6x14x6.5 RC Trailers CTC Round 2

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

6x14x6.5 RC Trailers CTC Round 2

Postby Newt182 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:56 pm

I've had my trailer for about 3 years now, when I first got it I painted the walls, built a work bench with some tool storage to make it functional for hauling a couple ATVs around. Now I want to make it a little more Camping friendly while still being able to fit two sport quads inside. I've read a lot of builds but I really like Professor's build in particular. (http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=6 ... 5#p1122575) I may do a "lite" version of his build with most everything except the kitchen sink. Our trips are pretty much exclusively to ride the trails for the weekend, usually 2-3 days max. I've been using a truck tent in the bed of my truck to sleep in but would rather use the trailer to sleep in and not have to set up the tent.

The big question, :thinking: To insulate or not insulate. We ride in the summer, there could be a time or two for some cool fall nights but for the most part it's warm when we ride. I do not plan to put in air conditioning. So is it worth the expense?

My plans: (at least what i'd like to do)

Reconfigure the tool boxes/workbench into an arrangement that makes sense for storage and add some doors. (Make it look pretty and still be functional.)
Add some overhead cabinets to make use of the extra 6" height i paid for.
Add a couple windows, perhaps vertical windows that will fit between the ribs and not have to cut any.
Simple fold down platform for an air mattress pretty much the same as Professor's.
Add a roof vent with 12volt fan
Screen for the back when opened. (Magic Mesh screen for the side door)
Add 12Volt power with Batteries, (Two 6 Volt GC batteries) Solar Panels and the ability to charge from the truck while driving. No shore power, always boon docking in the woods when we go out.
LED lights for the inside, LED strip light long the curb side for lighting up the area we normally use for the food table.
USB plugs for charging phones
No plumbing, but I would like to put a water tank of some sort on board to carry water for cooking and the camp shower.
Possibly a mini refrigerator depending out how well the they work on a 12 Volt system.

Current pics.

Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Re: 6x14x6.5 RC Trailers CTC Round 2

Postby Rainier70 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:40 pm

In my opinion, yes, it is worth it to insulate. Even 1" of insulation will make a huge difference in temperature, condensation, and sound. Besides it is easier to wire your trailer with the walls open.

The insulation will help with keeping your trailer cooler in the day and warmer at night. Just as important as that is, it will cut down on condensation on the ceiling and walls. People sleeping in the trailer give off a lot of moisture that will condense on the ceiling and walls. Unfortunately the condensation on the ceiling will rain on you! Next comes sound. Without insulation trying to sleep in a cargo trailer is like trying to sleep inside a metal drum. When it rains hard the noise can be unbelievably loud. Think hearing damage! :shock:

I would also add a vent with a cover so it can be open in the rain (if you don't have one), and I would paint the roof with Henry's solar reflective paint.
Rainier70
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:15 am

Rainier70 wrote:In my opinion, yes, it is worth it to insulate. Even 1" of insulation will make a huge difference in temperature, condensation, and sound. Besides it is easier to wire your trailer with the walls open.

The insulation will help with keeping your trailer cooler in the day and warmer at night. Just as important as that is, it will cut down on condensation on the ceiling and walls. People sleeping in the trailer give off a lot of moisture that will condense on the ceiling and walls. Unfortunately the condensation on the ceiling will rain on you! Next comes sound. Without insulation trying to sleep in a cargo trailer is like trying to sleep inside a metal drum. When it rains hard the noise can be unbelievably loud. Think hearing damage! :shock:

I would also add a vent with a cover so it can be open in the rain (if you don't have one), and I would paint the roof with Henry's solar reflective paint.

+1...Go for it. That's a beauty trailer, and I can tell you take pride in your stuff, So, might as well do this right. It's not a lot of money, and a couple days labor, do your wiring at same time, also windows. Sounds like you have a pretty good plan and list of upgrades, go all the way.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Newt182 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:54 pm

I'm thinking about not continuing with this trailer as a CTC. The 6' width seems too much of a constraint and I don't want to invest a lot of time and effort just to end up with not enough room. I'm considering upgrading to a 7x16. If anyone has suggestions on makes and models to consider I'd appreciate it. Going to make some calls to dealers this week.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Postby faust_21 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:27 pm

I have a 7x7x16 with 30"v. It's got tons of room, but she's big. I have enough room to put my utv in without blocking the door and I can walk all the way around it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Postby Newt182 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:03 am

This build has been abandoned. New trailer, new build. http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68705
Newt182
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions