Crawler Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Crawler Hauler

Postby McDave » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:47 pm

Someone been lovin' that Yoda'..

Congrats on 1st place, it's a good cause.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:52 pm

Hey Sleeps,
I found a little more info on that fan. That part is a thermal fuse, AKA thermal protector, AKA thermal link. I cant find a value because they want to sell it as part of the 3-speed switch, which it is supposed to protect. I saw a pic of the replacement switch, and I see why they want a t-fuse there. This is one of those old timey speed switches like you may have seen in a 50's era chevy heater fan. They really just put honkin' coils of NiChrome as resistors for med and low speed.
Needless to say, this wont save any amps, they just burn off unwanted power as heat. Not the best for conserving 12v power. Running on high is probably most efficient. New speed switch looks to be about 20-25.00 including t-fuse. Here is a diagram,
http://rvvent.com/images/6000RBTAwireing.pdf
Parts supplier?
http://rvvent.com/fantasticventpartsinformation.htm
Speed switch w/t-fuse, that they are calling resistor? Note the bigass coils hanging out there. Ahh.. the good old days....

McDave

PS> I just noticed the note on diagram, it says to call them if you have a T.P. failure, new part# 1031-00 Might be worth it?
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:34 pm

I hope it turns out nice, but dang is every beam off center. Pace definitely lacked in quality compliance when this was built. The rear wall is 3/4" wider at the top than the bottom, and the front wall is 1/2 taller in the middle than both outside corners. I got 11 panels trimmed and put in today and yesterday. Gonna try and wrap up the paneling next week and start installing appliances. I think it'll look sharp once it's all trimmed and painted.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sleepsontoilet » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:04 pm

Snagged up a 42 gallon fresh water tank from ppl motorhomes today on sale for $84. Should be plenty for the #hackhauler and then some.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Wow! That's one loooong shower. OK, maybe two.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:37 am

McDave wrote:Wow! That's one loooong shower. OK, maybe two.

McDave

I already have a 42, but the dimensions were off for what I wanted. The game plan is under the dinette seat hidden. This one is 59.5"X10.25"X18", whereas the new one is 39"X18"X14". I wish shipping wasn't such a pain, as I have no use for the water tank, breaker panel, or windows.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby flboy » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:28 pm

I was in the same situation when I got my tanks. The tank from the donor was large enough... but the wrong dimensions for the space. I ended up going with two 33 (or close to that) gal tanks with one over each axle to balance the load. I also have windows and etc. I'd like to give to someone building...

Anyone in Central Florida building a CTC.. let me know.. I may have some windows and etc. you can use. :thumbsup:

Your build looks like it is coming along nicely!
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Dec 24, 2016 12:30 pm

flboy wrote:Your build looks like it is coming along nicely!

If it turns out as good as the things you won't post, I'll be happy. :o
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sleepsontoilet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Where is the best place to buy stranded wire that everyone has found, both 12v and 120v? And how many feet on average should I expect for a basic camper setup? I hate to order too little and be 30' short.
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby m.colley » Mon Dec 26, 2016 7:06 pm

I bought most of my 12V wire from one of three sources.
BestBoatwire.com
Waytekwire.com
and ebay seller bestconnectionsinc.
BestBoat sells marine grade tinned/solid copper stranded primary wire.
Waytek sells standard and marine grade solid copper stranded primary wire.
Best Connections wire is copper clad primary wire and isn't listed as AWG wire, its imported and works and is the least expensive I could find.
I didn't use stranded 120V wire even though I wish I had. I used standard Romex. One of the big box stores will probably be your best beat on 120V wire. Its hard to beat their buying power.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby sleepsontoilet » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 pm

m.colley wrote:I bought most of my 12V wire from one of three sources.
BestBoatwire.com
Waytekwire.com
and ebay seller bestconnectionsinc.
BestBoat sells marine grade tinned/solid copper stranded primary wire.
Waytek sells standard and marine grade solid copper stranded primary wire.
Best Connections wire is copper clad primary wire and isn't listed as AWG wire, its imported and works and is the least expensive I could find.
I didn't use stranded 120V wire even though I wish I had. I used standard Romex. One of the big box stores will probably be your best beat on 120V wire. Its hard to beat their buying power.

Martin

Yeah, I was hoping for something a little more pliable than romex for the 120v. I appreciate the suggestions, keep them coming.
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby msnglinc » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:44 pm

sleepsontoilet wrote:Where is the best place to buy stranded wire that everyone has found, both 12v and 120v? And how many feet on average should I expect for a basic camper setup? I hate to order too little and be 30' short.
I used extension cords for most of my 120volt runs. Simply buy good quality correct gauge cord and cut to length. Yes its a little pricey but very flexible and will have a good abrasion resistant jacket. You won't have a huge amount of 120volt if you have a 12 volt panel. Most of the 120 is gonna be in the kitchen area and that's where the panel will probably be.
7 x 26 Cargo Craft V Nose
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63350
msnglinc
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:43 pm

msnglinc wrote:
sleepsontoilet wrote:Where is the best place to buy stranded wire that everyone has found, both 12v and 120v? And how many feet on average should I expect for a basic camper setup? I hate to order too little and be 30' short.
I used extension cords for most of my 120volt runs. Simply buy good quality correct gauge cord and cut to length. Yes its a little pricey but very flexible and will have a good abrasion resistant jacket. You won't have a huge amount of 120volt if you have a 12 volt panel. Most of the 120 is gonna be in the kitchen area and that's where the panel will probably be.

+1 on extension cords. My only 120v runs are to outlets, other than 30a from inlet to power center and to A/C from breaker.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:17 pm

Currently trailer parts storage.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:21 pm

Ya, my '57 looked like that for a long time. My shop still looks like ground zero, but until it warms some I'm gonna try to ignore it. Just tryin' to fight one fire at a time till spring.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions