Floor covering suggestions

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Floor covering suggestions

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:43 pm

I plan on coating my floor with something like bed liner or a epoxy floor covering. I would like to know what folks are using? How long you have had it on the floor? How it holds up and Would you recommend it to someone else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Floor covering suggestions

Postby ae6black » Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:58 pm

Inside floor I didn't use anything other than polyurethane that was water based. I didn't want the smell associated with oil based which sticks around a lot longer. Since the mattress sits on this, doesn't much matter to me what it looks like since nobody sees it.
On the outside I used some auto body under-sealant that I had sitting around. Worked for me.

Art
ae6black
Silver Donating Member

Postby firemansd19 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 pm

ae6black wrote:Inside floor I didn't use anything other than polyurethane that was water based. I didn't want the smell associated with oil based which sticks around a lot longer. Since the mattress sits on this, doesn't much matter to me what it looks like since nobody sees it.
On the outside I used some auto body under-sealant that I had sitting around. Worked for me.

Art

My trailer will be a little more multi purpose. Summer time it will be a dive trailer for hauling and storing gear. So I will need something water proof. Come winter time I will use it to get my atv to the woods and to sleep in.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:23 am

I used HDX Diamond garage flooring. My trailer is 6x12, I did the cargo area 6x8 and the ramp 6x6 and had enough left for the galley area 3x3. Easy install, cleans up nice. Seems pretty tough so far. Price is right and free shipping. I like it.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-7-5-ft-x ... /205442047

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:38 am

ae6black wrote:Inside floor I didn't use anything other than polyurethane that was water based. I didn't want the smell associated with oil based which sticks around a lot longer. Since the mattress sits on this, doesn't much matter to me what it looks like since nobody sees it.
On the outside I used some auto body under-sealant that I had sitting around. Worked for me. Art
  • I used multiple coats of oil-based poly (the "mix" first, then two coats of 100%) on my 1/4" luan-faced floor. The luan was glued and screwed to a 1/2" birch base (bolted to frame), with the Titebond2 being squeezed out with pressure rollers, to ensure a gapless seal. After the walls were attached, using PL Premium adhesive under-inside-outside of the seams, It was pretty well sealed. I use rubber-backed commercial door-mats (3'x5', from HD) cut to fit. The mats are held in place by the mattress, and also one piece is inserted under door thresholds, so it will not move when I carry some camping gear inside (the mattress is folded back, held there with bungees and D-rings).
  • I inadvertently tested the durability and waterproofing of my floor, when I didn't completely compress one door seal upon closing, and the EZ-Up canopy was placed where it continuously dumped a constant rain-load of water directly onto the seal (all-day). When I went back to the trailer, I opened the other door (my preferred entrance), and discovered 1-2" of standing water under-and around my mattresses (sealed in plastic, fortunately). My trailer was sitting at a slight angle, so the water flowed downhill towards the rear, where my pillows are, and was deepest there.
  • I found the leak, eliminated it, and started to remove the water, first by tilting the trailer the other way, so I could make the bulk of it flow out the doors, then with towels to sop up the rest. The matting couldn't be removed at that time (it was night), nor the two stacked mattresses, so I removed as much water as I could, and crawled in for the night. I removed the wet sheets, using the dry comforter only, opened both vents, turned on my A/C (for dehumidification purposes), turned on my two heaters to counteract the chill, and slept thru the night.
  • Next morning, I shoved spacer material between the mattresses and floor mats, opened both windows, and turned my high-powered cabin fan on, to aerate the wet at surface, all day. That night, the inside humidity was negligible.
  • Upon returning home, I pulled everything out of the trailer cabin, unscrewed the thresholds to remove the mats, and dried everything. The floor proved to be waterproof after all! No mildew, nor stains were left either.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rainier70 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:53 pm

I used Behr Premium one part epoxy concrete garage and floor paint. http://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-Premium ... /100113293

It is an alright paint, but probably not the best. It is an acrylic or water cleanup paint. That is what I needed to go with as my airway reacts to paints that off gas.

I have had it on for about 4 years now. It is still holding up. I do touch-up fixes on it yearly. It does wear where the legs of my bed contact the floor. Mostly the wear only happens when I leave the bed down while traveling.

It takes a lot longer to dry to good hardness than the directions say. It seems like that first month I go scratches etc, but not much after that.

I haven't heard much on other finishes so I am assuming that they are holding up also. Many others have put down everything from linoleum, and foam blocks, to hardwood. The only covering I have heard really negative complaints on is stick on squares of linoleum....that don't stay stuck.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby firemansd19 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 am

McDave wrote:I used HDX Diamond garage flooring. My trailer is 6x12, I did the cargo area 6x8 and the ramp 6x6 and had enough left for the galley area 3x3. Easy install, cleans up nice. Seems pretty tough so far. Price is right and free shipping. I like it.

McDave

I really like this stuff. I just wasn't sure where to find it. Did u glue it down? What did u do for trim around it. I don't want water to get under the edges.

firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Postby McDave » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:13 am

Hey firemansd19,
I installed floor last August and so far it has worked nicely. I used Roberts 6280 Pressure Sensitive Adhesive and a notched trowel to glue down. I am not a carpet/flooring pro, but I have installed miles of hardwood flooring. Floor prep is very important because defects or debris will transmit through flooring and appear even bigger and provide a potential hazard or place to snag and tear. Fill the low spots and seams, fix screwheads etc.
If you lay it out in the sun on a clean driveway its easier to cut and work with, but it can get VERY HOT. Also, it will expand, a lot. So you may want to cut it a little big when hot, and trim as needed after it cools to normal temps. It is tough to use a roller on because of texture, so I laid some 2x8 on top and walked on them and weighted down over night.
You want to leave a little space between flooring and wall to allow for expansion, approx. 3/16" to 1/4" or it may bubble up when hot. I went around later and covered seams and edges with black silicone.
I would try to do most of your construction before installing flooring to avoid damage to flooring. You can come back later and add base trim and thresholds. It's really pretty easy but take your time and get some knee pads, you will need them.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Newt182 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:13 am

McDave wrote:I used HDX Diamond garage flooring. My trailer is 6x12, I did the cargo area 6x8 and the ramp 6x6 and had enough left for the galley area 3x3. Easy install, cleans up nice. Seems pretty tough so far. Price is right and free shipping. I like it.

McDave

I picked up something similar last week at Home Depot, it was on sale for .50/Sq Ft.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-7-5-ft ... /205185043

It wasn't sold by the roll though, it was custom cut from the large roll they have in the store, the roll was 10' wide so I had them cut two pieces the width I needed for my trailer (10' x 68.75") . This means I will have a seam in the middle somewhere since i'll need about 14' total for the length. Did you have a seam in yours and did you have any problems sealing it? Also my trailer has AdvanTech flooring in it, I'm not sure I want to glue directly to that, thinking about putting down a thin layer of luan and gluing to that.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Tomterrific » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:36 am

The problem with floor coverings is water can get under but can't get out so you can have a rotted floor. I used carpet tiles and a water bottle leaked that I did not know about. When it was finally noticed, the floor under the carpet tiles was still wet. My floor is sealed with poly so the damage was discoloration but I could see a potential problem in the future. The carpet squares were removed. I feel sealant, either varnish or paint, is the best for a floor. Painting an interesting pattern is something I've thought about for better decor.

Tt.
Tomterrific
500 Club

Postby McDave » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:07 am

If you can butt the factory edges together it will make a pretty clean seam, but you can make a nice straight cut with a razor knife and a straight edge. If you overlap the two pieces and cut through both they should line up nicely. Glue it down and come back later and seal seam with black silicone and the seam won't be noticeable. Just don't make your seam where sub flooring is seamed.
I haven't used AdvanTech flooring but I can't see an advantage to using Luan. You're not going to use the Advantech somewhere else later are you? Keep it simple, less layers is more better.
Curious though, why didn't you just get a 14' length and only make 1 cut down the side and no seam? There may be a little more scrap but no seam. ..... :NC ...

McDave

Edit; I just looked at the link, I guess you should use grey silicone to seal seam. Great price @ .50/sq,ft. ... :thumbsup: ..

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Newt182 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:05 pm

McDave wrote:Curious though, why didn't you just get a 14' length and only make 1 cut down the side and no seam? There may be a little more scrap but no seam. ..... :NC ...

In hind sight, that may have been the better way to go since it would have only cost another $10 to get the 14' single piece, but then I would have to piece together the left overs if i wanted to cover the ramp as well. With the to 10' pieces I should have a single 6' piece left over to cover the ramp.
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions