window placement

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

window placement

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:06 am

My 6x12 Neo trailer will have 3 - 30x30 sliding windows. 2 on the drivers side and 1 on the passenger side.

My question is thoughts on best position for them. My thoughts were to be able to look out them when sitting in a dinner type unit at the rear of the trailer. So not too high. But then if they are too low when you stand up you might have to bend down to look out them.

Thoughts??

How about positioning. My thoughts were 1 foot in from the rear of the trailer and the driver front 1 foot in from the front of the trailer.

Anyone do anything different

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: window placement

Postby Padilen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:00 am

I have only installed on small window in my door so far. But staggering windows as oppose to directly across from each other. Is what the experts suggest. My friends ordered their new trailer with 2 windows and they are across from each other. The door "window" is just frosted glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:52 am

It is a matter of personal preferences and whether you care about seeing out more easily standing or sitting (I chose sitting since I'd be doing more of that inside the CTC); however, you'd be able to get good cross side ventilation in a breeze if at least two of the windows were across from each other.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby onehoser » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:38 am

since my 5x8 tin-tent is only 5' tall i placed my windows high so i can see out while sitting and closer to the rear so that:

1) i don't have to climb onto the bed to open/close the windows
2) to prevent the bed from getting wet in a sudden downpour
3) if either half of the bed is in the up position it doesnt block the window

olllllo
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.36 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:32 am

ZERO windows...5 peepholes strategically placed, LED strip lighting, fan, AC, motion detector porch light and interior "warning light". I'm not paranoid....much

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby funengineer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:53 am

I have a two Tone trailer. Black on the back silver on the front with a chrome slash. Here's a picture from my phone album. I installed my 15 x 30 windows in the black section and put them so that I could see out when I was standing up inside the trailer but hopefully nobody could see in. Image

funengineer
Teardrop Advisor

Postby beachguy005 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:02 pm

Padilen wrote:I have only installed on small window in my door so far. But staggering windows as oppose to directly across from each other. Is what the experts suggest. My friends ordered their new trailer with 2 windows and they are across from each other. The door "window" is just frosted glass.

Padilen, What's the spare tire bracket on the trailer? I'm looking outside mounting options for mine.
Thanks,
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby CoventryKid » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 pm

I go with Don's (flboy) comments. It's personal preference as well as what the interior layout of your trailer is/will be.

The two large windows at the rear of our trailer are low - "sitting height" so we can see outside while sitting. Yes you have to crouch a little to see out when standing.

The small kitchen window was a no-brainer - high enough to clear the sink, but low enough to be under the upper kitchen cabinets.

Do you have a plan for the interior of your trailer? Perhaps you can post it?

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Padilen » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:02 pm

beachguy005 wrote:
Padilen wrote:I have only installed on small window in my door so far. But staggering windows as oppose to directly across from each other. Is what the experts suggest. My friends ordered their new trailer with 2 windows and they are across from each other. The door "window" is just frosted glass.

Padilen, What's the spare tire bracket on the trailer? I'm looking outside mounting options for mine.
Thanks,

I don't know it's my friends new trailer. I built their platform / loft bed. I can't remember if it's a NEO or R&R. But it's an option from the manufacturer.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks guys

I've decided to go with the windows as far to the rear and at sitting height. So one on the rear drivers and one on the passenger side at the same position. I've also put a second window on the drivers side as far forward as possible. All 30x30

Coverntrykid..My plan is to emulate the boler we had previously. So sitting area at the rear of the trailer which will form a 5 foot wide bed across the rear. rear is 69" wide and myself and the wife are max 58" tall so works well. In the front I'm going to have another couch across the width of the front and it will also slide out to a bed about 30" in width. In the middle of the trailer on the driver side will be a small galley area, countertop with some shelving underneath. I also plan on cutting a couple of holes into the floor and having my portable air conditioner sitting under the countertop connected to these holes. On the drivers side about where the wheel is I will have a larger cabinet with a door. Up in the vnose (behind the couch) will be where I will keep my spare tire and incidentals like folding chairs etc. I plan to paint and run wire shelving along both sides of the trailer high up for higher stuff like sleeping bags etc.

my biggest thoughts right now are where to place the battery and electrical panel. it will be sealed so not so worried about ventilation. I'd ultimately like to use two 6v golf cart batteries but they get pretty heavy and I'm not sure if the Jeep Wrangler has the tongue weight ability for two batteries up front. My next consideration was on passenger side above wheel in the cabinet which would distribute the weight better but now I have to run electrical all the way to that location from the tongue. perhaps underneath from the tongue and up into the cabinet.

Anyhow want to be able to balance weight as best as possible

Thoughts?

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby primaveraduration » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:27 am

I think the Window is placed very well. The main problem with such big Windows is that it gets a lot of light enters the truck's interior. While I was traveling, the passengers always complained that the sunlight was disturbing them, so we had to find different methods to block it. We decided to buy some shades from https://snapshades.com.au/. It was easy to install them, and I like that they are extremely efficient. It completely blocks the sunlight and can create a shady atmosphere even on the sunniest day.
Last edited by primaveraduration on Thu Sep 01, 2022 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
primaveraduration
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Karebru » Mon Aug 29, 2022 12:32 pm

CoventryKid wrote:I go with Don's (flboy) comments. It's personal preference as well as what the interior layout of your trailer is/will be.

Yep. :thumbsup:
The front of my trailer is basically kitchen. So those two windows are just above counter height. The wall stud spacing determined their lateral locations, and then the upper cabinet design.
Later, I added two more smaller windows up high at the very back, just to let some light in. After a few trips, we decided it needed them.
I'm not going outside until the temperature is above my age.
Karebru
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions