puck lights in ceiling

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

puck lights in ceiling

Postby yycwrangler » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:11 pm

Just wanted to find out what folks are using for ceiling lights. I'm interested in LED puck lights that would run off of the 12 volt battery. Perhaps 6 in a 6x12 trailer. I'm also going to run some RGB led light strips along the edges of the ceiling when we don't want to use the puck lights.

Anyhow back to the puck lights, I've seen some from IKEA and Walmart etc that seem to have a 110volt to 12 volt convertor (used in a house). At least I think that's what that big square section on the plug in is doing. has anyone modified 110volt to work on 12 volt

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: puck lights in ceiling

Postby John61CT » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:51 pm

Anything needing 110-12V just plug into 12V, that's what it wants.

If your house circuit gets up too high say high 14s-15 while charging you may have issues.

DC-DC 12V-12V step-down or "buck" converter, stabilizer will fix it.

Or if low current draw take a chance with too-small long wiring​ to drop V a bit, but could get hot be dangerous.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby working on it » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:27 pm

I use IKEA 110v RGB puck lights, and have a set of 110v strip lights from IKEA also. I guess I could use them with my 12v if I had to, but I also have a series of 12v-only dome lights on the ceiling (with constant 12v to them). I don't remember where I bought those. I have surge protection where the park power enters the trailer, fuses for 12v, and breakers for 110v down the line.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:13 am

At least I think that's what that big square section on the plug in is doing. has anyone modified 110volt to work on 12 volt

Al:

Everything after that "big square section" is 12v. Simply cut it off and wire the lights to your batteries.

Hope this helps!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:25 am

Hey Al,
I didn't use the "puck" style, But I have 2 Led fixtures that have dimmers. They resemble traditional RV fixtures, but LED and dimmers on/off. 1 in cargo area, center of ceiling, 1 in galley area directly above door. Both are wired to a main switch, also located above door, and a 2nd main located at rear on the side of ramp frame. 3 way so either switch can turn on/off.
Also, I have a total of 40 ft of LED strip lights, "warm white" color, that also have a main sw. above door, and are on dimmers with remote controls. I'm a big fan of indirect lighting, and my trailer is only 6 ft high, so ceiling lights can be harsh. I put 16 ft of strip at mid height each wall in cargo area, hidden behind a handrail, 8 ft facing up, 8 ft facing down.
The light "washes" the wall and lights up the ceiling and the floor but you don't see the LEDs. There is another 8 ft total in galley. 4 ft across nose at ceiling running from door to fridge, (eyelevel) 2ft under fridge/ above sink, and 2ft under sink counter top above "bar". They are very effective and comfortable. They draw less than .4wt per ft @ 100%. About 15wt for all 40 ft @ 100%, but I rarely have them over 25% and mostly at 5-15%, about 2wt per hr. I have no windows so this the only light source and it works great. The over head fixtures I only use for task lighting. The strip lights and dimmers are unbelievably cheap on EBAY, so I ordered lots of backups and replacements but so far zero problems.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:22 am

I did a little LED light testing. I bought a few to see what I liked.
1. This is the fixture that came with the trailer. I bought this LED replacement bulb for it. I was not really impressed. It wasn't nearly as bright as I was hoping a 68 led bulb would be. http://www.ebay.com/itm/301881412351?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
2. I got this as a porch light. I thought if I liked it I might buy one for each side of the trailer. Front for hitching, truck bed, etc. Back for the ramp or backing up maybe. Left for bad guy watch.
These weren't bad, I will probably get more. I believe they are cheaper on Amazon http://www.ebay.com/itm/322047480583?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
3. This was my pleasant surprise, with just a small row of leds I wasn't expecting much out of this thing. However, it was bright, has a warm light, I like it!! WINNER!!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252117172469?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
4. I had high hopes for this thing, however it is peripherally bright and annoying, and doesn't shine out too far. http://www.ebay.com/itm/231313262723?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I then found they made this light that is twice as good as my favorite. Winner Winner!!! :applause:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-12V-Bright-Double-Pancake-Light-RV-Motorhome-Yacht-Indoor-Ceiling-Dome-Light-/252118355992?hash=item3ab36cd018:g:~cwAAOSw5ZBWGxzo
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby jwhite » Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 am

I started out with the nice brass dimmer lights but after the bulbs burned out they are no good now I buy the puck lights from lowes that look nice and are brushed aluminum that have a way to dim them, I now just have several that I just move around and leave some in the same places around the trailer they are just not attached.
I do have a couple that I glued a really strong magnet to the back and have a spot as soon as I open the door I can reach to and find and turn on, they work great to stick to anything metal like the side of the truck if needed.
I find this works better for me and no wires are needed, I try not to run them much so I get long battery life, instead I like to use candles that help out with the smells you get in a small space.
I buy the candles that have a glass jar around the candle so they are safe.
I still have one of the brass lights but I try not to use it much to save the bulb I have left, they look great but you do have to run the wires and I felt I didn't really use the dimmer that much ?
That's just what I found works for me.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Woodbutcher » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:17 pm

I just ordered these. http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED12V-8-5-Brig ... Xc&vxp=mtr

If you do a search on Ebay you will find all kinds of 12 RV lights. Some require a recess some don't. You can spend an hour shopping there. :lol:
Woodbutcher
Platinum Donating Member

Postby yycwrangler » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Guys

Many thanks for all the quick responses..Woodbutcher, I had a look at your link and then the subsequent links to that, and the recessed lights are just what I want..I imagine LED recessed lights don't give off much heat.

Again thanks for all the quick posts

cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby cdub » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:37 pm

I used puck lights from homedepot. I looked at IKEA lights but didn't find them bright enough and the ones that were bright enough turned out to be 24 volt and no use with my setup. Make sure the light you get are 12 volt then cut the wiring and connect to your battery. My trailer is lit up like stadium when they are all on. The strip lights need to be done in shorter lengths like about 4 ft so they don't overheat when left on. If you look at my build there are some pics of the lighting. download/file.php?id=16460
cdub
Teardrop Builder

Postby yycwrangler » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:20 pm

So I went with these lights in the ceiling
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/3-Mode-Dual-Colo ... n_CA(en_CA)&cnac=CA&mail=sys&e=op&ppid=PPX000608&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&var=451769929293&calf=be07c755b72c&calc=be07c755b72c&pgrp=main:email&unptid=225d177a-04ca-11e7-be6e-8cdcd4b6f248&mchn=em&t=&s=ci&page=main:email&cal=be07c755b72c&cust=

They look interesting. I went with the RGB ones, square, which have a remote and you can change the colour of the exterior, dim, even do disco lol...they work in 3 ways. both Color and white on, white centre only or colour only.

Bought10 so will have a couple left over

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby ffemtp » Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:14 pm

I installed these: http://amzn.to/2nkuyfS Four in the ceiling panels below the insulation and one above the sink. Tremendously bright and very low current draw = extremely pleased.
ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions