building cupboards

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

building cupboards

Postby yycwrangler » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:56 pm

Did most of you guys build your own tall pantries/cupboards. I was looking at a put=to=gether unit which fit my needs but it's MDF and damn heavy.

Think I would prefer to stick build some cupboards but have no experience. So if you did build your own, let me know as I'd love to have a look at your build page which hopefully shows how you built them. Or if you know of any other good web sites on building simple cupboards let me know and yes I will do my own searches also

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: building cupboards

Postby flboy » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:18 pm

I built mine... first time around on that. They turned out decent. You can do it.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby cdub » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:06 pm

I built all mine. At first a bit overwhelming but not bad in the end. Stick built and I used 1/4 inch maple plywood as I didn't want any mdf in my cabinets due to moisture and swelling.
cdub
Teardrop Builder

Postby Hiflyer » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:08 am

If you hit Windsor Plywood you can get Baltic birch plywood

A far far better material than MDF

Can you draw your designs in CAD or the like? Can always draw it up & get them cut for you

If you can pocket-screw the joints with tightbond glue they'll last for a long long time too
Hiflyer
Teardrop Master

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 am

Here's a good site with a lot of free plans.

http://www.freewoodworkingplan.com/
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:49 am

I've built a lot of cabinets from scratch but now lean toward buying unfinished frame and panel doors with mortise and tenon joints and just build face frame. I can get the doors for very little more than my cost for materials. Last ones came drilled for the cup hinges and I liked that, but might just mortise butt hinges in tear and a positive latch.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby beachguy005 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:47 pm

One other thing is that you often don't need full cabinets with sides and back panels. I'm building one in the rounded nose of a CT and it was easier just building the top, face frame and doors. Using the trailer walls and floor as part of the cabinet. Also saves on weight.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Postby flboy » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:11 pm

I was going to buy cabinets partly because I had never built cabinets before and partly because I thought the cost would be similar given I needed to buy a router and etc. A fellow CTC builder on this site encouraged me to build them just for the satisfaction of doing the whole build myself and he said it was not too hard. I did mine and I am so glad I did. They turned out decent and are a huge part of the final looks and feel. Glad I was encouraged to build and get alot of satisfaction knowing I did it myself.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Scomi21 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:58 am

Are you guys just putting 1x2 on the walls for a lip, building the front part with 1x2 and putting a piece of plywood as the base on the lip for uppers? Then finishing off with some Luann on the front to cover up the stick build?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scomi21
Teardrop Builder

Postby beachguy005 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:53 am

With my situation, I have a bullet nose..a rounded V nose. That's where I wanted a cabinet. I just used a cardboard template the get the shape of the nose, cut 3/4 ply for the top and mounted 2" L brackets to the studs to secure it to the wall and built a face frame and doors from that height to the deck for the front.
Just remember that anything you build is going to be bounced and flexed as you haul it around. So it needs to be sturdy.
beachguy005
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions