Manufactuer insulation

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Manufactuer insulation

Postby tradarcher69 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm new here and getting ready to pull the trigger on a 7x12 CT. I can get it insulated at the factory with 1" beadboard. I know it would be cheaper to do it myself but I'm in my upper 60"s and trying to have the factory do as much as possible. My question is will 1" beadboard work or am I just :thinking: wasting money. I live in South Carolina and will not be taking it out of state. Using it mostly fishing/hunting/just getting away. I now camp all year long in a tent or pop up so super cold weather is not an issue. Your thoughts and recommendation is greatly appreciated> Thanks :thinking:
tradarcher69
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Manufactuer insulation

Postby Esteban » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:23 pm

Beadboard has the lowest insulation R value of foam boards. You could double the 1" R value to about R6 or R7 with better foam board you install yourself.
Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby QueticoBill » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:07 pm

Headboard, aka EPS, has an r value of around 4 per inch. Styrofoam, the typically blue or pink foam, aka XPS, is around 5 per inch. Polyiso foam, greyish or yellowish usually, often foilfaced, has an r value around 6 to 6.5 per inch (more when new, less after a few years.) These vary a little from source to source. Cost per r value increases. Check local prices to see.

I'd compare cost of EPS installed to cost of materials and adhesive or fasteners. The skin and interior sheathing will add some insulation. I believe air sealing is as or more important for comfort.
QB
A tear with no name: viewtopic.php?f=50&t=67624
QueticoBill
Silver Donating Member

Postby jwhite » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:20 pm

To add insulation is one of the simpler things to do yourself it's not hard to do the sheets are light weight, it does take time but not that long.
I would not trust the factory to use the best insulation and could use pieces and scraps that you would not know about.
I guess one layer is better than none but I used 2 layers, and I wasn't going to go back later to add more?
I would only have the factory do the things you know will be really hard to do like the windows or the electrical, I would have them put in a screen RV door and add rear stabilizer jacks on the rear.
and do the rest yourself you may can find someone to help you if you need to.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions