Another New Guy

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Another New Guy

Postby Tman00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:14 am

Hello my name is Terry and I am a newbie. Like many before me I stumbled on to this site by accident and I am glad I did. Going through many post and have lots of questions. I sure most have been answered before, so for now I will keep reading. I have a well used 6x10 that is in pretty good shape and have convinced my wife we need to "convert" it into a camper but can still be used to haul things. There will be 3 total counting my son. I have a "loose" plan but nothing too complicated. I think we need to go with it for now to see what we really need vs what we want. I do understand this will be a commitment. I have one question right now that I do not see an answer too. The ones of you that have put in a back wall, for various things, how do you seal it up to keep the rain from entering???? Every time we go camping it rains! Any way, just wanted to introduce myself and see if I can get an answer to my question. Glad I found this site.
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Another New Guy

Postby CoventryKid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:34 am

Welcome!

I installed a back wall with a "door opening" so that when the weather is nice we can use the ramp as a patio.

When the weather is inclement, the ramp is closed.

I did not seal the back wall - it was never intended to be open to the elements

Hope this helps.
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

GMC Savana Explorer Limited SE hightop conversion van
NEO NAVR 7x16 V-nose aluminum trailer now a comfortable travel trailer

Build: http://www.tusker-international.com/1-trlr-build.html
CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:00 am

I made my rear wall on wheels so I can open or close it.83633
I also have a awning I can put up I found it on Ebay
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Scomi21 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:09 pm

jwhite wrote:109994109128
I made my rear wall on wheels so I can open or close it.83633
I also have a awning I can put up I found it on Ebay

I'm interested in the awning! Please share

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Scomi21
Teardrop Builder

Postby jwhite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:18 pm

http://martisawnings.com/vintage-trailer-awnings.html
I found it on ebay from this company but I believe you can order the size and colors you want
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Tman00 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 1:48 pm

Thanks Jwhite and Coventrykid. I think I saw both of these and they are what made me think of the back wall. My problem is-we would need the air on if it rained (on my original post-it always rains when we go camping). Jwhite,thanks for the link for the awnings. Have you used your awning in the rain with the AC running? If so,how did it do?
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:00 pm

works fine you just have to drop one side down so the water runs off. I went with this type awning because I was trying to get away from a homemade looks like with a regular cheap tarp.
I attached it with a few small c clamps to the trailer.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby CoventryKid » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 pm

My problem is-we would need the air on if it rained (on my original post-it always rains when we go camping)

We spend a lot of time on the soggy we(s)t coast of BC. We always have our Maxxair fan vent open along with each of our 3 windows. We turn the fan on if needed, but we have no problem with moisture inside the rig.

I guess my question is: do you really need to have your A/C on just because it is raining?
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby Iconfabul8 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:39 pm

Tman00 wrote: My problem is-we would need the air on if it rained (on my original post-it always rains when we go camping).

Here is a pic of what I did. I know it's not exactly what you are thinking, but it might give you some ideas. I have seen a lot of people make the AC unit slide in and out and have a door that is hung from the top to shed the rain while using and shut while traveling with the Ac slid in.

Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby Tman00 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:15 am

CoventryKid wrote:
My problem is-we would need the air on if it rained (on my original post-it always rains when we go camping)

We spend a lot of time on the soggy we(s)t coast of BC. We always have our Maxxair fan vent open along with each of our 3 windows. We turn the fan on if needed, but we have no problem with moisture inside the rig.

I guess my question is: do you really need to have your A/C on just because it is raining?

Coventrykid,this was a poor attempt at sarcasm. I am in North Carolina and when the weather gets warm the humidity gets high and sometimes it gets down right nasty. So I am looking at all options I have. The wife has given me her blessing to pursue this but would like to be somewhat comfortable. If we have to stay in the trailer for any reason and for any length of time it can get stuffy even with fans going. So that is the reason I want AC-just to have when needed.
I looked at your build and like your layout. Thanks for sharing!
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Tman00 » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:35 pm

Now with the wheels spinning I have another question. I know nothing about electrical stuff,so can someone point me to a post or posts for electrical wiring for dummies? I think ours will be pretty simple-a few lights,maybe a TV and at some point an AC. We are planning on doing a few trail runs to see what we need. Wiring,panels and converters are a strange language for me. Do I need a converter ( I read when the Maxxfan needs DC power) So which way do I go?
Thanks
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Postby CoventryKid » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:38 pm

Tman00:

Understood! There is a difference between rain and humidity for sure. It's raining here right now, but not humid (does that make sense?!).

I remember last year being on the east coast - Boston, Washington - in 100F temperatures and high humidity. Certainly did appreciate our portable A/C then!
Doug
Vancouver Island, BC

CoventryKid
Teardrop Master

Postby jwhite » Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:56 pm

I posted this before but I used a contractors box I bought from lowes it has 8 sockets with 2 lighted switches it has a 15 foot cord I ran down through the floor and onto the trailer V
it was around 50,00 and it's simple and works great I have most of my electric all in front in one spot anyway 84669

My window AC I run a separate cord to the generator or power supply I run the other cord to the V on to the generator or shore power MY Honda 2000 will run the AC and My golf cart charger but that's the limit to run the hot water or microwave I shut off the golf cart charger for a few minutes.
I have to have AC and be able to charge the golf cart.
If I went more than I do I would buy a new champion generator with wirelss remote they have a 3100 that would do it all, I may buy one any way and have both ?
jwhite
The 300 Club

Postby Tman00 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:55 am

jwhite. that looks like what I need for now. At least until I decide what where I need things. Thanks. Right now I have a 6x10 that we will use until we figure everything out. It had barn doors on the rear and we are tight on space but doable. Thanks for the ideas and if anyone has anymore ideas, please let me know.
Tman00
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jwhite » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 am

That contractors box works great why reinvent the wheel for 50.00 I would use the same thing again on another build.
all my electric is in the front of the trailer so any thing that needs to be plugged in it right there.
jwhite
The 300 Club

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions