Trailer advice

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Trailer advice

Postby kaloogle » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:25 pm

I've been looking on the site for a little while and am planning to look at some trailers tomorrow. I'm leaning toward a Freedom 7x14, double Dexter axles, breaks on both, 16 in center supports on the floor and sides, 24 in center supports on the roof, LED lights, 6' 3" inside height, V nose. It also has a roof vent. Planning to get ladder racks put on it for a canoe. I have an 04 Chevy 1500 with a V8 to pull it with.

I have a young family with myself, wife, 7, 5, and 2 year old kids - so need a little bit of room. We were going to go with a 6x12 but wanted a little more room for the bad weather days and young children. We also have family in WV, OH, KY - so we will be taking it there for visits. We have been camping mostly around Newburn NC and the Outer Banks. Our plan is to insulate it, get a port a potty and add a privacy wall, and use it as a glorified tent until we see what we want the inside to be. At first we will use some army cots and an extension cord. Take our time and do it right.

I have an old Coleman popup camper that we will be taking some parts off of to add, the electrical box/converter, dinette, etc.... anything that is still useable and seems like it will be handy.

Couple questions,
1. Is anyone familiar with the Freedom trailers, the dealer I found outside Raleigh seem like good people and do the warranty work locally.
2. Options for mounting propane tank on a V nose? I was thinking of putting in a false wall in the back and mounting it there in the kitchen area, but would that be safe?
3. We are leaning toward a pull down back door to give more room. Put some sort of cover/tarp over it using the ladder rack. What are the benefits of barn door vs pull down doors?

Thanks for all your help and any suggestions.
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Trailer advice

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:39 pm

Safe for propane means securely mounted, lower rather than higher, ideally not first struck in a crash.

Venting to the outside only, sealed from the living space.

Best IMO is under, but that's usually $$.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby NO David! » Thu Apr 20, 2017 10:06 pm

Veteran members can attest that when I see words like "multiple kids", "canoe", "mountain bike" etc., I "instant reflex" post my build in hopes of answering questions ahead of time or promoting ideas related to the new person's quest.

3,2,1, well here's a slightly different reply.
A prior post with my thoughts on a 7 x 14 and general considerations for a new trailer, (plus my basic build- ha ha!)
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=66446#p1176187

One of my prior posts with favorite links regarding outdoor adventure trailer builds
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65926#p1168566

Oh, I like barn doors, cause I can always add ramps, but it's tough to get rid of the ramp door if it is in the way at the campsite. Barn doors also facilitate my removable window A/C closet setup. I also have standard leaf spring suspension to get higher ground clearance, a ramp door on my trailer would make a pretty high deck floor.

With a higher trailer floor, and 6" additional roof height for inside stand up room, It sure would be tough to get my canoe on top. I used to load the canoe and kayaks on the roof of my van, (now tow rig), and can't imagine doing anything else but loading them in the trailer. When we get where we're going it looks like a circus bus unloading gear!

NO David!
Teardrop Master

Postby John61CT » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:03 pm

Check out Yakima showboat.

Also consider a few strategic drop-down step-stands on the sides to help maneuvering stuff on top, tying down etc. Fleabay secondhand firetruck ones a great deal.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby kaloogle » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:38 pm

Thanks for the info and links. We went to look at the trailers this afternoon and the info really helped!
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kaloogle » Sat Apr 22, 2017 11:18 pm

Anyone have experience with Freedom trailers as a base to build on? The specs look good but mainly seeing bad reviews. Any suggestions on a trailer available in eastern NC?
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Bearbait in NM » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:36 am

Kaloogle,

I am no expert, having recently purchased my first. I settled on the Interstate brand, and I see they have a dealership in NC. If you do a youtube search for them, you will find a few videos, a couple about the doors. My side door and barn doors are stout on my Loadrunner series. I would suggest the video to see the big difference in door constructions, if anything, to at least have something to look at with different brands, or models within a given brand. I figured the two biggest weaknesses in any design would be doors, and how the thing is skinned. My trailer has a single piece of aluminum skin on top, and as mentioned, the doors are not going to give it up on my trailer.

The other selling point for me was the use of real screws on everything. #2, #3, or square drives, but every screw is removable with a screwdriver/bit. I saw a lot of videos and posts here about screws that look like screws, but are not.

Good luck with your decisions, it's kinda fun and kinda terrifying.......

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby NO David! » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:55 am

Here's a couple on this board:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=63319&hilit=freedom+trailer

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=65313&p=1159991&hilit=freedom+trailer#p1159991

I think this build was based on a Freedom:
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=67019

Maybe reach out to those folks to get an idea of the manufacturer support?

Unless you go all aluminum or a Car Mate like Overthetop, I think the biggest concern is the manufacturer's willingness and ability to handle the custom order properly, and back it up after the sale. I'd use Cargo Craft again, except setup a way to double check the customization as it goes through the plant.
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions