDave wrote:Boy, that looks like some very effective storage solutions. Handy, accessible, durable...very nice.. The colors and panelling scheme should lighten and brighten an otherwise small dark space. I like the headliner idea, this is what I am using with batten strips screwed into the roof supports. The size and price are right and it is very tuff stuff.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnail ... /202042703

I used the Taupe for the headliner and the Granite for wall covering.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Foss-Hobnail ... /202042701

McDave

Darn, why didn't I think of that? Very cost effective as well.

Well, the 5/16" T&G came in. To my dismay, it wasn't beaded, just T&G. Which I can live with actually. Got 90% of it installed yesterday, so I wanted to give my knees and back a break from crawling around and figure out the color. Took some scraps and shot them to a piece of plywood and did some experimenting. Wife wants a bit "shabby chic" on the wall paint, so I painted 2/3 of the board, sanded it back off. I left the middle section clear, and darkened the end section with a little Minwax Provincial. Hit it all with clearcoat, and now I wait to see what she picks. Hopefully it's the middle version, I like it best.

I know, why would you intentionally make something new look old, but I make some furniture when I am bored, and this is my best seller by far:

tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:53 am

Shabby-chic, I like it. We used to "distress" using chains, bolts and wrenches or other hard items thrown or slapped against the fresh wood and round off sharp corners and edges randomly. Then some stain to darken the wounds, then light sanding and re-stain entire piece. You could add years of "patina" in minutes.
Is that a sofa table?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm

McDave wrote:Shabby-chic, I like it. We used to "distress" using chains, bolts and wrenches or other hard items thrown or slapped against the fresh wood and round off sharp corners and edges randomly. Then some stain to darken the wounds, then light sanding and re-stain entire piece. You could add years of "patina" in minutes.
Is that a sofa table?

McDave

I don't do much with chains, bolts, hammers, etc, it always looks faked to me. I just sand and use a hand plane to take off sharp edges.

Got the inside painted, sanded and stained today. Here's an in progress pic. Wife picked the darker stain option, so I diluted the Provincial about 10:1 with some thinner so that it wasn't so dark. I think it came out perfectly. Right side of the window is stained, left side is only sanded:

Got most of the wood trim done. I'm using some cypress I had saved for something, might as well use it for this.
Here's how the door finished out:

Here's a shot of the burlap up (for the most part) and the first piece of ceiling trim up. I called it quits here today.

And this is what I'm doing for front cabinetry. Nothing special, just big enough for some storage, and a 16" deep top I made out of some old heart pine barn wood I have. Still need to trim the angles, it will be wall color so it blends in, have to wait until the top trim is up to fit between the opt and that though.

Sorry for pic quality, didn't want to drag a light out, only used phone flash.

Hope to have the inside mostly done by end of next week. A/C unit came last night, so I will get that installed as well.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

Postby tsyj » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:04 pm

Well, with the exception of the cabinet doors and curtains, the inside is done. I hung up the party lights we picked out for lighting and I don't think that they will be bright enough, so I am going to look on Amazon for something else to help supplement them.

Here's 2 pics, front and rear facing. Best I could get with my phone.

I need to vent the rear door for the A/C unit, move the spare tire and build the sink countertop and get it hung. Other than that, I am in pretty good shape.
tsyj
Silver Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions