Crawler Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Crawler Hauler

Postby sleepsontoilet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm new to the forum, and found yall from a link posted on hardlinecrawlers.com. The plan is to finish out a project I traded for couple weeks ago. I had a cabover mounted on a deckover, but it was a little too high for the wife to climb in. I'll be posting questions here as well as some of the build threads I've been searching. Feel free to critique.

I traded the gooseneck for this and sold the camper.

Unfortunately it was an abandoned project a guy gave up on several years ago, and left it to rust away. So I had to cut the spot welds and pull the deck up to get some paint on it. I started with a good coat of Ospho and then a couple coats of primer and paint.

I decided to pull up the aluminum deck plates inside and use them on the back, since I was putting 3/4 pressure treated plywood inside as a new floor.

We took advantage of the Labor day sale at Home Depot.

We're headed to Moab, UT in the morning and will start the build out when we get back. It has a 14'8" floor in the living area, and 13'6" rear deck for my buggy.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Crawler Hauler

Postby Padilen » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:17 pm

Looks like fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby arbakken » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:21 pm

So enough about the trailer already, how about the rock crawler. Looks like a Samurai hood, but obviously if it started life as one, there's not much left. A friend of mine has a samurai tube buggy on 37s that finally left my driveway after about 6 months of tinkering.
arbakken
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:26 pm

sleepsontoilet, Howdy;

Going to get your "Moab Approved" sticker while you're there?

Like the project, curious about your screen-name but truly don't need to know :lol:

Where are you traveling to Moab from??? Somewhere in Utah? I used to live there but call
Southern New Mexico home for now. Been back to Utah a few times. I was in the more
central part when I lived there.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby sleepsontoilet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:57 pm

arbakken wrote:So enough about the trailer already, how about the rock crawler. Looks like a Samurai hood, but obviously if it started life as one, there's not much left. A friend of mine has a samurai tube buggy on 37s that finally left my driveway after about 6 months of tinkering.

It was a 91 Zuk that has a few feet of frame and a hood left. I started trying to compete in a series called werock this year and my amazing marketing partner East Coast Gear Supply has helped me morph it. Currently it has a supercharged 3.8 from a Bonneville SSEI, AW4 4 speed auto from a Jeep Cherokee, Dana 300 from a Scout, and Spidertrax fabricated 9" housings on 39" BFG stickies.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sleepsontoilet » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:59 pm

hankaye wrote:sleepsontoilet, Howdy;

Going to get your "Moab Approved" sticker while you're there?

Like the project, curious about your screen-name but truly don't need to know :lol:

Where are you traveling to Moab from??? Somewhere in Utah? I used to live there but call
Southern New Mexico home for now. Been back to Utah a few times. I was in the more
central part when I lived there.

hank

I'm from Houston, TX and not sure on the sticker. The screen name comes from trying to drink more than I should at an age I shouldn't have been drinking. We all got Indian names, and obviously you can tell how they found me. When I joined the forums years ago I couldn't come up with anything witty that wasn't already taken. So I tried it and it was available, been using it ever since.
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:46 pm

Hey Mister,
That crawler looks pretty sweet under the hood. If that's the kind of work we can expect then I can't wait to see what you do with the hauler. Gotta say, I like your style.
You really picked a great time of year to be at Moab. I'm all jealous over here, but I'm happy for you. No really. :roll:
Anyways, Welcome. Glad you are here. Looking forward to great things from you.
Enjoy your trip and BE SAFE!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:22 am

McDave wrote:Hey Mister,
That crawler looks pretty sweet under the hood. If that's the kind of work we can expect then I can't wait to see what you do with the hauler. Gotta say, I like your style.
You really picked a great time of year to be at Moab. I'm all jealous over here, but I'm happy for you. No really. :roll:
Anyways, Welcome. Glad you are here. Looking forward to great things from you.
Enjoy your trip and BE SAFE!

McDave

Thank you, I'm pretty happy with how it's turned out. Although I want a single seater for the really sketchy lines, I need my 4 seater for the wife and kids. Here's some pics of the underlings...

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:34 am

sleepsontoilet, Howdy;

Hope you see this before you hit Albuquerque, BALLOON FIESTA started today!
I also did a Google Earth route check and it shows going through Colorado using
US 550. Don't know if you've ever been on the "Million Dollar Highway" before but
it's not truly conducive to hauling RVs across, lots of ups and downs, switchbacks
and mostly 2-lane heavy-duty mountain road. It will really add time to your trip
and wear the nerves. Perhaps even end up farting seat cushion foam for the next
week.
I would suggest staying on I-40 W until you get to Gallup, N.M. Take US 491N (top
off your tank in Gallup Or Grants (before you get to Gallup), this will take you up
Through Shiprock and into Colorado on a section that is a lot flatter (rolling hills),
and bring you into Monticello, Ut. where you 'll pick-up US-191 N to Moab. Also,
you'll not need to fight with all of the Hot Air folks on the North side of Abq. and
that end of US -550 has been having a lot of wrecks on it lately as well.

Good luck, travel safe look forward to seeing some pix from your Moab adventure.

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby tucked » Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:01 am

Love the crawler AND the hauler! I just got back from Moab 2 weeks ago with my 5x10 trailer pulled behind my Jeep. Just looked at a new trailer online last night very similar to your new setup... that's my ultimate goal.

tucked
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sleepsontoilet » Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:49 pm

Got to check out Lions Back

Checked out the Arches

Monday we wheeled Poison Spider, Golden Spike, and Gold Bar Rim. Tuesday we wheeled Hills Gate, Escalator, the hot tubs, and Moab Rim.

Wheeling the crack

The big hot tub

Video

https://youtu.be/LFmeFtKhHt8

The entrance to Helldorado where the air locker decided not to air up and cut the trip short. I'll post more as I get them.

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:42 am

Awesome!!
Wow! Thanks for the pics. looks like a great time. Its just a beautiful place, amazing.
That's a tough little buggy ya got there, very impressive.
Glad everything worked out for you.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:35 pm

McDave wrote:Awesome!!
Wow! Thanks for the pics. looks like a great time. Its just a beautiful place, amazing.
That's a tough little buggy ya got there, very impressive.
Glad everything worked out for you.

McDave

Thank you, trailer pulled like a dream. Got 11mpg towing 80 there and back. Still waiting on everyone to get home and upload pics/videos. Here's a couple more for now

sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:34 am

I grew up in the high deserts of New Mexico, been in Montana just over 20 yrs now. Gotta say, I miss the desert, a lot.
I'm gonna have to make a plan to get back there, my wife has never seen it. It's a different world and a different kind of beauty. Thanks for the amazing pics.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:45 pm

McDave, Howdy;

You might think about going the long way around to get here. Like acclimatizing your
blushing bride by coming down through Utah so she can have a gradual bump from your
area then see the Moab area then ease her into New Mexico. Don't forget the extra thick
soled flip-flops to keep the goat-heads from puncturing her feet.

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions