Which model LP gas furnace is best, queiter and efficient?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Which model LP gas furnace is best, queiter and efficient?

Postby OP827 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:42 pm

I am looking for a new furnace for my build and I feel a little bit lost with all the models on the new and used market. Could you guys share your experience with your gas furnace, what model worked for you and was it quiet enough to have it running at night? I found some complaints about some models being noisy and I my old trailer furnace IS noisy, but some new models claim they are "quiet". So let's make this thread as a review of certain model furnaces in action and hopefully it will help me and others make the purchase decision. Thanks in advance for all your information and help!
OP827
Donating Member

Re: Which model LP gas furnace is best, queiter and efficien

Postby OP827 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:45 pm

Oh, forgot to mention that I am shopping for up to 20000btu, direct vent type as I build a relatively small trailer, 6.5'x14.5' :)
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:12 am

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Hader » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:40 am

I have used one similar to this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200664865
the trailer was 32' x 8 1/2'.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby retep » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:30 am

My Dad put something similar to that direct vent furnace in his garage. It was perfect. I am in Toronto Canada and it kept the insulated garage a very comfortable 55*f so we could work comfortably, and it was set to low. I was thinking of using something similar if I move ahead with a CT. I really enjoy this style of furnace, The only thing I would consider is the amount of Real Estate it takes on a wall.

Cheers Peter
retep
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:28 am

OP827, Howdy;

OP827 wrote:Oh, forgot to mention that I am shopping for up to 20000btu, direct vent type as I build a relatively small trailer, 6.5'x14.5' :)

As you are looking to warm a mere 94.25 sq. ft. a 20Kbtu heater may roast you out depending on the
thermostats low setting, and may cause short cycling (not good).
Do you plan on mostly Boondocking or will you have powered campsites as your main places to camp?
A few of our forum-mates have installed one of these and have good results.
http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/newp ... fireplace/
gone fishin and Trainman45 are 2 that I can think of off the top of my head. Might check their threads
for their impressions. I'd also look at other places to purchase as the Dickenson site is a few hundred $'s
above others that I've seen online.
Should you decide to camp where you can "plug-in" then you can get buy with an oil filled heater. Until
the temps dip into the 30 I've been keep the chill out of my Home (30' 5th wheel RV), and comfortable
with one of these ... https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-HZ-789 ... B009YKYH92
Just some options ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Hader » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:34 am

OP827,
Listen to Hank.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:36 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:Has anyone considered using one of these? They look like they could be nice. Vented and requires no power.

http://www.landmsupply.com/department/home-improvement/heating-and-cooling/propane-heaters/ventless-heaters/us-stove-direct-vent-lp-heater?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=google_base&gclid=CJT_ttSSrdACFQiOaQodijUILw

This one is interesting, thanks for the info! I like that it does not need electricity for a fan and gas valve control thus it must be silent when operating. My build does not have a free wall space to fix it on, unfortunately. If only I could fix it on the kitchen cabinet face, but then I would need much longer vent and air inlet duct going through the cabinet and wall, but I doubt that such 25" vent is available..?? Also, is this a smallest version available? Maybe there is a smaller one by other manufacturer? This particular unit is quite heavy at 33lbs in comparison to other options. The design is quite simple, my old tent trailer forced air furnace has similar gas valve controls.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:41 pm

retep wrote:My Dad put something similar to that direct vent furnace in his garage. It was perfect. I am in Toronto Canada and it kept the insulated garage a very comfortable 55*f so we could work comfortably, and it was set to low. I was thinking of using something similar if I move ahead with a CT. I really enjoy this style of furnace, The only thing I would consider is the amount of Real Estate it takes on a wall.

Cheers Peter

Thanks Peter for sharing your experience with the direct vent furnace. It is nice to have a silent operation and no need for electricity. It is like gas fireplace or stove an no oxygen depletion concerns. You right about real estate on a wall, and I do not have that in my build. Thanks again,
Oleg
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:47 pm

I've bragged-up my Dickinson a bunch, but I'll do it again too! Best thing I ever put in my trailer. I love the open-flame ambiance, and it's been trouble-free since day one. NO CO alarms, always lights, fully adjustable flame, quiet, variable 12-volt fan . . . It doesn't have a thermostat, but I can turn it down to just a trickle of propane. I have the P9000 in a 6X12, and it works well down into the single digits, with crappy insulation in my walls. I'd get the P12000 if I were you. Should be plenty of heat. Run the gas on low, and the fan on higher for best efficiency. And . . . for some icing on the cake for you . . . Its made in CANADA!

Check out what Rainier70 did with her trailer too. She gets great results efficiently and less cost upfront. :thumbsup:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=55219&hilit=rainier70
Last edited by Gonefishin on Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby OP827 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:02 pm

Hader wrote:I have used one similar to this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200664865

That is a nice little unit, Hader. Is this a ventless unit that burns air and exhaust inside the trailer? Or it has a direct vent from/to outside? If it ventless, then the breathing air inside will have less oxygen and gradually more CO2 or even CO and then more moisture too. Opening some window gap is a safety requirement, right?
Sorry I failed to mention in my initial post that I am also concerned with oxygen depletion, so I am looking into direct vented units, when burned gas and fumes are isolated or vented from the trailer interior, like in furnaces or heating stoves.
OP827
Donating Member

Postby Gonefishin » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:22 pm

OP827 wrote:
Hader wrote:I have used one similar to this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200664865

That is a nice little unit, Hader. Is this a ventless unit that burns air and exhaust inside the trailer? Or it has a direct vent from/to outside? If it ventless, then the breathing air inside will have less oxygen and gradually more CO2 or even CO and then more moisture too. Opening some window gap is a safety requirement, right?
Sorry I failed to mention in my initial post that I am also concerned with oxygen depletion, so I am looking into direct vented units, when burned gas and fumes are isolated or vented from the trailer interior, like in furnaces or heating stoves.

Whatever you do, yes, get something direct vented. Don't be suckered into those "no venting necessary" killers. They are made to shut off when oxygen gets low. For my money, that's too late. Buddy heaters kill people in my area every single year.
Gonefishin
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Wed Nov 16, 2016 3:46 pm

It's vent-less, and you are right about the window.
I have a phobia of gas and propane. I can never sleep with a propane or gas heater on, we are lucky to live in south Texas that we can go electric without breaking the bank. Our Mobile-Office/Tiny-Home Conversion (360 sq-ft) is all electric.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:21 pm

Well I can't speak to "Furnaces", but here is my plan for my 6x12 toy hauler. If shore power is available, oil filled radiator as Hank suggested, or my Mach III rooftop A/C has a heat strip, but the fan runs constant. If I figure a way to cycle fan as heat is cycled it will be a lot more friendly. Also, I have one of these, http://www.camco.net/product/wave-3-cat ... ter-10319/
I haven't used it yet but it will require some venting, which is really no big deal. Crank open the bathroom vent/fan an inch or so. Like I said, its 6x12. Not a lot of area to heat and it's well insulated.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Hader » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:17 pm

Again, we are lucky to be down in South Texas! All it takes for such small space is another serving of beans w/ onions. :frightened:
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions