7x16 continental V nose

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 7x16 continental V nose

Postby jr9744 » Thu May 25, 2017 1:36 pm

mrwall1 wrote:And my Electrical panel came in today! now I can start setting that up! All of the Sudden I have lots to do again!!

Take good pictures of how you wire up this panel!! I got this one also and will start wiring up mines in about 2 weeks. It doesn't look terribly hard to hook up, but would love to see notes from someone who just did it.

Also interested in what sizes of breakers your going to buy if you use ac (assuming you are). Also interested in how you will pick the fuses and circuits for the dc part.

Build looks nice btw!
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:46 pm

jr9744 wrote:
mrwall1 wrote:And my Electrical panel came in today! now I can start setting that up! All of the Sudden I have lots to do again!!

Take good pictures of how you wire up this panel!! I got this one also and will start wiring up mines in about 2 weeks. It doesn't look terribly hard to hook up, but would love to see notes from someone who just did it.

Also interested in what sizes of breakers your going to buy if you use ac (assuming you are). Also interested in how you will pick the fuses and circuits for the dc part.

Build looks nice btw!

thanks... I will... still out a couple weeks probably on electrical... not as much ambition as I hoped today...
my Old Teardrop build journal
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=59792
My New 7x16 Continental V Nose Build
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=67734
My Photobucket Link to 7x16 V nose build
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/mrwall/ ... %20Trailer
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:51 pm

Well not as much ambition as I hoped today... think I will go and pick some stuff up from home depot and call it a day... But did manage to get the roof etched and primed... now just waiting for the Eterna bond tape and the Dicor roof coating....to come so I can finish the roof...

Etched

Primed

Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Fri May 26, 2017 7:08 am

mrwall1 wrote:Well not as much ambition as I hoped today... think I will go and pick some stuff up from home depot and call it a day... But did manage to get the roof etched and primed... now just waiting for the Eterna bond tape and the Dicor roof coating....to come so I can finish the roof...

Etched
Primed

Can you share the products you used to do this? I want to protect the roof in some way also, but not quite sure what to get to do this yet. And what is etched? And why do you need Eterna bond tape?
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:41 am

jr9744 wrote:
mrwall1 wrote:Well not as much ambition as I hoped today... think I will go and pick some stuff up from home depot and call it a day... But did manage to get the roof etched and primed... now just waiting for the Eterna bond tape and the Dicor roof coating....to come so I can finish the roof...

Etched
Primed

Can you share the products you used to do this? I want to protect the roof in some way also, but not quite sure what to get to do this yet. And what is etched? And why do you need Eterna bond tape?

I'm a painter by trade... Aluminum and galvanized and stainless steel are non porous... so paint does not have anything to grab onto, bare sheet metal is up in the air... some think a good metal primer will hold others don't... so to be safe I always etch it.... Etching is a chemical reaction that gives the paint something to stick to.... there are some wipe on etches.... and some DE glossers that can work, some painters say wiping it with vinegar will etch it.... but I like an industrial etch that is made for that purpose, Sherwin Williams ( might have to order it for you) carries a product called DTM Prime Wash... and that is what I used....it is an acid based coating... if I was using it on aluminum I would go to an industrial paint store and get one that is 2 parts... and Sherwin Williams says their krill primer will work as an etch... it is acrylic based... but I just wanted to make sure I had no paint failures... Then I primed the roof with Dicor.. metal primer acrylic base ... The eternabond tape is a silicone based tape to put over the seams... it alone without ever coating your whole roof would probably make it so it would never leak! but I want the cooling effect also, so I am going to put the dicor elastomeric roof coating over top of everything ( 2 coats )
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:50 am

Had a nice day to work on the trailer.... got a little warm... we are not used to 80 degree weather in the NW until usually july and aug.... so I did open the rear door and got a nice breeze to come through...
Picked up the sink today and got the plywood installed and hole cut.... have to wait 10 days to get the laminate we are going to use for the counter tops... Did some upper cabinet framing and put up a piece of bead board between the kitchen and bathroom.

The wife said she didn't want a very deep upper cabinet above the sink... so just went with 10 inches.... but should still have plenty of storage above the v-nose countertop!

Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:13 am

mrwall1 wrote:
I'm a painter by trade... Aluminum and galvanized and stainless steel are non porous... so paint does not have anything to grab onto, bare sheet metal is up in the air... some think a good metal primer will hold others don't... so to be safe I always etch it.... Etching is a chemical reaction that gives the paint something to stick to.... there are some wipe on etches.... and some DE glossers that can work, some painters say wiping it with vinegar will etch it.... but I like an industrial etch that is made for that purpose, Sherwin Williams ( might have to order it for you) carries a product called DTM Prime Wash... and that is what I used....it is an acid based coating... if I was using it on aluminum I would go to an industrial paint store and get one that is 2 parts... and Sherwin Williams says their krill primer will work as an etch... it is acrylic based... but I just wanted to make sure I had no paint failures... Then I primed the roof with Dicor.. metal primer acrylic base ... The eternabond tape is a silicone based tape to put over the seams... it alone without ever coating your whole roof would probably make it so it would never leak! but I want the cooling effect also, so I am going to put the dicor elastomeric roof coating over top of everything ( 2 coats )

Allright, so I found everything online.

This sound about right? (I have an aluminum roof)

- Sherwin Williams DTM Wash Primer - 2 parts ( I couldn't find the price online.) My trailer is 7x16 like yours, how much of this did you buy? And how much is It generally?
- Docor Primer - $79.93 1 Gal This says for metal, will it work for Aluminum?
- Dicor Roof Coating Elastometric 1 GAL - $35.84
- Eternabond 4'' x 10' roll, $17.48

If the DTM Wash Primer is 100 bucks, it would cost about $233.25 to protect the roof. I think this is worth it for no trouble later down the line.

Thanks for the info.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:55 pm

jr9744 wrote:
mrwall1 wrote:

Allright, so I found everything online.

This sound about right? (I have an aluminum roof)

- Sherwin Williams DTM Wash Primer - 2 parts ( I couldn't find the price online.) My trailer is 7x16 like yours, how much of this did you buy? And how much is It generally?
- Docor Primer - $79.93 1 Gal This says for metal, will it work for Aluminum?
- Dicor Roof Coating Elastometric 1 GAL - $35.84
- Eternabond 4'' x 10' roll, $17.48

If the DTM Wash Primer is 100 bucks, it would cost about $233.25 to protect the roof. I think this is worth it for no trouble later down the line.

Thanks for the info.

Great sounds good! yes with the prime wash the dicor metal primer will work on aluminum! I already had the prime wash...I didn't realize it was that much! but it is well worth it.... I quart for the prime wash and the primer should be enough... (it was for mine...) I bought a gallon of the elastomeric.... and I bought a longer roll of tape.... the two inch tape would probably work good enough....but I bought the 4" just to be sure....
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby jr9744 » Sun May 28, 2017 11:31 am

mrwall1 wrote:Great sounds good! yes with the prime wash the dicor metal primer will work on aluminum! I already had the prime wash...I didn't realize it was that much! but it is well worth it.... I quart for the prime wash and the primer should be enough... (it was for mine...) I bought a gallon of the elastomeric.... and I bought a longer roll of tape.... the two inch tape would probably work good enough....but I bought the 4" just to be sure....

Cool, so i'll get longer tape. Oddly enough, I can't find a quart of Dicor Primer online, but i'll keep looking (Can find tons of gallons for sale).
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:12 am

Yay! I finally got a day to work on the trailer today! and should get some more time this week.... Painted the walls and ceiling with the color the wife chose... kind of a goldish yellow.... put another coat of porch enamel on the floor with the paint chips thrown in... Built the bed frame... whew... that kingsize took up the whole back end! next year we will figure something else out... so we can use the trailer as a toy hauler also....

Also started putting the tape on the roof seams last week, but ran short of tape.... another roll will be here this week, the laminate we are using for the counter tops should be here by Friday.... so I hope I have all weekend to work on it... lots to do!
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby mrwall1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:54 pm

I got the 2nd roll of Eternabond tape today so I finished taping the seams...

And got the first coat of Dicor metal roof coating on before it gets to hot....

Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:00 pm

Oh yea,
That'll make a huge difference in roof temp. Nice neat, clean, journeyman like work as well. Keep that stuff up.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby mrwall1 » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:15 pm

McDave wrote:Oh yea,
That'll make a huge difference in roof temp. Nice neat, clean, journeyman like work as well. Keep that stuff up.

McDave

Thanks McDave! hope so, it was getting hot inside!! got the second coat on... might do another before we take off for a road trip...

Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:24 pm

It is looking nice! How do you like that bead board? That is what I used to panel my build also. I have not painted mine yet and I need to do a finish coat of paint for sure. It will be a glossy white...

I see you mentioned you are a painter by trade. Any recommendations on a paint that would be tougher than the normal glossy interior/exterior house paint so I could really scrub the walls down if wanted to. Hopefully you can recommend a paint I can get at Sherwin Williams or something at Home Depot or Lowes. I really want a premium paint that will wear well and not scuff easily since I am going with white walls. I may later add 24" of tread plate aluminum to the bottom.. but not right away.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby mrwall1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:27 pm

flboy wrote:It is looking nice! How do you like that bead board? That is what I used to panel my build also. I have not painted mine yet and I need to do a finish coat of paint for sure. It will be a glossy white...

I see you mentioned you are a painter by trade. Any recommendations on a paint that would be tougher than the normal glossy interior/exterior house paint so I could really scrub the walls down if wanted to. Hopefully you can recommend a paint I can get at Sherwin Williams or something at Home Depot or Lowes. I really want a premium paint that will wear well and not scuff easily since I am going with white walls. I may later add 24" of tread plate aluminum to the bottom.. but not right away.

Thanks Don.... Well 40 years of painting... and I messed up on the beadboard!!! I really like the beadboard.... but I listened to my paint store rep... instead of gut instincts! I used Sherwood Williams extreme primer... suppose to stick to anything... and then I used their Pro Classic Acrylic... which is a waterborne enamel... everytime I rub something against it... it peels the paint.... I now wish I would of used either the Sherwin Williams Pro Industrial Acrylic DTM Paint.. with the Pro Industrial Primer.... or Zinsser 123 primer or all prime for priming.... and the Pro Classic.. modified Alkyd/Acrylic paint... cleans up with water... but oil base.... All the Sherwin Williams Pro classic paints are pretty durable... will hold up to some scrubbing... The Pro Industrial also comes in a waterborne epoxy that would probably be the best ..i used it on a little electric Cushman... and is holding up really good... Also Miller Acrinamel is pretty good, Kelley Moore Dura poxy and PPG makes some nice waterborne enamels for industrial use...
Mike
mrwall1
Teardrop Master

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions