Beginner looking for advise

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Postby firemansd19 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:12 pm

faust_21 wrote:How did you mount your etrack? Did you have to weld in supports? Really wanting to do the same, but not sure how to mount them.

Look at post #31 for more pics.

In the pics u can see the pieces of horizontal tubing that is welded in place. This are 1" x 1 1/2" rectangle tubing, 14 gauge. It's a little overkill, next time I will use 11 gauge. My bed frame will be built to hold a queen size mattress (60" wide). The Etrac is about 12" in from the edge. There was no scientific formula on doin that. Just seemed like a good place to do it.

Rear Etrac has 6 screws holding it in (1 1/2", #14 self tapping screws)

Front Etrac has a few extra because I used the verticals support beams on the front side.

Hope this helps you out.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Beginner looking for advise

Postby faust_21 » Thu May 25, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey thanks a lot. Looking at pics on your phone can sometimes make it hard to spot the little details. Patiently waiting to see your bed finished as I plan on doing the same, but haven't found anyone who's don't it just this way to pick their brain. Good luck. Build looks great so far.

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby firemansd19 » Thu May 25, 2017 9:03 pm

faust_21 wrote:Hey thanks a lot. Looking at pics on your phone can sometimes make it hard to spot the little details. Patiently waiting to see your bed finished as I plan on doing the same, but haven't found anyone who's don't it just this way to pick their brain. Good luck. Build looks great so far.

I completely understand what you mean. I stalked this site for months before I started my build and could never find exactly what I had pictured in my head. My trailer will be nothing like any I have seen on this site. It will be a multi-purpose rig. I still want to be able to haul stuff easily, but be able to pack up for a weekend at the river, lake, or deer lease.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:24 pm

This has been a slow project. I am making headway on my AC project. I'm using a 6,000 btu window unit for my trailer. Here are a few pics of my current situation. ImageImageImageImageImage

I used 16" 100lbs drawer slides I bought at Lowes. This is the best I could fine. Had to. Build the foundation and the frame for the AC to sit in. I'm goin to bolt the legs to the floor and keep my fingers crossed. It will simply slide out when in use and back in when not.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Iconfabul8 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:31 am

Can't see why that won't work great, looks good! :thumbsup:
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 8:50 pm

Made a little more progress this evening. Now I gotta get this thing wired so I can run it and make sure it cools enough.

ImageImageImage

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby faust_21 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:53 pm

firemansd19 wrote:
faust_21 wrote:How did you mount your etrack? Did you have to weld in supports? Really wanting to do the same, but not sure how to mount them.

Look at post #31 for more pics.

In the pics u can see the pieces of horizontal tubing that is welded in place. This are 1" x 1 1/2" rectangle tubing, 14 gauge. It's a little overkill, next time I will use 11 gauge. My bed frame will be built to hold a queen size mattress (60" wide). The Etrac is about 12" in from the edge. There was no scientific formula on doin that. Just seemed like a good place to do it.

Rear Etrac has 6 screws holding it in (1 1/2", #14 self tapping screws)

Front Etrac has a few extra because I used the verticals support beams on the front side.

Hope this helps you out.

What gauge tuning did you use and was it sufficient? Finish your bed yet?

faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby firemansd19 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:03 pm

I think I used 14ga. tubing. It was a little over kill. I have not finished my bed frame. Been working on the AC shelf. Hope to get started in cabinets pretty soon.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:43 pm

Made a little more progress on the AC install today. Got the frame work around the door cut and braces up. I used "door sweeps" to go around the hole so the AC would seal off when pushed out. I'm goin to cover the frame work around it in luan to direct the air out, cause I'm gonna have a counter top and pantry going in soon. I've had the AC running most of the day and the temp inside is amazing. I think I will sleep just fine. Next test is to set it out in the sunlight and see how the AC does. I will do some final touches in the next few days and finish this AC project.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:27 am

This mornings project was a success. I got the shore power to the trailer hooked up. AND GET THIS........ it worked. I'm no electrician so that's a major accomplishment. I have 1 light up and 2 temp plugs. My AC is wired in and blowing super cold. I also finished up the box around the AC. Even did a little trim work to it.

I even insulated the top and side. Don't really have a reason other than I had it laying around.

Sanded It down and front trim. I'm super happy with the out come.

Hopefully within the next week or so (weather permitting, if y'all haven't noticed LA is in hurricane season) I'm gonna get the cabinets goin in and plumbing.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:01 pm

Seems like I have 3 different task goin at once.

This is the base for my pantry. It is also the Box around my water tank. It's nice to have friends that are very skilled carpenters.

I also started in my tongue rack and bottle rack. I just have to decide on just a platform or do I wanna put sides on it.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:10 pm

Nothing like having 3-4 different projects goin at the same time. I'm almost done with the fab work for my tongue basket. I need some expanded metal or the floor, gonna get it blasted and painted. Then bolt It on.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby firemansd19 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:29 pm

I'm getting a little closer on my tongue rack. I'm by no means a welder but I'm a heck of a grinder!!!!!! Lol

Now this counter top project. I have got to make the drain plumbing fit in a space about 5". Idk if it's gonna be possible. It a trip to lowes will tell the tale!!!

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:49 am

One word for that drain issue, care to guess? Yep, Hepvo. Check it out.
http://hepvo.com/

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Sidekick » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:39 pm

Having that wrap around your a/c unit is going to make it short cycle and eventually burn it up. The intake for the A/c and the discharge are from a very small space ahead of the A/c and it will not be enough dissipation to get actual room air in and not a bunch of recirculated cold air- (45 yrs in heating a/c field.)
" Chances are- if you don't know where you are going, you will never get there"
Sidekick
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions