Towing our CTCs

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Towing our CTCs

Postby NO David! » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:42 am

"working on it" posted an awesome post explaining towing in a nutshell, put in terms that even I could understand! It really needs a "sticky" note designation, so I've started the ball rolling by linking it in this new thread.

http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68291#p1202162

Most of us driving modern tow rigs, pulling relatively small CTCs don't have to worry much about torque ratings and gearing. Some of us (me) still drive old school iron, and it does make a difference what torque/horsepower/gearing you have, especially since we are generally trying to pull "barn doors" down the road, (yes even with a V-nose, look it up, a surprising added factor of drag is actually the back of our trailers)

I also recognize the popularity of the modern mid-size SUVs and our desire to tow using modern V-6 technology which far exceeds in power/torque/gearing what we had even in the early 2000s. In short, with proper decision making, trailer choice, and setup, we can achieve acceptable tow results. I find it funny that we in America seem to think if we don't have 1-ton, dual rear wheel, diesel power (which I admire), we can't tow anything. The rest of the world seems to think and demonstrate otherwise. Australia is a good example, they tow tandem axle off-road style campers (caravans) using mid-size 4WD SUVs all over the continent and never think twice about it.

So here's my question: I tow with a '95 Ford Van, 5.8L V-8 Windsor, E4OD 3-speed with overdrive, and 3.55 gearing. It does fine, but when hitting a slight grade, I sure would like to have an extra gear between 2 and Drive. I also lock out overdrive to prevent hunting of gears, and to keep my engine running near the max torque rating of 2,800 RPMs. It does pretty good and achieves this RPM right at ~ 62 mph. I can certainly run faster, but the wind resistance really kicks in at higher speeds and exponentially seems to destroy gas mileage.

My other vehicle is an '02 Mitsubishi Montero 4WD 3.5L SOHC V-6, (The full sized one, aka the frugal man's Land Cruiser). I've compared all the numbers, both vehicles have a tow rating that far exceeds my loaded trailer weight. Here's where it gets interesting, The Montero has 4.30 gears, a 5-speed Aisin select-shift transmission, and a curb weight about 1,000 lbs. less than my van. Torque? well there it is, the Montero gives up 90 ft. lbs. of torque to the van's old V-8. Now everything is relative, and the numbers I'm talking about pale in comparison to today's vehicles. My thoughts are, with all things between the two vehicles being equal power-wise, will the Montero's 4.30 gears, 5-speed transmission, and ~ 1,000 lbs. less weight overcome the loss of 90 ft lbs. of torque? I'd like to have the 4WD capability when towing, and when we get where we're going. The Montero also has all the factory accessory engine oil and transmission oil coolers designed for heavy duty use.

What say the CTC towing gurus?
NO David!
Teardrop Master

Re: Towing our CTCs

Postby dancam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:55 am

Power to weight ratio. Take total weight of vehicle and trailer both loaded and divide by foot pounds of torque.
If you can find dyno charts of both vehicles online that will tell you what your torque is at cruising speed in highest gear as well as 1 gear down

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Re: Towing our CTCs

Postby dancam » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:27 pm

Im planning to haul 4000 pounds loaded with a 63hp, 73ft pounds torque car.
Seems like a lot but its a much better power to weight ratio than the cat c-15 with 1850ft pounds hauling 140,000 pounds. I know how that drives through the mountains and sure it has 18 gears, but as long as i can stay above 20km/hr im in my peak torque range on the car and ill be fine. Its the same as the cat with 100,000 pounds which is a breeze through the mountains.

The montero sounds better but theres more to it. They sould both pull it if your trailer is under the tow ratings. Montero is better equipped to cool itself. I have a newer car with twice the power but it tows like garbage, overheats spectacularly, gets terrible gas milage, doesnt stop any faster and is uncomefortable and unenjoyable to drive with the same trailer

So for you- have you test towed with both? Which tows nicer? Which is more comefortsble, reliable, better on fuel, stops quicker, see out of better....

If the trailer is lighter than the tow rating on both i think it comes down more to these other factors than worrying about if it can or cant tow.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
dancam
500 Club

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions