New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:56 am

Updates!

I fixed some of the previous pictures by hosting on Imgur, some I didn't think were worth the effort.

Progress made. Got the stove and sink mounted. The stove top is in the process of being repainted, so it won't look so terrible as in the current pictures.

Got started on the electrical and getting everything mounted up. Don't judge the wiring yet, I will be cleaning it up and putting everything into loom when it's all ran.

I got the cabinet/bench built to house the furnace. I finally drilled the first holes in the outside of my trailer!!!! :shock: It was actually nowhere near as bad as I had anticipated. I've been working with metal for many years, but for some reason this seemed scary.

I also removed my original boat winch lift and replaced it with an electric unit to raise and lower the bed. BIG improvement.

I scrapped the plan to run the dorm fridge off of my inverter. I have been scrounging and digging for weeks and finally found an affordable 3 way fridge/cooler. It's a Dometic RC4000. I got it for $150. Coincidentally the same price as I purchased the dorm fridge. Since the dorm fridge was still brand new and unused (still had the plastic on it!) I was able to return it.

Soon to be happening:
-Run the gas lines. I didn't have a flaring tool until the other day, so now to plumb the propane appliances.

-Add a few more lights. You can't have too much light.

-Mount solar panel. This has been a bit of a conundrum.The trailer has a domed roof. Not impossible to work with, but not easy either. I toyed with the idea (and actually bought the hardware) to make the panel portable on some wheels so I could put the panel wherever when camp is set up. This idea also made a storage issue for the panel, and it's a 235w panel, so not the most portable of sizes. I've finally decided to mount the panel on the side of the trailer on hinges. I will simply prop the panel up when the trailer is parked. This for two reasons:
1. It's simple to do. It will be frame mounted and sturdy. It will latch in the closed position for transport. Eliminates domed roof problem.
2. Having the panel mounted vertically while in storage helps to eliminate the possibility of it getting destroyed. The weather around where I live is very conducive to hail damage (BIG BIG hail). We just had the lady's car totaled from a storm not three months ago (thank god my truck was not in the same area at the time).

-Get some sort of plumbing done. I've got a 9 gallon fresh water tank, now I need to figure something out for grey water. Also mount up the pump and get a faucet.

All in all, things are coming along nicely!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:14 am

Great work!
Jscwerve wrote: finally found an affordable 3 way fridge/cooler. It's a Dometic RC4000. I got it for $150
If that includes propane, that's the way to run it away from shore. 12V is not efficient, use only while driving, or off solar after your bank is fully charged.

Only the Danfoss/Engel style are efficient to run off solar 24x7.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:44 am

Oh yes. The plan is to run off of propane. From what I've read on them, they will run on propane for days on a 1lb cylinder. I will test this of course. Also, on 12v there is no adjustment to temperature, it just runs constantly. I've read about people's stuff freezing from running off of 12v. I think having 40lbs of propane in reserve will keep that fridge running for weeks if needed.

The only thing that needs to have sufficient charge for running in the trailer is the furnace. Even if for some reason the furnace uses up the 180Ah I have in batteries, I've got a back up Buddy Heater. Honestly I do not see it running constantly, nor do I see it using more than 30-40Ah a day. The last trip I took it was in the low 30s at night and the little Buddy heater had to be turned down to low after an hour because it was too warm in the trailer.

Worst case scenario is I piggy back off of my truck batteries in emergency situation. It's got two big ass batteries to turn over the diesel anyways.

Forced air heat? Cooking indoors without wind? A porta john? Real Mattress? When did I decided that I needed to be a glamper? :lol:
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:56 am

:applause: :applause:
Now that's what I like to see. Major upgrade with the reefer/net cost zero $$$ Bingo!
FYI, There are 2way rv reefers that require 12v 110v and propane. The 12v only operates the solenoids for the gas valves, not heating the ammonia, but the propane wont work without 12v. The 110v has a element to heat the ammonia. But heating ammonia with 12v element (3way) is not very efficient as John said. Just be sure which one you are using.
Very nice work.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:04 am

Ahh, didn't know there were fridges that required two of the three at the same time. I guess it makes sense though. Those are probably out of my "comfortable spending" range anyways!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby John61CT » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:46 am

For carrying lots of propane, undercarriage is the way to go, but can be pricey. Keep a lookout for aluminum forklift tanks cheap, mount horizontal carry a lot in a small space.

If you need the heat for long periods, consider saving up for Propex unit burns outside, much more efficient on both the propane and 12V.

Same with Webasto-style "parking heaters", but they burn your propulsion fuel, don't need to carry as much propane.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:22 am

Just one more piece of info to add to the confusion, I have a 2way Norcold Rv reefer. 12v/110v. It has a built in inverter and uses Freon/compressor, not ammonia. .4amp @110v, 3.5amp @12v. It runs 1min. on 10min. off. has a freezer and makes ice, keeps ice cream, (a must have) so .34amps@12v x 24hr = 8.39 ah/day. (3.5a /60m = .058a/m., 1m. on/10m. off= 6m. on /hr., .058a x 6 = .348a/hr., .348a x 24 = 8.35ah/day) Not bad and probably do-able on solar, we'll find out soon.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:30 am

John61CT wrote:For carrying lots of propane, undercarriage is the way to go, but can be pricey. Keep a lookout for aluminum forklift tanks cheap, mount horizontal carry a lot in a small space.

If you need the heat for long periods, consider saving up for Propex unit burns outside, much more efficient on both the propane and 12V.

Same with Webasto-style "parking heaters", but they burn your propulsion fuel, don't need to carry as much propane.

I cannot see myself going through two 20lb tanks of propane in a single trip, that would be a long time I think. Also, undercarriage mount is a no-no for me. I drag my trailer into some pretty sketchy places. I've drug the bottom of my trailers many times. You pretty much have to in able to get away from people here in Colorado.

Also, weight is a non-issue. I got the 10k chassis trailer for a reason. It is towed by a 3/4 ton diesel as well. I understand that concern for many on here, fortunately for myself, I bought the truck in anticipation of a fifth wheel double towing an ATV trailer. Plans changed, but I kept the truck!

PS, McDave, where are you at in MT? I grew up in Great Falls. Go CMR!!!!!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 11:56 am

Oh yeah? Great Falls, eh? Well I'm down in "Cowtown", Home of the World famous Bucking Horse Sale,(59301)... but I have a partner who grew up in Ft. Benton. We are all headed to Red Lodge for the Iron Horse Rodeo/ Beartooth rally this weekend. Hopefully a break from the heat down here, Friday calling for 106 here, 79 Red Lodge. May have to stay an extra day or two!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:24 pm

Sure gets hot out there on the plains!

I've actually only been back to MT once since high school and that was last year for my reunion. I think I just talked the better half into a Glacier Park road trip with the trailer though. She said "we should take a trip to Yellowstone", I replied with "have you ever heard of Glacier National Park?" and it went from there!

I certainly miss it.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 1:03 pm

:applause:
Excellent! Just try to plan it so you miss the crowds at Glacier. Before schools out or after the start of school year. Way less traffic = much more enjoyment. Keep in touch when going, may be able to rendezvous.

McDave

PS, Class of 66,76 or 86?
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:23 pm

96! :lol:
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:35 pm

Ha! That is funny! I forget how old we are. Time goes by fast, and faster. Wow!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:09 pm

McDave wrote:Oh yeah? Great Falls, eh? Well I'm down in "Cowtown", Home of the World famous Bucking Horse Sale,(59301)... but I have a partner who grew up in Ft. Benton. We are all headed to Red Lodge for the Iron Horse Rodeo/ Beartooth rally this weekend. Hopefully a break from the heat down here, Friday calling for 106 here, 79 Red Lodge. May have to stay an extra day or two!

McDave

Hey McDave,
How far are you from the Cheyenne Rez? I've got some extended family from there..

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:12 pm

McDave wrote:Ha! That is funny! I forget how old we are. Time goes by fast, and faster. Wow!

McDave

He's just a pup McDave. The better half reminds me of my age on a regular basis. There's a twelve year diff between us. ;)

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions