Cushions to sit and sleep on

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Cushions to sit and sleep on

Postby Bearbait in NM » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:34 pm

hank,

Thanks. I am a tad bit north of you, in the Solar Capital of the World (that's a hint). I kinda wish I did not have four years of memory foam on a fold out bed, but you know life and lemons and all of that. And my 130 pound dog gives two paws up to memory foam as well :cry:

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:17 am

Bearbait in NM, Howdy;

Craig, strange you should mention the Solar bit, thought the set-up just Southwest of Hatch had that
crown.
https://www.greentechmedia.com/articles ... nd-running

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby aggie79 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:27 am

This is another good discussion.

In (over) thinking about a possible CT conversion, I've wondered about how to do the combination dinette seat and mattress foam. Though it is extra work, I like the idea of a separate 2" memory foam "topper" that can be rolled up and stored when not sleeping. We prefer firmer seating and didn't think we would like the memory foam layer to sit on.

Another thought we had was to go ahead and combine the 2" memory foam with the 4" medium-firm density foam into one pad. When seating the medium-firm density foam would be the up side. For sleeping, the pad would be flipped over with the memory foam side up.
Tom (& Linda)
For build info on our former Silver Beatle teardrop:
Build Thread

aggie79
Super Duper Lifetime Member

Postby Bearbait in NM » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:46 am

Hank,

Our Local Radio station uses that slogan as they are partly solar, but more because of the use of solar here. I am sure there are more square inches of panel in some place like LA, but much of this is to augment conventional grid use. Here, we actually have lots of folks who only have solar for living, in all manner of use. From converted school buses up to Earthships, and everything in between. I guess it's a question of size of array v. breadth of use.

Aggie,

You are probably correct. A 4" pad of memory foam would not be an ideal seat, per se. When you sleep, you are pretty much stationary. When folks sit for relaxing or eating, there is a lot of readjusting, squirming, moving going on. Sinking into 4"'s of foam would make this less comfortable. The idea of a double pad, of two types sounds like a great idea for an application where the pad is always out, either folded up with the bed, or moved around in different configurations.

For myself, I am placing a premium on my conversion being used for sleeping/living, and hauling, with the edge given to adjust my tongue weight with varying loads. My fold out single/double bed platform comprised of 2, 3/4" birch plywood boards on hinges, folds flat against the wall for only 1.5" of width. This maximizes the width for hauling, and keeps the mass up against the wall, which I hope will help with durability, as my trailer will be going offroad. Roll up my pads, and toss them pretty much anywhere. A double pad, attached, would likely not work well for me, as I speculate that rolling would become a bear. But in my other offroad camper, where I set up a cot or sleep on the deck, or haul gear to the ranch for cabin sleeping on cots, I use my foam and a thermorest pad.

When I bought my first sheets of Memory Foam 4 years ago for daily use/rolling, I thought they would not hold up. I guessed wrong. Other than the Walmart pad, which I really need to toss, or cut up into dog bed size.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions