Picking the right 6x10?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Picking the right 6x10?

Postby Dashunde » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:57 am

Hi all, I'm in the early stages of my family's trailer build.
We need it to sleep 4 - Queen bed mattress + 2 kids bunks (or one larger bunk for two kids?)

Basically, I'd like to duplicate Camper-4Life's layout using a standard enclosed ct.
See.. http://tnttt.com/gallery/image_page.php?album_id=3382&image_id=127640
Click forward through his pics for a general idea of the layout.

Other than its cargo appearance, is there any reason to buy a trailer without a side door and install my own?

Is any particular ct brand known to be a good foundation for conversions or any to avoid due to construction techniques?

Thanks!
Last edited by Dashunde on Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dashunde
Teardrop Inspector

Picking the right 5x10?

Postby Padilen » Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:53 pm

If weight is a concern then go all aluminum. The height will also be something to consider based on TV. Some brands are not nation wide so knowing where you are located , would be helpful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by Padilen on Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Padilen
Donating Member

Re: Picking the right 5x10?

Postby Yukon Cornelius » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:50 am

Are you looking to do a fold down bed platform for the queen? Not sure how you'll fit a queen (5'x6.6') and 2 bunks in a 5x10, unless you have a very high ceiling to stack them up.

If you've got the skills, installing your own doors and windows is certainly an option, but I opted for the ease of having mine done at the factory. I went with these folks because of the ease of choosing options and ability to pick it up where I wanted.

http://trailershowroom.com/standard_enc ... ations.htm
Yukon Cornelius
Teardrop Builder

Postby Dashunde » Mon Jan 09, 2017 7:54 am

I'm in St Louis.

A queen is 60 inches wide.

Generally, I'd like a queen mattress on the floor, a bunk at each end of the cabin, side mounted cabinet/shelf that also supports a slide out a/c unit, a couple extra feet at the foot of the bed for a storage locker and maybe a portable toilet.

I'd like to buy barn doors, install a hinged flip-up roof that sits on top of the barn doors (maybe awning fabric so the doors can open wider?), along with the usual galley items - sink, gas grill/burners, possibly a dorm/rv fridge.

In the end I want the thing to look good - "cute" is a wifey requirement, she's not apt to liking a white utility box with a big square door, whereas she does like the looks of Camper-4Life's trailer linked to above.
So I have to get decent looking windows and doors into it, along with a silver or some lighter color thats not white.
I have no idea where to find/buy the trailer outlined above...

I could build it, my hands are skilled and have tools aplenty, but my gut tells me I can buy one cheaper than I can build one by the time all of the little things are accounted for, plus it'll come with the barn doors that I want in the first place.
Dashunde
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Donut757 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:48 am

5x10 will be slightly less than 5' wide inside. Depending on wall thickness you will have around 56" in width. A custom mattress will be need and like stated above, a folding bed will open up the trailer big time. If folding bed, you may not be able to fold it up from floor due to interior height of trailer. A small frame lifted off the ground would give you the storage underneath instead of at the foot of the bed.

Sleeping 4 in 5x10 will need some creativity.

That space will fill up quick as i am finding out laying out my set up.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:05 am

Dashunde, Howdy;

As you mentioned a roof that raises, take a look at this build;
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65659

Seems like the 2 of ya are on the same set of tracks.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onehoser » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:26 am

this is how i set up the bed in my 5x8 v-nose. the foam mattress is 58" wide
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (220.39 KiB) Viewed 2652 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Dashunde » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:52 am

Donut757 wrote:5x10 will be slightly less than 5' wide inside. Depending on wall thickness you will have around 56" in width.

Well... phooey. I figured they sized them from the interior, but I guess axle widths set the standard?
Learned something new already... but it shouldnt be a suprise.. I'm always wrong :roll:
Thank both of you for saving me from myself right off the bat on a critical aspect.

It seems a 6x10 is the way to go then. I was kinda kicking 6ft around anyway because 5ft limits the sideways mounted bunk length to very young kids.. 4'" 10" will come quick enough.

I just want it to fit into my 3rd car garage stall without hogging up every inch.
Last edited by Dashunde on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dashunde
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Picking the right 6x10?

Postby Padilen » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:20 am

How high is your garage door opening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:29 am

Welcome to the madness!

-All I can say is they really fill up fast!
-Buy a trailer 2 feet longer than you think you need...(just do it.)
-Consider making sure the tallest one of you can stand up in it, otherwise keep the tent.
-Pay the extra to have an RV style door installed at the factory. Thank us later.
-Same for two windows; high and offset (one front, other rear on the other side for crossflow, thanks "Gonefishin".
-Do you plan to haul any gear or toys? (bikes, boats, etc?)
-Those kids grow fast, don't wait, my two youngest nearing exit from high school, "it was only yesterday we were camping at..." and as they grew, they needed more space and room for a friend from time to time.

I too wanted a rear galley, but quickly realized it interfered with loading/unloading gear. I was going to build a folding roof over the barn doors, but in my case, the top of the doors are really too high from the ground to make easy use of. I went standard leaf spring axles for better ground clearance.

I took pictures of our tent camping outings to see what we took and how we used it. We never cooked inside, unless the weather was terrible, so the outside galley setup stayed.

I like your layout ideas, but if you are considering a cargo for your base, it makes the build go much faster and stronger.
Checkout these for additional ideas:

Ours (sleeps 6):
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=48345

PA Wilds 7x16 (outsidezion):
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=61833

WA 7X12 single axle-simple, functional, yes even cute.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=40504

Gonefishin 6x12: another all-time favorite, but where would your kids sleep in this 6x12? (did I say that out out loud?)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=33924

Trailer for 4 please:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65019

BTW, what is your tow vehicle, vs trailer loaded weight, and do you have any plans for light off road use?
Idea farm here: I think, If I had a 4WD tow rig, one of those Cargo Craft off-road styled trailers modified for my use would be the ticket today. They weren't building them when I designed mine.
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65926

Garage door discussions:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60903

Oh, two more ideas, clear out your garage floor, set up your trailer layout on the floor, blue tape, etc, see how multiple ideas work, or don't. Have the family enter/exit the layout as if the trailer was there.

Once you get the trailer, make a few dry runs before the final build out, you'll be amazed at how the design will change, once you start camping out of it.

Best,

David
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Yukon Cornelius » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:16 am

NO David! wrote:Oh, two more ideas, clear out your garage floor, set up your trailer layout on the floor, blue tape, etc, see how multiple ideas work, or don't. Have the family enter/exit the layout as if the trailer was there.

Once you get the trailer, make a few dry runs before the final build out, you'll be amazed at how the design will change, once you start camping out of it.

Best,

David

Great advice!
Yukon Cornelius
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:54 pm

Yukon Cornelius wrote:
NO David! wrote:Oh, two more ideas, clear out your garage floor, set up your trailer layout on the floor, blue tape, etc, see how multiple ideas work, or don't. Have the family enter/exit the layout as if the trailer was there.

Best,

David

Great advice!

+1... :thumbsup: Ol' David is a smart guy.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby NO David! » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:28 pm

Y'all are too kind, just repeating what I've been taught by the veterans here, and using my hard knocks schooling.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby Hader » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:58 pm

As to "Is any particular ct brand known to be a good foundation for conversions or any to avoid due to construction techniques?"

It's like Ford or Chevy! IMHO, unless you own one they are both junk.

When you buy an RV, you are buying %100 junk. When you buy a Cargo Trailer, you are buying less junk (frame & box). As you convert it, you make it right.
Most brands are equal for 'what they charge' for.
Some people will swear by one brand or another. For example: Haulmark. Personally and from prior experience; I wouldn't touch a Haulmark unless it was free. My cheap Lark, exceeded my exceptions of any brand (I was expecting a Haulmark-like junk).

A Cargo Trailer will give you a chance to make something out of nothing. It beats starting with %100 junk.

Follow the 2' more rule. Let us know what you want out of it, and see how everyone here can help.
Hader
Silver Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Good choice on thinking about 6' vs 5'. Trying to fit sleeping for 4, and extra foot will help.

If buying new, might even get away with 7' with wheel wells inside if u have enough room.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions