Cushions to sit and sleep on

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Cushions to sit and sleep on

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Using a pullout dining setup for sleeping on as my 6x12 is somewhat small to have a dedicated bed. Cushions? Just wondering what folks are using to sleep on and sit on when the bed is in a dining format.

I would like to have a comfy bed so willing to spend some money to get it right. We have several folks around here that will do sewing and put the cushions together which is nice

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: Cushions to sit and sleep on

Postby jwh92020 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:07 pm

Al - I used a 4" FIRM foam for the cushions on my last build. 2 benches with backs that became a full size bed. Slept great for me. This build I am using a dedicated fold up twin bed. I'm having the mattress made here in OKC. 4" of firm topped with 2" of med foam. I'll have to see how it sleeps when I get it.
jwh92020
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks jwh

Never thought of a combination..I'll have to look into that

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby onehoser » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:35 am

i used 4" of medium density foam with an 1.5" gel foam on top. the 4" foam is very comfortable to sit on but a little too firm for sleeping but with the added gel foam it makes all the difference
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onelif2live85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:19 am

I am interested in this also, I want to have a twin but want it split on two long wise so it's a bench then a bed. But I'm a big dude so this is concerning. Have seen some memory foam fold up beds on Amazon but the reviews are conflicting. Hope to see some more input.

Sent from my SM-G930T1 using Tapatalk
onelif2live85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:47 am

onelif2live85 wrote:I am interested in this also, I want to have a twin but want it split on two long wise so it's a bench then a bed. But I'm a big dude so this is concerning. Have seen some memory foam fold up beds on Amazon but the reviews are conflicting. Hope to see some more input.

this is how i set my bed up, it gives me the option to use one side as a bench, or as a full width bunk that folds back so i can fit the kayak and all of my camping gear.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (220.39 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 2072 times
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onelif2live85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:07 am

onehoser wrote:
onelif2live85 wrote:I am interested in this also, I want to have a twin but want it split on two long wise so it's a bench then a bed. But I'm a big dude so this is concerning. Have seen some memory foam fold up beds on Amazon but the reviews are conflicting. Hope to see some more input.

this is how i set my bed up, it gives me the option to use one side as a bench, or as a full width bunk that folds back so i can fit the kayak and all of my camping gear.

This looks awesome, if only I had that kind of space, I'm going more overland and building out the back of my truck. What did you use for the actual sleeping pad?

onelif2live85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:24 am

• I don't have a cargo conversion, but I do haul cargo in the front of y 4'x8' TTT. I started doing this before I had a large tongue-box to hold enough equipment (including battery) to shift my trailer's weight bias forward (I needed more weight forward to have sufficient tongue weight for travel). I installed an e-track on the inside front wall, and D-rings on door frames and on the floor, as well, to strap the cargo down. I folded my mattress back over itself, strapped it down, and put my cargo in.
  • At first, the cargo was usually one 65-75 lb ice chest (loaded), and two seven-gallon Aquatainers (120 lbs for the pair), strapped to the front e-track, and with bungees to the D-rings holding them down. Plenty of tongue weight now! later, as I got the balance to where I wanted it, I could travel without forward cargo in the cabin, but I still carry one ice chest there, to keep it cooler than in my truck bed, in the sun.
  • But, I have a problem folding the mattress back to make room for the cargo, after I bought a second 75"x38"x3.75" thick Ikea mattress to put on top of the original. I didn't need it, but my wife said she did (she never has used the trailer, yet). So, I'm going to cut the second foam mattress into two sections, to ride on top of the bottom mattress. Then, I can still easily fold back the single thickness mattress, on the bottom, and strap it down for cargo room. By stacking the cut pieces on top of the intact mattress, I can also sleep in a more head-up position, that I prefer, due to periodic acid reflux, and be able to recline, if I just want to relax during a hot day, having no other airconditioning outside (Texas heat, even in fall and spring). I may have to trim a little extra off of the cut portion of each piece, to make a smoother transition to the next layer, and I'll have to secure all pieces in place with zip-ties on the side edging (my all-purpose solution). A commercial, 5 mil thick, heavy-duty waterproof bag (I had a mis-placed canopy direct water thru an unsealed door one time, my waterproof bag saved my mattresses!) will cover all. The existing bedding will still fit, as it's oversized, and the excess will work for the new upper layer.
  • modified double-mattress plan.png
    modified double-mattress plan.png (92.03 KiB) Viewed 2037 times
  • It may be unorthodox, and a redneck solution to two problems, but I always defer to function over form anyway.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby onehoser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 am

onelif2live85 wrote:
onehoser wrote:

This looks awesome, if only I had that kind of space, I'm going more overland and building out the back of my truck. What did you use for the actual sleeping pad?

i started with 4" of medium density foam which was great to sit on but a little too firm to sleep on, so i added 1.5" of gel foam on top. now it's very comfortable to sleep on

tony
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby onelif2live85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:39 am

onehoser wrote:
onelif2live85 wrote:
onehoser wrote:

i started with 4" of medium density foam which was great to sit on but a little too firm to sleep on, so i added 1.5" of gel foam on top. now it's very comfortable to sleep on

tony

Where do you get the materials to put this together?

onelif2live85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby onehoser » Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:50 am

onelif2live85 wrote:
onehoser wrote:
onelif2live85 wrote:
onehoser wrote:

tony

Where do you get the materials to put this together?

i bought the 4" foam at 'foam land' in hamilton ontario and the 1.5" gelfoam at canadian tire in their camping gear section
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby Bearbait in NM » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:00 am

I have been living in small quarters for the last 4 years, and camping much longer than that with "foam". My thoughts on memory foam.

For a build (or in the case of my home sleeping arrangements), memory foam is great. The primary reason is that it can be rolled up rather tightly, and stowed. There are big downsides to memory foam. First, if you by the cheap stuff, you are going to be disappointed. Been down that road. I only buy the real stuff now, and it is not cheap. You can get by with 2" if you are on a cot or some other type of soft bed top. On a board like many of us are using (and in my case now designing), you are going to want 4" thick. I have a queen 4" pad at home, but no way you are going to roll that thing up in any easy way. I typically sleep on a 4", that is 30"'s wide, and rolls up easily, and tightly. I Have been tossing this in my camping stuff for many years, and it works great at home or in camp.

The next downside to memory foam is that it sleeps hot. For those that have never used it, it is a unique experience, sinking down and having the foam mold to your body. Insanely comfortable, but your underside can get warm. I have no issues, as I live at 6000', and camp even higher. If I lived or camped in really hot weather, I would want to talk with folks who do so, to get an opinion. And related to the hot sleeping, is the choice of sheets or material. At home, no big, as I run flannel in the winter, and traditional cotton sheets in summer. For my build, I have not yet decided on a material to use, as the cover is going to have to work all the time.

It cuts very easily, so you can buy one big bed, and easily cut into two strips, one for bed, and one for back in couch mode, or bed and bed if your bed extends/folds out. But this easy cutting also means that it nicks and can tear when rolling, if you are not a little careful. I am going to run 4" in my new trailer, and going to use the rollable feature of the foam to allow me to stash the pad where I need, and not take up quite so much room as when deployed. My 6x10 is kinda tight, and I really cannot spare the room for any kind of mattress that cannot be made smaller for transport.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby onelif2live85 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 am

Bearbait in NM wrote:I have been living in small quarters for the last 4 years, and camping much longer than that with "foam". My thoughts on memory foam.

For a build (or in the case of my home sleeping arrangements), memory foam is great. The primary reason is that it can be rolled up rather tightly, and stowed. There are big downsides to memory foam. First, if you by the cheap stuff, you are going to be disappointed. Been down that road. I only buy the real stuff now, and it is not cheap. You can get by with 2" if you are on a cot or some other type of soft bed top. On a board like many of us are using (and in my case now designing), you are going to want 4" thick. I have a queen 4" pad at home, but no way you are going to roll that thing up in any easy way. I typically sleep on a 4", that is 30"'s wide, and rolls up easily, and tightly. I Have been tossing this in my camping stuff for many years, and it works great at home or in camp.

The next downside to memory foam is that it sleeps hot. For those that have never used it, it is a unique experience, sinking down and having the foam mold to your body. Insanely comfortable, but your underside can get warm. I have no issues, as I live at 6000', and camp even higher. If I lived or camped in really hot weather, I would want to talk with folks who do so, to get an opinion. And related to the hot sleeping, is the choice of sheets or material. At home, no big, as I run flannel in the winter, and traditional cotton sheets in summer. For my build, I have not yet decided on a material to use, as the cover is going to have to work all the time.

It cuts very easily, so you can buy one big bed, and easily cut into two strips, one for bed, and one for back in couch mode, or bed and bed if your bed extends/folds out. But this easy cutting also means that it nicks and can tear when rolling, if you are not a little careful. I am going to run 4" in my new trailer, and going to use the rollable feature of the foam to allow me to stash the pad where I need, and not take up quite so much room as when deployed. My 6x10 is kinda tight, and I really cannot spare the room for any kind of mattress that cannot be made smaller for transport.

Craig

This is perfect and more complicated all at the same time. As I will be camping I. Florida lol. Where do you get the good stuff that you can sit down. I see pre grabbed, but not made to fit. Also any pointers on determining the good stuff from the bad?

onelif2live85
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bearbait in NM » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:08 pm

One,

I live in a very small town. Shopping is either Walmart, or one or two places that specialize in any given product (amazon excluded). Best I can offer is that Walmart is junk, and I have one to prove it. The single local bedding store sells actual Memory Foam brand, and that is what I would call the good stuff. That is the brand that is easy to cut to size, rolls up well, and as I have one 4" x 30" pad that I have been using for home and camping, will hold up to being made portable. I have abused the heck out of it, and it is the same today as it was 4 years ago. It is not hard to cut, and it is possible that a proper bedding store might cut to size.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby hankaye » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:00 pm

Bearbait in NM, Howdy;

Welcome to the forum! Good to hear a voice with some experience behind it.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

A Southern Neighbor from the wee bitty village of Arrey, N.M.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions