Beginner looking for advise

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:17 pm

We fought the rain today and made a lot of progress. Huge thanks to my wife, dad, and cousin. Got all the welding done for my window, which will hopefully go in tomorrow, and wall supports for my vertical E-trac that will be for my bed. Finished all the wall insulation just have a little more taping it up. We installed the electrical inlet for my shore power and mocked up the breaker box and pulled a few 110 wires. Image
First cut in the exterior wall. I was a little nervous. ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

This is the inlet box I used. It was a lot cheaper than one from an RV dealer, and better built. I didn't want the big box on the outside so I kinda dissected it. I think it will work great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Beginner looking for advise

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:40 pm

That is some pretty sweet freehand cutting you are doing there. :thumbsup: I'm not that brave. I always have to rely on a board or something to run the smooth part of the cutter against as a guide. :frightened:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:25 pm

Iconfabul8 wrote:That is some pretty sweet freehand cutting you are doing there. :thumbsup: I'm not that brave. I always have to rely on a board or something to run the smooth part of the cutter against as a guide. :frightened:

I would love to say we are on our A-game and free handed it perfect. BUT that would be a lie. If you look closely u can see the cover plate to the plug screwed to the wall. It is a thick gauge metal so we used it as a guide. It did come out perfect though.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Today was an interesting day to say the least. Finally got my window cut in. I used every tool I was able to get my hands on (i.e. Rotozip, angle grinder w/ cutting wheel, and even a rescue metal cutting saw). They all cut but I had no control over where it was cutting. I ended up using a jig saw and cutting from the outside. Drilled a few pilot holes from the inside, taped off the perimeter of the hole and cut away. I was amazed but only cut it once and it fit. I did have to grind a little spot down to get it to sit level.
Image[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/

20170501/1fdce104879f2f09404da8101dbfaf7c.jpg[/IMG]

After getting it installed I realized I didn't have any self tapping screws that had a black head. So I compromised and spray painted some. It come out looking great. Also put the interior panel back up and cut the window hole in. Thanks to precision cutting (and mainly luck) I will not have to trim out the window. It looks perfect.

Hopefully I can find some time real soon and start slinging some paint. That's all I'm waiting on for it to actually be useable.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Got a beautiful Louisiana day to sling some paint. Got the floor and 60% of the wall panels painted with a Pro-Block base coat this morning. Hopefully I can get the rest pained this evening. I hope to start putting some color down

TapatalkImage
ImageImage
The little black specks are freakin love bugs. They just love something white.
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Mon May 01, 2017 2:38 pm

I had to throw this in. It will be nice to never have to sleep in this 1 room redneck inn again. Image

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Tue May 02, 2017 12:00 pm

Had a pretty successful morning. I was able to get the second coat on the floor. Got all the wall panels painted. I think I'm gonna just go with one coat on the walls. It has took a whole gallon just on paneling. It took a whole gallon for the floor for 2 coats. No the waiting game, letting the paint dry. ImageImageImage

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:48 pm

Made some pretty good headway today. I got almost all the paneling put up. Left a few down to install plugs and switches. Got my Etrac up for my bed.

Tried out the AC for a while today. Not super impressed. Hopefully when I get the ceiling insulated it will help. I also think I'm gonna need a small fan to circulate the air since the AC is so low.

Keep in mind this was a freebie AC that was given to me. So I tore it down and cleaned it out real good. I'm in the process of painting the outer shroud to match my trailer. Hopefully in the next few weeks I will me able to make the stand it will sit on to slide out the cargo door.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon May 08, 2017 11:53 pm

Hey Fireman,
The roof insulation will help, a lot. Also as we have discussed in other posts, gotta paint that roof with Henry 587. As for the window air.... well, they really need to be mounted as high as possible to do the most work. Lastly, make sure the condenser is clean where the fan blows through. You'll probably have to remove the shroud and possibly pull the condenser out, gently, to get to it. If you have cottonwoods or silver poplars in your area, could be clogged with cotton.
Black trailers are sexy, in the winter. Summertime they are mobile pizza ovens...just sayin'

McDave

P.S. If your schedule allows, it may be best to run that A/C at night to cool it off and work on it the next a.m.. If the A/C has a thermostat set for 75 or so and see what happens. It may have a hard time catching up, but might be able to keep up.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby firemansd19 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:16 am

McDave wrote:Hey Fireman,
The roof insulation will help, a lot. Also as we have discussed in other posts, gotta paint that roof with Henry 587. As for the window air.... well, they really need to be mounted as high as possible to do the most work. Lastly, make sure the condenser is clean where the fan blows through. You'll probably have to remove the shroud and possibly pull the condenser out, gently, to get to it. If you have cottonwoods or silver poplars in your area, could be clogged with cotton.
Black trailers are sexy, in the winter. Summertime they are mobile pizza ovens...just sayin'

McDave

P.S. If your schedule allows, it may be best to run that A/C at night to cool it off and work on it the next a.m.. If the A/C has a thermostat set for 75 or so and see what happens. It may have a hard time catching up, but might be able to keep up.

I did take the AC apart to give it a good cleaning. I was really just giving it a trial run to see what it would do. The only time it will be used will be at night to sleep. There seems to always be a breeze blowing here lately, so opening doors and positioned right works just fine.

I will definitely look into the paint you mentioned.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Thu May 18, 2017 8:08 am

Took it out on its maiden voyage this weekend!!!!!! I still have a long way to go before it's like I want it but it is useable now. I'm definitely gonna have to put some grip tape on the ramp, it's super slick when it gets wet.

ImageImageImage

Here are a few reasons we spend so much time in the water. It's either for the fish.

Or whatever else gets lost in the lake or river.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 am

Very Cool!
Were you knoodling for those big Cats?
I had meant to mention about the coefficient of friction on those ramps when wet....they are a little slickery. You may want to look into the sand/paint traction method.
Well, I'm glad you found my truck. I was parked next to the Yellowstone and I guess the water came up a little. I wondered how far it would make it. You can keep the fish that are inside, just roll a window down and I'll pick it up after it dry's out some.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby firemansd19 » Thu May 18, 2017 9:48 pm

McDave wrote:Very Cool!
Were you knoodling for those big Cats?
I had meant to mention about the coefficient of friction on those ramps when wet....they are a little slickery. You may want to look into the sand/paint traction method.
Well, I'm glad you found my truck. I was parked next to the Yellowstone and I guess the water came up a little. I wondered how far it would make it. You can keep the fish that are inside, just roll a window down and I'll pick it up after it dry's out some.

McDave

All the catfish were shot spear fishing. I also don't think rolling the window down is gonna help a bit. But ur more than welcome to try it. Lol

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Tue May 23, 2017 7:30 pm

I worked a solid 8 hours today and only hung 3 sheets of luan, but the ceiling is in. It is touch hanging this mess by yourself. All the sheets had to be cut down to length and width to fit. 2 of the sheets had to be cut for the ceiling vent and to fit around the door spring. I'm just about to a summer break'in point. All I need to get dint is the A/C installed and finish up the electrical. Then I can build my funds back up to so my cabinets.

ImageImage
ImageImage

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby faust_21 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:15 pm

How did you mount your etrack? Did you have to weld in supports? Really wanting to do the same, but not sure how to mount them.

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions