Were to put the generator?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Were to put the generator?

Postby subagon » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:44 pm

I'm at the "build in my mind" stage of my build :lol:

So one of my requirements is to be able to boondock with an air conditioner (I live in Florida). Therefore, I'll need a generator. My question is where to put it?

I'm thinking along the lines of an Onan 4000 generator (30"L x 20"W x 15"H) and a 7'x14' to 16' CT. Neo or RNR if funds allow.

So far I have thought of...

1) Put it in the bed of a pickup inside a protective box like the picture below. Problem is, I don't have a pickup.

2) Mount it on the trailer tongue in a protective box like the picture below. Most trailers I've seen don't look like they have enough room for this, but I have seen some trailers that offer optional longer tongues.

3) Put it inside the CT. RNR offers a "generator door", whatever that might be. I don't care much for this option since it takes up room inside the CT, adds noise inside, and possible exhaust fume danger.

4) Mount it under the CT. Not as bad as inside, but ground clearance could be an issue.

Thoughts? Comments?

TIA,

Mike

subagon
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Were to put the generator?

Postby yrock87 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:54 pm

Get a portable gen that you can put behind the car to attenuate the noise? people are having luck running a 5k BTU window shaker off 2000w inverter types I think?
The SJ Cruiser, my 5x10 Benroy build http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=64944
yrock87
Teardrop Master

Postby working on it » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:15 pm

subagon wrote:I'm at the "build in my mind" stage of my build :lol:
So one of my requirements is to be able to boondock with an air conditioner (I live in Florida). Therefore, I'll need a generator. My question is where to put it?
I'm thinking along the lines of an Onan 4000 generator (30"L x 20"W x 15"H) and a 7'x14' to 16' CT. Neo or RNR if funds allow....3) Put it inside the CT. RNR offers a "generator door", whatever that might be. I don't care much for this option since it takes up room inside the CT, adds noise inside, and possible exhaust fume danger....Thoughts? Comments?

TIA,

Mike
Have you thought of a slide-out?, so you can run it outdoors, fumes and most noise outdoors, and you can retract it inside the locked door for travel. You would have to build it with slide hardware capable of holding it at full extension (my first attempt was not strong enough), perhaps with a support leg underneath. I built a slide/swivel for my 4x8 trailer, to run the A/C if there was no park power (and later added an extended-run auxiliary fuel tank), with slide hardware strong enough (this time) so it works for my under 100 lb set-up. I've seen many trailers with very heavy kitchens (etc.), sliding out to extreme distances, so, if you need the heavy duty hardware to make it work, it's available.
heavy duty slide-out hardware.GIF
heavy duty slide-out hardware.GIF (33.71 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
Here's a link to my slide-out (revision) post:http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59704&hilit=generator
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:14 pm

Put mine on the tongue in a locking mount, nice and safe.
rsz_img_1884.jpg
rsz_img_1884.jpg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 2431 times

rsz_img_1887.jpg
rsz_img_1887.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 2431 times
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby jwhite » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:40 pm

I built my trailer in 2010 and I am glad I did my research and bought a Honda 2000 the best part is I also added the extended gas tank so I have 7 gallons of gas so it will easily run 24 hours with out having to add gas, but I run a 8000 btu AC and I also charge a golf cart so it is really at the max.
it is a great generator but it needs to be cranked regularly, I have also had to have the carb cleaned out a couple times and finally put a in line filter that has worked so far,I have had times when I didn't think I was going to get the generator cranked up and running and finally had it crank just before giving up

I have been thinking about buying this generator https://www.amazon.com/Champion-Power-Equipment-75537i-Generator/dp/B00JZQUSAC
I really like the idea of having the wireless starting ability plus it has a lot more power than the Honda 2000
I always put the generator on the front side of my truck not just for the noise but getting the exhaust as far away as I can, the generator weighs 65lb but I use my golf cart to get it were I want it placed,
I know I would need to make a frame to secure in in the back of my truck and leave it there with a cover year round.
as much as I hate to unhook my truck I would so I can turn it around away from the trailer, but it would be great to just push a button and turn the generator on and off from inside the trailer.
??
I have watched a few youtube videos about this Champion and looks great and less than a new Honda.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:25 am

I ended up with a 6875wt. ? Coleman portable in a trade/barter that had less than 1 hr on it, and had an older one I used for work as well. So that's what I'm starting with. Plenty of power for AC, heater, fridge, all 12v and120v appliances and charging. I just removed the wheels and welded a frame for the Gen to sit in to the tongue, then bolted Gen. to frame.
It's probably overkill, and loud but I have since added a resonator box and full on motorcycle muffler to the exhaust. It helps a lot but the engines are just inherently sloppy and noisy. I counter balanced the weight by putting the fresh tank rearward of the axle and it works well when half or more full (25gal), also I keep my toolbox in the rear close to the ramp.
I'll try to get some pics with the motorcycle exhaust, it looks cool anyway. You can see Gen. mounted here:

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 am

Howdy All;

I truly hope y'all are getting the exhaust fumes up and away from the CT's ... :worship:

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bill n Robi » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:02 am

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

I truly hope y'all are getting the exhaust fumes up and away from the CT's ... :worship:

hank

Mine runs on propane - only h2o and co2 - no toxic fumes. Has a mixture adjustment for peak performance at high altitude - gas generators are fixed by EPA for sea level and do not have jets to adjust which mean poorer performance, less power and more toxic fumes at higher altitudes.

AND harder to start.... Never had to pull more than twice.
2015 T@G Max
2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 4 Door Short Bed
Bill n Robi
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:37 am

hankaye wrote:Howdy All;

hank

Indeed! Also, if you can get the exhaust aimed up and away from the ground and the area where you are the noise is reduced. Less echo and reflection.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Glenlivet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:37 pm

I built a cage for it and mounted it on the tongue, along with the tire, propane bottle, and battery.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=46134&hilit=glenlivet&start=75

Pics a little ways from the top of this page.
Glenlivet
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions