Help a newbie find a quality CT

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Help a newbie find a quality CT

Postby subagon » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:41 pm

Hi all,

I'm just beginning my journey into the world of CTC's. As step #1 I'm trying to find a quality made CT. It's early days, but I'm thinking about something around 7x14 for size. So I'm looking for suggestions for manufacturers of quality made CT's, or poorly made CT's to avoid.

TIA,

Mike
subagon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Help a newbie find a quality CT

Postby CoventryKid » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:28 pm

Welcome!

I bought a new NEO all aluminum trailer a couple of years ago and converted it into a travel trailer. I've not had any problems, even with skylights, fan, and 3 windows I installed.

I chose NEO for the quality and the weight - 7x16 x 7 empty with spare weighed 1870 lbs. I weighed it myself before I started conversion.

NEO uses real screws to attach 3/8 interior plywood to the walls, something you will appreciate when you come to insulate and wire.

Hope this helps!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 pm

I bought a Lark from Douglas Georgia. I think it is a well built trailer; however, they have some quality control issues, at least when it came to my trailer. I'd say not matter what brand you get, take off the interior plywood and inspect and paint the studs and ensure no leaks along the wall seams. Also, check all your wire connections to the trailer lights and ensuer they are good before sealing back up the walls.

Make sure they do use real screws as mentioned previously.... Lark did with mine.

Good luck...
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:02 am

I started with a Pace American Journey 6x12 that I bought used for 1500.00 and then horse whipped as a work trailer for more than five years. Never really thought I would take it as far as it has gone, but here we are. About 2000.00 in parts and supplies, and a few, well more than a few hours of labor and we're talkin' fully converted toy hauler. A/C, Heat, Hot water, toilet, shower, sink, vent fan lite combo, refrig, microwave, TV/stereo, LED lights, back lit bar, propane,12v and 120v systems, genny, black tank, fresh tank, etc.etc. It's got it all, and it all works.... just sayin'
To answer your question, Pace is not, I repeat not top of the line. But I'd say about average for the price. If I was to start with a new cargo trailer, probably would be a NEO or similar all aluminium 7x14 at least 6'6" height with brakes. I have no idea what something like that costs, but I'm guessin' more than the 3500.00 I'm in for. I doubt anybody expects to realize a profit at resale, but some of us will take it in the shorts worse than others, depending on how much you really use it.
Make smart use of your dollars and labor, and you will be surprised how much you can do.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby RandyH » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:16 am

Probably, the most important thing is how much you are willing to spend. I spent $5400 on my Pace American Journey Special Edition. I ordered it with 2 windows, torsion axles, 16" OC frame members, 6" main frame, custom paint, etc. I would recommend buying what you want the first time and not settle...

RandyH
RandyH
Teardrop Builder

Postby subagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:17 am

Thanks for the info guys :)

So far liking the NEO trailers, but quality comes at a price. Found a 2016 7x16 NAVR with several options online for $6300. They also had a 2015 6x12 w/ options for $4000. So I have a price range to work with.

I found a post that referenced R&R Trailers, (http://rnrtrailers.com/). I gave them a call and their prices are about the same as NEO. Any comments?

Mike
subagon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:13 am

NEO, American Hauler and R&R are all good trailers.
Mine is 7x14x7 an all aluminum, American Hauler dealer stock. Built for a side by side UTV. My friends custom ordered a 6x12x7 that I made the lift loft bed for. And I've actually forgotten now what brand it is. I think it's R&R.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:42 pm

here is a great place to start http://www.trailershopper.com/browse-8-0.html
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby subagon » Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:53 pm

Doug & Don,

I checked out both of your builds and WOW! A lot of good ideas. :thumbsup:
subagon
Teardrop Inspector

Postby hankaye » Wed Jan 25, 2017 10:37 am

subagon, Howdy;

Choosing a "new" trailer is a daunting task, took me 2 years of lookin' and researchin' .
What I decided on as a "Best fit for me" and the me part is critical, was a 6' X 14' X 6"6"
Interstate built by Trailers Plus. I've included a link to their store locator so you can see
if there is one you may be willing to travel to. The folks that I communicated with during
the ordering phase were extremely helpful and knew what the answers were when I asked
a question and didn't try to blow any smoke up my @$$ in the process. I live in Southern
New Mexico and purchased mine on the road to Montana for a fishin' trip. Picked it up in
Salt Lake City, Ut. on the way to Mt. so, you can see how important it was that it "BE right
the first time" for me. Only a few very minor glitches that would be considered as normal
stuff that was quickly corrected at their facility and I was on my way with it that afternoon.
So, take your time, plan well, and most importantly, have fin with it.
https://www.trailersplus.com/trailer-dealerships/
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions