1in insulation enough?

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 1in insulation enough?

Postby gbowman » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:19 pm

I decided to add more insulation. I started with adding 1x3 wood strips to the metal beams. That took a while. I then added 1/2in foam board. I added it to the walls and ceiling! I could probaly have made it full inch. I may go back if time and money permits. I have to have the trailer more livable, AC, windows, and water, before summer. Ugh!!!!
I think I would have been Ok with 1in but I felt like I needed the wood strips for the possible condensation issue so I went ahead and added the additional insulation.
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Postby CoventryKid » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:34 pm

You won't be sorry you added the plywood strips and extra insulation.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby mobilechernobyl » Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Its not often that I find out the better way to do something BEFORE I do it! I am about to insulate my CT and found this just in time. I could not visualize until I went to the link for the awesome CT build (thank you CoventryKid) that showed the strips of wood used to separate the plywood panels from the ribs. I was going to skip the strips, but considering I never know where I may end up traveling it seems smart to do it the best I can from the start.
mobilechernobyl
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CoventryKid » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:14 pm

Gbowman:

Glad that we can share ideas, tips, and Q&A on this forum. There are so many great builds, each unique to the builder's requirements.

Good luck with your build.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby FlyBye » Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:29 pm

gbowman wrote:I'm at the beginning of my 7x16x7ft cargo trailer conversion. I have installed some with the silver backed foam insulation.
Before I move on I wanted to make sure this would be enough. I live in AR. I have already experienced some nights in the 30's! I plan to add a 13,500 btu AC, haven't decided about the heat strip yet.
Here are some questions!
Is 1in insulation on walls and ceiling enough for summer and winter?
What about sweating? Will it or will it not?
Should I insulated the floor? If so, from the bottom or on top of the subfloor.

I'll just looking for feedback or ideas. Thanks.

Arkansas Ozarks in the winter, North Central and North East, will get you to appreciate insulation... what ever amount you choose!

Will it be enough? One inch of xps rigid insulation on the walls will be adequate for most. But don't forget folks have different expectations when they go camping. Some desire the climate to be similar to their home. If that's one's expectations... 1 inch won't even come close because of the R-Value difference. However, if one want's it to be a step or two up from tent camping, then you are on the right path. 1 inch of xps rigid insulation on the walls and 1.5 inches in the ceiling is what we have for our 7x16.

Heat Strip: Don't expect an AC heat strip to be your only heat source. The owner's manual usually specifies that the heat strips are to be like a "chill chaser" in the morning before you turn on your main heat source. It is to be used as a supplement, not a source to heat the entire trailer in frigid temps. I have one in my AC, but plan on using a small safe digital space heater in ours this winter and we have at least one Arkansas Ozark winter trip planned.

Sweating: I think others have already shared their expertise in that area and all seams to make since. You just have to ask yourself if you want to go that extra route or not. There will be forks who swear by it and others who seem to get by OK with out it. Just one of the many choices you have to make based on your preferences, budget and expertise.

Floor: More is always better I've heard and I have never read where someone who installed insulation in the floor wishing they had not or taken it out afterwards. So again, look at cost verses value to you. We intend to try it with out it, but realize that we may eventually have to go that route if we have difficulty with our floor buckling. My wife wants to try some residential wood flooring... we will see how it goes...
FlyBye's 7x16 Cargo Camper Build
http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69287
FlyBye
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:46 am

The OP is a

How long is a piece of string?

question.

Full-time boondocking in Alaskan winter, or mains power campsites chasing the 70's?

Don't mind using tons of energy 24x7 or trying to get comfortable at maximum efficiency?

Don't mind wearing warm clothes indoors, used to the cold, or want to go nekkid in 78° all the time?

Too many variables.

But one hard truth - very hard to add more insulation once the build is finished.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby BigDave_185 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:34 am

Without me searching the search bar
Floor insulation
What are the options? Glue insulation under the trailer in between the frame?
Subfloor with insulation in the middle? Beams, wood sheeting, insulation, wood sheeting?
Carpet? Rubber pad?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BigDave_185
The 300 Club

Postby John61CT » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:55 am

Depends if you can afford losing inside headroom.

Best is continuous sheets, so over the floor. No need to use another layer of heavy plywood unless rough usage, rigid foams have great compression strength. Just need protection from heavy tearing or puncturing, for just living space can just put finish floor layer right over tge foam sheets.

Otherwise plenty glue foam underneath, maybe fill gaps with Great Stuff.

If I wanted excellent R-value, say ski camper, but had to go below, I'd do all spray foam with a two-part kit and finish with a tough paint, maybe even bedliner. Testing for compatibility, and masking off appropriately of course.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:22 am

John61CT wrote:If I wanted excellent R-value, say ski camper, but had to go below, I'd do all spray foam with a two-part kit and finish with a tough paint, maybe even bedliner. Testing for compatibility, and masking off appropriately of course.

+1 :thumbsup:

It all helps. My wife bought a real wool rug ($500 retail) on clearance that was 6' x 8' almost a perfect fit and it made an amazing difference. Wool is a great insulator but very expensive. With some undercarriage insulation it can be pretty liveable. Some sort of skirting would be a big help as well.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:58 am

BigDave_185, Howdy;

Strictly my opinion here. The under the floor insulation still leaves the framework (large rectangular tubes),
contacting the floor that can be the thermal bridge for the cold to migrate to your floor, albeit not that much.
The floor decking is stout and provides some R-value. Here's a chart that can help;
http://structall.com/pdf/RValue_Chart.pdf

McD's idea of using a rug is good as it covers any seams and feels good underfoot. When I took my brandy-new-to-me
up to Montana for a weeks camping I experienced some overnight temps that were in the 30's and I used a 4'X8'
el cheapo rug from Wally World and an electric oil filled heater to maintain some comfortable interior temps. The
only mod that had been done was a hole cut into the side for the electric.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby gbowman » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:52 am

I currently have 1 1/2 in of insulation on the walls and ceiling. I do not currently have anything on the floor!
I had two nights a few weeks ago that got down in the low 30’s. I had purchased a new heater that seats lower to the floor then the one I had been using! Safety was a concern with the other one. The trailer was warm but the floor was obviously colder. The seems to be a difference of at least 10 degree from the bottom of the heater to the floor. Knowing that heat rises I do use a small fan to try to move air around for a more even temp.
I do see where adding something to the floor is gonna be moved up on my list! I have one of those thick moving blankets I use one the floor now. It helps with insulating a little and making it more comfortable to walk. I added a shower a month or so ago, so being in the trailer and getting in and out of the shower can be eye opening. But It is very manageable. It does come backt to personal preference and comfort level.
gbowman
Teardrop Builder

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions