Crawler Hauler

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Crawler Hauler

Postby McDave » Sun Oct 09, 2016 9:14 pm

@ Hank,
I think you are right, I love her but she has got to be the Whitest woman I've ever known, and I'M IRISH!!! She gets a sunburn from a flashbulb! And feet? Don't even get me started. I have only seen her feet a half dozen times in twenty years, they're cute, but NO WAY you can get her in flip flops...The desert is a harsh but beautiful place. Maybe I should just send her pics..and one of those sombreros that says "Greetings from Juarez" (made in china) Better think on that one...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:23 am

I've been looking at adding some reflective heat barrier sealant on the roof, and not sure which to buy. Some aren't for a flat roof, some aren't for aluminum, and of course every salesman thinks theirs is the best. Anyone have a thread linked that'll help?

Has anyone tried the cheap spray foam insulation kits for their roofs, or has everyone just used Styrofoam?
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby rebapuck » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:06 am

My concern is Styrofoam squeaks. Maybe not in this application?
Judy
1966 VW camper
1967 VW singlecab
rebapuck

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:57 am

Hey Mister,
I insulated the entire trailer, walls and ceiling first with aluminized bubble pool blanket. I had just replaced mine so I had scraps , plus the used 18'x33' cover. Metal side out.137470
Then I went with poly iso 1" double foil faced sheets. It's R-7.5 by itself. But the most effective upgrade was the Henry 587 Reflective roof paint. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Henry-0-90-G ... /202091035
PDF here: http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/pdfIma ... 6f07f7.pdf
100 sq ft coverage double coat per gal. Best 30.00 I've ever spent. Quick, easy, cheap, very effective. Just like me... ;)
My roof is galvanized, I believe the aluminium roofs are covered with rubber. 137087
You're gonna want to cut in all your holes for A/C, plumbing vent stack etc. and seal the joints with Dicor self levelling lap sealant and butyl tape before you paint. You can youtube it.
Good Luck,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:41 am

It says that only resists pending for up to 48 hours. I've got a few low spots that seem to hold water on mine. Already put the ac in, and looking at vents. I had a bunch of links bookmarked from before I joined the site, but got a new phone and lost them all. So now I'm having to dig back through various threads to find the good deals.
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:53 am

Fill in/build up the low spots with the Henry's. If its gonna pond, pond it with Henry's..... ;)
Jeeze, did I really just say that?... :oops:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:55 am

McDave wrote:Fill in/build up the low spots with the Henry's. If its gonna pond, pond it with Henry's..... ;)
Jeeze, did I really just say that?... :oops:

McDave

Don't think the thought hasn't crossed my mind. The stuff I was looking at is $225 for a 5 gallon bucket. :shock:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-Eterna ... /205314046
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:59 am

sleepsontoilet, Howdy;

If you haven't insulated and enclosed your roof from the inside can't you roll or otherwise
push the low spots back up? Then hit it wit a couple of coats of Henry's. Might take 2 gallons
to cover that beast.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:00 am

There ya go!... :applause:
Also, "low spots" are usually places where the metal skin has stretched. Think hail damage....So the trick would be to shrink those areas...yes? I know you have seen the guys that come to town after the "White Combine" comes through. They set up in parking lots and repair hail damaged cars. They use the old dry ice trick to pop the dents out. Now I can't say I've ever seen it done on aluminium, but I have used that technique on big pieces of steel like hoods and roofs and had pretty amazing results. Metal being dynamic, will grow/ shrink constantly with temp differential. The trick is to shock it and lock it, into desired shape. We used flame to heat the area around the dent, then dropped a piece of dry ice right in the dent, and pop! Dent removed, metal shrunk back to shape. Paint still intact.... :D
Something to think about...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby sleepsontoilet » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:16 pm

hankaye wrote:sleepsontoilet, Howdy;

If you haven't insulated and enclosed your roof from the inside can't you roll or otherwise
push the low spots back up? Then hit it wit a couple of coats of Henry's. Might take 2 gallons
to cover that beast.

hank

Going wheeling Friday, I'll try to get a picture. It's not bad, just holds a small puddle in a couple places. I'm waiting until I've cut all the holes, just doing research so I know which direction to go when I do get there.
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby sleepsontoilet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:48 pm

Nailed King Arthur

http://youtu.be/AyYlEv_QcE8
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:43 am

Man, That is very badass. Way cool buggy, and a nice piece of driving..... :shock: ... :thumbsup:

Amazing what humans will do for amusement.... 8)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:49 am

Dang,that is down right Impressive.... Gonna need some serious suspension work to get the trailer over those rocks tho.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby sleepsontoilet » Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:23 pm

McDave wrote:Man, That is very badass. Way cool buggy, and a nice piece of driving..... :shock: ... :thumbsup:

Amazing what humans will do for amusement.... 8)

McDave

I was pretty excited, only 4 others have ever climbed it prior.
sleepsontoilet
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:40 pm

Really? Well now that is an accomplishment. Congratulations!.... :applause:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions