insulation thickness on walls and ceilings Neo trailer

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

insulation thickness on walls and ceilings Neo trailer

Postby yycwrangler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:48 am

Anyone with a Neo..What's the thickness of insulation I can use in the walls and ceilings. There is a sale on in Calgary and thought I would pre buy before trailer arrives first week of April. I'm thinking 1" but I might be wrong

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Re: insulation thickness on walls and ceilings Neo trailer

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:36 am

Ribs are 1" square tubing. I added 5/8 ply strips to each rib (to make thermal break), so 1" + 1/2" rigid insulation, then foil tape over all seams.

Been full-timing in our CT for over 13 months. Spent the winter months in Victoria, BC.

Hope this belps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:28 pm

Thanks Doug..I was figuring that only you and I have the Neo's..What did you use for depth on insulation for the roof

Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:39 pm

Al:

If you check my build (link below).....I ripped 1" x 5/8" ply strips and attached one to each ceiling rib. I then installed 1.5" rigid insulation between each rib. Then I strapped 3" x 5/8 ply strips down the length of the trailer - along each side, down the middle, and roughly where my interior walls were going to meet the ceiling. I used the 5/8" gap as a "chase" for my 12V electrical wiring and LED puck lights.

The finished ceiling is 1/4" plywood from Home Depot, screw holes filled with gyproc mud, and painted white. I used 1.5" wide strips of the 1/4" ply to cover any seams (mainly the one down the middle of the trailer).

BTW, the main reason for the 5/8" ply on each rib (walls and ceiling) was to create a thermal break. All the interior plywood walls and ceiling are screwed to the plywood, not the ribs. In 2+ years of use, I've never had a problem with screw heads getting wet because of cold temperatures outside/warm temperature inside.

Hope this helps!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks Again Doug..Sounds like a very well insulated trailer you have there..Great build..Do you have AC..How did you put it in

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Postby CoventryKid » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:53 pm

Hi Al:

Hummed and hawed about A/C. Did not want one on the roof as I had installed a Maxxair fan and did not have strong enough ceiling supports anyway.

Long story short, we were in Quebec last summer, in the heat of summer. Couldn't take it any longer so I went to the local WMart and picked up a portable unit (single 5" hose). It stores in our front closet when we travel and vents out the side. I just pull it out and face it towards the rear. Cools the CT nicely even in 101F temps in Bethesda, MD later in the summer.

And yes, I knew we would eventually get a portable unit, so I put in a vent (a small opening door) in the trailer wall before we left. I've recently changed the "door" vent to a louvered vent so I don't have to remember to open the door when I want to plug in the A/C.

Where are you in YYC? We might be up your way this summer, after a trip to the Oregon coast and the desert SW.

Hope this helps!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby yycwrangler » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi Doug

We're in Cochrane about 25km's before you get to Calgary from Banff..yes you'll have to let me know..love to see your trailer.

Do you have any other pics of your AC build. Not sure if you built a cabinet or have it slide out..

Cheers
Al
yycwrangler
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions