Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: The hauler camper Neo NAMR 7x14

Postby Vspec » Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:26 am

Edited the post
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vspec » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:00 am

As to not pollute PlaidCat's thread, here is the build update for this month: removed the snow from the roof, for the third time since Christmas :thumbdown:
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vspec » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:23 am

The snow is finally almost all melted, so to ease myself into it, an easy project, painting the loft bed supports.

I dont mind paint, I hate cleaning up after but I can't stand the finish left by a brush and prefer the finish of a roller.
Attachments
20180422_193351.jpg
20180422_193351.jpg (175.04 KiB) Viewed 4733 times
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vspec » Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am

One dirt bike got replaced by a SXS, so for the record a Yamaha Viking will find inside a Neo with the extra 6" height.

Now I have to remove the fancy Lock and Lock and re-think my transport system for the remaining dirt bike. This will leave my with some holes in the floor.

What is the best way to fill those in and make sure they will not cause issues in the future?
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby hankaye » Mon May 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Vspec, Howdy;

With all your talk about removing snow (spit!), thought I spied a Polar Yogi Bear in the corner,
between the step ladder ad the main Garage Door.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon May 14, 2018 2:16 pm

Are we talking screw/ bolt holes or the deck tie down flush mounted deal? If the latter, I used a piece of galvanized sheet flashing screwed from underneath. Then I took the "bung" from the new mounting hole and epoxied it in with DuraGlass. Hit the metal with some primer. Just sanded the Glass smooth ish before I glued vinyl floor down.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Vspec » Mon May 14, 2018 7:43 pm

hankaye wrote:Vspec, Howdy;

With all your talk about removing snow (spit!), thought I spied a Polar Yogi Bear in the corner,
between the step ladder ad the main Garage Door.

hank

Snow is all gone and got replaced by floods, luckily the water never got anywhere close our house we live quite aways from the St-John river.

McDave wrote:Are we talking screw/ bolt holes or the deck tie down flush mounted deal? If the latter, I used a piece of galvanized sheet flashing screwed from underneath. Then I took the "bung" from the new mounting hole and epoxied it in with DuraGlass. Hit the metal with some primer. Just sanded the Glass smooth ish before I glued vinyl floor down.

McDave

Bolt holes.

I was thinking silicone or caulking but epoxy is a much better idea. Put some gorilla tape underneath or a small piece of wood and fill the hole with epoxy.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vspec » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30 am

Bringing this back from the dead, in the middle of winter ...

Epoxy worked perfectly to fill those holes.

Only progress over the summer was adding 1/2 inch insulation to the ceiling which helped with heat management.

I also got a 100w solar panel to mess around with. Good sun exposure will actually run my inefficient thermo cooler. Still not ready to make holes in the roof, so I am looking at building a portable setup and increasing battery capacity.

Project for next season is to take the wall panelling down and add insulation. Once that is done I can carry one with layout in the nose.

A ladder for the loft bed is also needed for the kids.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

There goes the insulation budget

Postby Vspec » Mon May 06, 2019 6:16 am

Took the CTC out of storage and remembered this little surprise I left myself for the spring.

Took some quick measurements and the front wheels (the axle you see above) on either side are not completely parallel with the frame. The lack of a flat driveway means I am gonna get to know my local trailer repair shop.

There goes the insulation budget....

I don't recall hitting any thing that would have caused the axle to be pushed upward but there is a significant bend in that axle.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Re: There goes the insulation budget

Postby working on it » Mon May 06, 2019 7:45 am

Vspec wrote:Took the CTC out of storage and remembered this little surprise I left myself for the spring.

Took some quick measurements and the front wheels (the axle you see above) on either side are not completely parallel with the frame. The lack of a flat driveway means I am gonna get to know my local trailer repair shop.

There goes the insulation budget....

I don't recall hitting any thing that would have caused the axle to be pushed upward but there is a significant bend in that axle.

* Not likely that you bent one, and not both, while towing the trailer. If the "bent" axle is uniformly bent (tire angle is the same on both), perhaps the manufacturer installed one axle with positive camber (bent upwards in the middle), and the other without camber (no bend), either by mistake, or to compensate for heavy loading. I can see no problem if the axle is uniformly bent, and it might help with extra-weight loads centered over that axle.
positive camber helps with heavy loads.JPG
positive camber helps with heavy loads.JPG (45.15 KiB) Viewed 4052 times

* Conversely, I have a tandem axle trailer that I used to haul my race car, and was hauling round bales for my father-in-law, once. The guy loading the bales was using a huge tractor (20k lbs?) and for some reason drove up on the dovetail of the trailer, and bent my rearmost axle into a negative camber (bent down in the middle, tires angled inwards at their top). I used it like that for several years, with no appreciable extra tire wear, but eventually replaced both axles with no-camber, braked axles, after I needed to replace a cracked spring...on the bent axle, where one broke a year before...probably both were damaged by the severe overloading from the tractor.

* If your axle is a cambered one, use it as-is for awhile (if it is truly uniformly bent), and take advantage of the bend to put your heaviest items over it. It might actually help with towing, cornering, and tire scrub problems that all tandems share.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Vspec » Mon May 06, 2019 11:24 am

It is indeed the front axle that has the most pronounced "bend". My concern is that front tire on the right side.

In any case the trailer needs its annual inspection, so if there is nothing wrong, I can kill two birds with one stone. I might as well get them service the bearing if necessary.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Vspec » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 am

For those wondering what the inside of a NEO trailer looks like.

So far I have happy with the build quality. What I forgot to take pictures of is the insulation that is currently being installed in those cavities. I have settled on 1/2" EPS, as I want to keep the space for the wiring. I am using PL 300 to adhere it to the out skin. My main goals are to improve insulation reduce the tin can sound of the skin vibrating.

I am still debating using tuck tape to seal the edges or using spray foam as the gaps are quite small around the foam panels.
Attachments
20190928_171848 (1).jpg
20190928_171848 (1).jpg (335.39 KiB) Viewed 3336 times
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Padilen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:03 am

Vspec wrote:For those wondering what the inside of a NEO trailer looks like.

So far I have happy with the build quality. What I forgot to take pictures of is the insulation that is currently being installed in those cavities. I have settled on 1/2" EPS, as I want to keep the space for the wiring. I am using PL 300 to adhere it to the out skin. My main goals are to improve insulation reduce the tin can sound of the skin vibrating.

I am still debating using tuck tape to seal the edges or using spray foam as the gaps are quite small around the foam panels.
I didn't use anything. Just forced the insulation in.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby Vspec » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:44 am

Padilen wrote:[I didn't use anything. Just forced the insulation in.

I did that with the ceiling and will have to take all the panels down (and glue them) because with thermal expansion (I should have known better) of the roof skin, some of the panels have been pushed out.

Looks like weather is catching up to me and I might only be able to finish one side before the great winter sleep.
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby onehoser » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:29 am

i used tuck tape on all of the seams to help keep moisture from migrating behind the insulation
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions