Raise the Roof!!

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Raise the Roof!!

Postby McDave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:54 pm

It's a little late to think of this now, but I wonder just how complicated it would be to add say 6"-12" to the height of a "completed" CTC? Obviously, not a preferred operation at this point, but....Even 6" would make a huge difference in comfort when standing and moving around inside. Also, this could be an opportunity to add some "Daylight" at the top of the wall with some "glass blocks" or something similar. It wouldn't be fun at this point, but if a person was to do this first, I can see where you could get a very custom result. Someone out there with drafting or art skills maybe could render us up a drawing? I envision cutting the roof spars at wall top plate and extending each 6-12". Then installing blocks of Lucite or similar that are 23"x6"-12"x 1.25" WHD. in select areas or all the way around at the wall top plate. That would add a lot of daylight inside and might be an interesting effect at night from the outside...
Whaddya think?
McDave
Donating Member

Re: Raise the Roof!!

Postby IndyTom » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:10 pm

How about one of those bubble shaped skylights? Would add a few inches without raising the roof.
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby Donut757 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 2:33 pm

That would be a great concept.

Just thinking here, but Would prolly be easier to lower the floor than raise the roof. The light added at the roof would he really cool though.
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby aggie79 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:07 pm

Similar to IndyTom, I would look at adding an extension to the original roof. It should be easier than extending the walls.

A trolley top seems to provide the height where it is needed most. Here're are inside and outside views of a vintage Westcraft "breadloaf" travel trailer with a trolley top.

Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby McDave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:11 pm

And what looks cooler than a trolly top? Not much...You might be on to something here, aggie79... :twisted:
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:27 pm

Donut757 wrote:That would be a great concept.

Just thinking here, but Would prolly be easier to lower the floor than raise the roof. The light added at the roof would he really cool though.

Or, maybe a "body lift"? Lift the entire body and add the spacer(s) at the floor?
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:32 pm

Maybe I just need a bigger trailer.
This looks about right....

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Donut757 » Fri Jan 27, 2017 10:33 pm

A mobile hunting blind...i support the idea!
Donut757
Teardrop Master

Postby IndyTom » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:07 am

I love trolley tops, not sure why I didn't think of that......
Great suggestion.

Tom
Never trust a skinny cook

My build thread:http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=36226

IndyTom
500 Club

Postby onehoser » Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:14 am

McDave wrote:
Donut757 wrote:That would be a great concept.

Or, maybe a "body lift"? Lift the entire body and add the spacer(s) at the floor?

that's what i was thinking, lifting it at the floor would be the easiest way
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby flboy » Thu Feb 09, 2017 9:03 pm

McDave, you could make a trolley top all the way down the top center except for a few feet in the back, and then make a spot for an air conditioner to set on the roof in the back sort of how they do in the conversion vans. That would be real cool. I like the trolley top idea the best. 12- 18 inches high would be great. I can't imagine all the ventilation and light if you put windows in up there too.

I ordered my CTC with 18" extra height because I am 6' and my head would almost hit in my old CTC. I did feel kind of confined at times. The 18" feels like I have vaulted ceilings. I may have only went with 6" or 12" except I was planning for the loft bed deployed with bikes below. Glad I did it now... one of those things are best decided up front.

Are you serious about doing that? You'd probably have the first CTC with a trolley roof. I'l like to see it. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:50 pm

Ya, I'm a six footer, too. And not the skinny or graceful kind either.. these size 12's ain't made to do " The River Dance", but I have been known to scoot a boot if thought I could get my buckle polished.... It's funny too cause' Miss Jewels is 5'4" and 104, that's a size zero for all you single guys. Try shoppin' for that in Cowtown or Sturgis. Ya got two choices, "Hello Kitty Carhart's" or "Camo for Kiddies"...uhg. Well, looks like it's gonna be another St. Valentine's Hot Rod or Harley for her. Oh well, Whatcha gonna do?

So am I serious bout the trolly top? I'm seriously thinkin about.. thinkin about it. Like I said, hindsight being 20/20 and all, it sure would have been easier to start there than to cut up the trailer I just finished. So, I'm gonna have to use it for at least a season, and work on some other "upgrades" before I'll be brave enough to tackle the Max Headroom project, but thanks for poking that nerve, I had almost forgot about it. So now I'll just obsess over it till I talk myself into it. Now, if were Tommy, I'd already have the "Open Air Solarium" roughed in. That boy don't dilly dally once he's inspired,... just sayin'
And Man would it be sweet, I can see it now..

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions