Beginner looking for advise

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:06 pm

Starting my build in the next few months. Right now I am in the planning and decision stage. I have been looking at an Arising 7' x 12' single axle w/ a 5,200lbs axle. After many sleepless nights I think I want to move up to a 7' x 14' single axle. I know there are folks out there with them. I would like to know what you think of the 14' with a single axle. I don't wanna go double axle because I'm wanting to build an "expedition trailer" for say. I plan on putting all terrain tires on it down the road. It will never get loaded to its max, the heaviest toy I have is an atv. My plans are a dive trailer in the summer and something to pull to the deer lease in the winter. Any ideas will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by firemansd19 on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby PaulzOx » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:28 pm

I cannot speak for a 7x14. I have a 7x7x12 vee nose single axle. I can put my ATV in it as well as my sons 90cc. If I need more room I stand mine up. But I haven't had the need for that.

Anyway as far as size goes, think about the terrain you will be towing on, longer trailers have less approach and departure angles. Also think about the amenities you want on the inside. Shower, toilet, sink, cabinets, etc... those will also help you determine the length and width needed.

For me I am going to put a removable outside sink to save space inside. I also use a portable toilet. Both of which eliminated the need for indoor plumbing. There are a million ideas on here, look around and take notes on the things like, subscribe to those builds so you can find them easier when you need to.

Here is a link to mine, I hope this helps you.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=ht ... are_type=t

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Re: Beginner looking for advise

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:38 pm

ImageImage

These are my ideas so far. As far as terrain, it is pretty flat here. The worst it may see is nasty lease roads to get to the deer camp or river. As for the inside. I plan on building the cabinets in the front 2' of the trailer. The rest will be open. My cabinets won't have a refrigerator. It will contain the sink, small water tank, AC, microwave, camp stove, batteries, and all electrical controls.
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:35 pm

firemansd19, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 6'X14' single axle but I upgraded the axle to a 5300# with electric brakes. The
axle is a standard leaf spring that way I can flip the axle should I need the extra clearance
also the 7 way plug gives me the options of being able to charge the trailer's "house" battery(s),
through a converter should I choose to install one and I can add circuitry for back-up lights
should I, again, choose to. Options that you can discuss with the dealership if you go that way
or to consider should you buy a used one from C/L or some other source. Any way each is like
an empty canvas just waiting for the artist ...

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:39 pm

hankaye wrote:firemansd19, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum!

I have a 6'X14' single axle but I upgraded the axle to a 5300# with electric brakes. The
axle is a standard leaf spring that way I can flip the axle should I need the extra clearance
also the 7 way plug gives me the options of being able to charge the trailer's "house" battery(s),
through a converter should I choose to install one and I can add circuitry for back-up lights
should I, again, choose to. Options that you can discuss with the dealership if you go that way
or to consider should you buy a used one from C/L or some other source. Any way each is like
an empty canvas just waiting for the artist ...

hank

Hank, how does your pull and handle? I plan on doin some major upgrades as I go along. I have found a donor camper so I will install my own windows, and plan to insulate and wire myself.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:50 pm

firemansd19, Howdy;

Picked mine up in Salt Lake City, Ut. drove to West Yellowstone, Mt. camped
for a week in it then drove home to the SW desert of N.M. Never knew it was
there unless I looked in the rearview mirror. My tow vehicle is a F-250 SD 4X4
which I use to move my 5th wheel (home sweet 5th wheel),whenever I decide
to relocate. What your tow vehicle is helps greatly to determine how the ride is ...

hank
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:58 pm

hankaye wrote:firemansd19, Howdy;

Picked mine up in Salt Lake City, Ut. drove to West Yellowstone, Mt. camped
for a week in it then drove home to the SW desert of N.M. Never knew it was
there unless I looked in the rearview mirror. My tow vehicle is a F-250 SD 4X4
which I use to move my 5th wheel (home sweet 5th wheel),whenever I decide
to relocate. What your tow vehicle is helps greatly to determine how the ride is ...

hank

My tow vehicle is a 2012 Silverado 4wd with a 6" lift. I also have "airlift" tow bags on it. They make a world of difference when towing a heavy load.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Sat Dec 31, 2016 4:14 pm

firemansd19, Howdy;

Ok, shouldn't have any problems with towing, just make sure you get the correct drop
for the ball so trailer is level when being towed. But ... you knew that already ...
Looking forward to seeing some pix as you progress. Happy New Year and Happy Build!

hank
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby PaulzOx » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:15 pm

Firemansd19,

Sounds like you have enough tow vehicle for almost any size trailer you want. If you don't have a storage issues I recommend going with the bigger size.

PaulzOx
PaulzOx
Teardrop Master

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:18 pm

PaulzOx wrote:Firemansd19,

Sounds like you have enough tow vehicle for almost any size trailer you want. If you don't have a storage issues I recommend going with the bigger size.

PaulzOx

I really want the 7' x 14' single axle. I am gonna take up the front 2' with cabinets. The rest will pretty much remain open for whatever I want. I guess my biggest question is just wanting anyone's experience with that size on a single axle.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:06 pm

7x7x14 singles were not available. At least not on a lot, might have been special order. I didn't want a 14'. I looked at a 7X14 tandem and thought it was huge. At the time I had lesser of a TV so I was happy with the 7x7x12, single. But now I have a bigger TV and different ideas. A 7x7x14 would be nice
Looking to see your CTC!

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:10 pm

Padilen wrote:7x7x14 singles were not available. At least not on a lot, might have been special order. I didn't want a 14'. I looked at a 7X14 tandem and thought it was huge. At the time I had lesser of a TV so I was happy with the 7x7x12, single. But now I have a bigger TV and different ideas. A 7x7x14 would be nice
Looking to see your CTC!

At my dealer the 7 x 14 single is a special order. He does have a 7 x 14 double axle sitting on the lot that is pretty awesome. Just don't want a v nose. ImageImage

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:27 am

Get it & get started already!
I have a condition- lack of patience, it's an inherited condition.

Last edited by Padilen on Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:09 am

Welcome,

Here's an older post of mine, read the whole thing, I think it partially fits what you are looking for:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65926#p1168566

Here's one of the Cargo Craft 6x14 offroad trailers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqZQptdGU4g&list=PLuuocdv6wv7jHQKayvM-yYkJiB-ULrtRT&index=1

The models featured above are built by Cargo Craft of Texas, they also have a Georgia plant in Ambrose. I imagine they can build the same models in Georgia. Mine is a Cargo Craft as well, fairly happy with them as far as cargo trailers go. Good build for the price, still a family owned business.

-always order the next size up (2' longer) than you need
-consider having windows factory installed and offset for airflow
-same for a quality RV-style side door
-put the fantastic vent fan into one of them.

I ordered a tandem even though I knew I'd never need the weight capacity. Reasons; "crawl" over bumps vs bounce/jump of single axle, get a flat, and keep going to a safe spot to change it, If I do need to carry heavy, well, I can. Of course doesn't turn as easy, but is more predictable backing up, and runs great on the road heading to the camping spots, not bad on the forest road. I chose standard leaf spring for more ground clearance.

Here's another good discussion on choosing a trailer:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=54375

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:24 am

I pondered size options for 6 months before I settled on a 7x12 V nose. I plan on building a bulkhead to wall off the V and use it for separate storage. After taking it out for the first time this weekend (bare inside; haven't started building up the inside yet), it does seem HUGE! I plan on some cabinets, a bench (with slide in storage for my tubs with camping stuff), and a shelf. Leaving room for my full size dual sport if I want to take it along. I did go with 7' wide, but after this weekend, taking it on a pretty rough FS road and getting a bunch of "racing stripes" from trees on either side of the road, I'm wondering if I should have opted for the 6'. Either way, I do like the narrowed axle, reducing the wheel exposure. Also happy I got the 5,200lb straight axle, both for the increased ground clearance and the 6 lugs to match my Chevy wheels, so I can have a universal spare.

I will say my Avalanche with a 6" lift can struggle towing this up steep grades. Gets the job done, but on a long grade I sometimes end up with the truckers in the right lane slowly dragging up a mountain. Does fine with it other than that. But I do have 4.88 gears, so that may also make a difference.

I got Cargo Craft from http://trailershowroom.com. What I liked about them was the ability to go through and select individual options for pretty much every aspect of the build. And they have 4 factories, so you can save a little by picking it up there if you're close. Prices do vary by factory. I'm not handy and don't care to spend a lot of time on the basics of the build, so I opted to have them install the windows and insulate the walls/ceiling.

Yukon Cornelius
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions