Another way to skin a cat.

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Another way to skin a cat.

Postby featherliteCT1 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:36 pm

Hader wrote:Image

Hader,

Is your air conditioner mounted on it's side? If so, I did not know that they could operate that way.

Also, how do you like the performance so far? .... I know that some have noted that the units setting on the floor do not perform as well as the units mounted high because the cold air tends to settle on the floor.

Thanks
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Hader » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:57 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:
Hader wrote:Image

Hader,

Is your air conditioner mounted on it's side? If so, I did not know that they could operate that way.

Also, how do you like the performance so far? .... I know that some have noted that the units setting on the floor do not perform as well as the units mounted high because the cold air tends to settle on the floor.

Thanks

It's Right-side up. We only tried it at an outside temperature of 106°, Trailer skin was between 112º to 125º. trailer was under a cover, but it was S. Texas. We got the temperature down to 80° in 2 hrs, we then (knowing that it's working) turned the AC off.
As to the floor! We'll have to wait and see if there's a noticeable difference, considering the small space. We can always use a fan to compensate.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hader » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:06 am

Any input would be appreciated.

Found this TV antenna plan https://www.popularmechanics.com/cultur ... v-antenna/ and built it as per instructions (A).
It works perfectly.

I'm thinking about building one for the trailer (as in B). Would the configuration of (B) effect the reception?
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:04 am

Hader, Howdy;

Not being any way, shape, or whatever smart about anything, especially anything to do with engineering
I venture to say that when you have build 'A' you are sourcing your signal with both sides of the yagi and not
just a single side as you would with build 'B'. Anyway I found this;
https://turbofuture.com/misc/Pros-and-C ... i-Antennas
and for that balun term I found this;
https://www.google.com/search?q=balun&o ... e&ie=UTF-8

I'm sure that someone much more knowledgeable will show up to help ya get a bit further ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hader » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:22 am

hankaye wrote:when you have build 'A' you are sourcing your signal with both sides of the yagi and not
just a single side as you would with build 'B'.

Thank you Hank.

What got me confused is that It looks as if (B) is also sourcing both sides. What am I missing?
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:05 pm

Hader, Howdy;

Hader wrote:
hankaye wrote:when you have build 'A' you are sourcing your signal with both sides of the yagi and not
just a single side as you would with build 'B'.

Thank you Hank.

What got me confused is that It looks as if (B) is also sourcing both sides. What am I missing?

Your probably not missing anything, rather I most likely am, flboy (Don), would most likely be the responsible adult in the room
for this conversation. To me it appears that "A" would be more like a balanced reception, stereo as an example only, by gathering
signals from both sides equally and "B" would be more like monaural one half is pulling from it's side and the other the same. Maybe
I got that part backwards as well ...As I mentioned at the beginning of my initial post, I ain't an expert at anything as my ex's all
3, even if I did re-do with #2 so is that 4??? Google can be your friend and from what I saw, these Yagi's can send and receive but
the arms (V-shaped bits), need to be specific lengths for specific frequence segments.
Make one of each and see how they compare, re-build the worser of the 2 to match the better...

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hader » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:24 pm

hankaye wrote:To me it appears that "A" would be more like a balanced reception, stereo as an example only, by gathering
signals from both sides equally and "B" would be more like monaural one half is pulling from it's side and the other the same.

That may be what I'm overlooking.

We are very happy with (A), just was wondering why it couldn't be wired differently.

I'll wait and see what Don has to say.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:42 pm

Hader, Howdy;

Hader wrote:
hankaye wrote:To me it appears that "A" would be more like a balanced reception, stereo as an example only, by gathering
signals from both sides equally and "B" would be more like monaural one half is pulling from it's side and the other the same.

That may be what I'm overlooking.

We are very happy with (A), just was wondering why it couldn't be wired differently.

I'll wait and see what Don has to say.

Very wise ...

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby flboy » Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:19 am

Hader wrote:Any input would be appreciated.

Found this TV antenna plan https://www.popularmechanics.com/cultur ... v-antenna/ and built it as per instructions (A).
It works perfectly.

I'm thinking about building one for the trailer (as in B). Would the configuration of (B) effect the reception?

Hader, short answer is yes, I think the B configuration would affect reception in that it would be less than A.

Each opposing pair of the little "V's" is an element with a more precise length and separation at the ends of the "V", and to improve the signal/gain, the received signals from each element needs to be in phase at the feedpoint to "add". Just looking at it, I believe the intent of the center feed and crisscrossed phase bar is to achieve the "in phase" benefit (better gain).

On B, the bottom feed may present some phasing problems in addition to a higher impedance at the feedpoint.

In both cases, you must run the coax into a Balun before connecting to the antenna.

Since it should be easy to re-configure the feedpoint and phasebar as shown, you can try both configurations and see what you get with all else being the same. I think you will notice "A" brings in more distant stations. For receiving a signal, any old wire may bring in a strong station , so B will work for stronger stations but may not pick up stations further away due to less gain.

Just my thoughts. BTW... this is a knockoff of a 4 element Bowtie antenna. You could further improve reception and reduce noise by putting some wire mesh on the opposite side. It should be electrically isolated from the antenna.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (48.24 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:01 am

I've made 2, they look like A, work well, with a booster.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Thank you Don.

flboy wrote: you must run the coax into a Balun before connecting to the antenna.

I'm using it without a Balun for now. I'll be getting one Saturday.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Hader » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:53 pm

Padilen wrote:I've made 2, they look like A, work well, with a booster.

What kind of booster are referring to?
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:17 am

Hader wrote:Thank you Don.

flboy wrote: you must run the coax into a Balun before connecting to the antenna.

I'm using it without a Balun for now. I'll be getting one Saturday.

Yes, that will match the impedance of the Antenna Feed Point to the TV receiver input. Again, may not make a huge difference on strong stations, but will help on weaker ones. Baluns are very important if you are transmitting, but do make a difference on receive also and they cost very little.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Hader wrote:
Padilen wrote:I've made 2, they look like A, work well, with a booster.

What kind of booster are referring to?
Signal booster or some call it an amplifier.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:21 pm

Hello everyone,

We just acquired a portable message sign (the type used by the State at highway construction areas). It came with 5 Siemens 90-Watt solar panels and 8 Continental Heavy Duty MSDS - Lead Acid batteries. Group 4-D. The batteries haven’t been used for 3-4 years and we have no idea how old they are.

Any ideas on the possibility of Reconditioning the batteries?

Thank you.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions