New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Postby John61CT » Thu May 11, 2017 9:14 am

UPS high-discharge battery, not designed for deep cycling.
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jscwerve » Thu May 11, 2017 10:35 am

John61CT wrote:UPS high-discharge battery, not designed for deep cycling.

You are correct, as the plan is to never actually "deep cycle" the batteries, they will do just fine until they are useless. For the price I paid for them, if they work for 1 year I'm way ahead of the game. The plan is of course to never go below 50%. These are however rated for up to (of course that could mean 2, lol) 300 100% discharge cycles. They will also accept a moderate rate of charge so I do not have to run a generator or my truck (built in inverter) to charge them back up very long.

As they are specifically designed to run inverters, they will perform just fine in the short term.

It's a stop-gap for now for the sake of saving $$.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby Vspec » Thu May 11, 2017 11:18 am

Jscwerve wrote:Image

Did push the foam insulation all the way against the roof skin or did you keep a gap?
Vspec
Teardrop Advisor

Postby Jscwerve » Thu May 11, 2017 11:31 am

Unfortunately there is not room for an air gap. The studs are only 1" thick. If the trailer loses too much heat then I will think about spacing it out somehow.

I'm used to elk camp in a canvas tent in the Colorado mountains in November with a buddy heater being plenty warm enough. I'm really not concerned (yet) about this set up freezing me out.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat May 13, 2017 12:41 pm

Hold the phone, hold the phone,
Now, lets talk about these batteries. Where can I get some? Just how good is this deal? C'mon, help a brother out.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:56 pm

A new score from the frugal camper builder!

Scored these two windows today for $20 a piece!! :FNP

I got a bit cold camping over Memorial day because although there are two small vents that are more than enough to run my buddy heater, I still didn't run it while I slept. Also because I forgot to install the CO2/smoke detector before I left.

I also wanted more than one point of emergency egress.

These have one side that cranks open and one side is emergency egress. They are roughly 24x48. They looked real rough, then I cleaned them up. Perfect. Install next weekend.

*PHOTO REMOVED DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET FAILURE*

Oh, McDave, the batteries were a Craigslist score.
Last edited by Jscwerve on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:56 pm

I like your style. Those look like some high dollar windows, plus the emergency egress.... well, that's priceless. So hell yes, there's about 500.00 that can be spent elsewhere. I'm tellin ya', most of my build was done just like that. From the trailer, WFCO power center, RV Fridge, Wet bath combo, 125av deep cycle, cabinets and doors, generator and rooftop 13500btu AC/heater, propane catalytic heater, Wool Rug and some other stuff. About 20-25% of retail. I'm right at 3500.00 including the trailer, and just installed a new 10 x 8 awning. I did opt for new freshwater tank and Black tank....Just couldn't fathom the thought of a used black tank. Plus the odds of finding something that might work for my application were astronomical. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it. In fact, I believe the black tank was the single largest purchase. Even my Screamin' Eagle Street Glide Harley I bought as a "distressed property". Long story, but suffice it to say Don't cheat on your wife with the babysitter.. or anyone else. just sayin'...
If you're not under some unrealistic timeline and keep your eyes and ears open for an opportunity, and have cash, Cash is King, you can have something real nice in a year or two. And let's keep in mind that anything with wheels is not a good investment or store for your wealth. I love toys, God knows I do. I currently have 9 registered vehicles, but they are not a good retirement plan. Unless you plan to live in them. I had several friends that worked in the Bakken oil field and they made some good money. And they had houses, and 75,000 dollar toy haulers, and 50,000 dollar Harleys and 90,000 dollar trucks, and to a man, every one of them is divorced, ass broke and bitter, pathetic middle aged losers since the oil boom went bust. They didn't have jack squat for savings and now it's all gone, and the they are still paying for crap they don't have any more.
Head shake, face palm, sigh....ugh.
On the bright side, I still have all my stuff and it's all still paid for. ... :D ...
Pride goeth before the fall....just sayin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:56 am

Jscwerve wrote:A new score from the frugal camper builder!

Scored these two windows today for $20 a piece!! :FNP

I got a bit cold camping over Memorial day because although there are two small vents that are more than enough to run my buddy heater, I still didn't run it while I slept. Also because I forgot to install the CO2/smoke detector before I left.

I also wanted more than one point of emergency egress.

Way to go! :applause: :applause:

I got a lot of the expensive stuff like the oven, water heater, windows, ladder, holding tanks, propane tank, dinette table base, and alot of the heavy gage wiring (stripped it out of the trailer), and many miscellaneous items from a donor camper that all I had to do was to remove it from the property. I had to spend some time refurbing and fixing as few things... but definitely a way to cut the costs from the build! I did spend some $$ on the solar power system. That was probably the single most expensive thing in total (aside from the CT of course)... but even on a store bought camper, all that would be done after the purchase.
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby flboy » Sun Jun 04, 2017 8:19 am

McDave wrote: I'm right at 3500.00 including the trailer, and just installed a new 10 x 8 awning.
McDave

That is awesome... you must be good at the wheeling and dealing! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Did you end up with an Aleko for the awning?
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:09 am

Cheapskate scores again this week!

I wish I had grabbed pictures, but I'll put some up later. This week's take so far:

1. 8' brand new laminate countertop + edge/end splash guard. $25 from some house flipper that had extra.
2. 4 trailer leveling jacks. Old school type, but the flip-down bolt on style. $10 (for all 4) from local FB classified group.
3. First solar panel. 235w Polycrystalline unit (brand new!). $135 from a local guy. :o He has tons more, so anyone local wants some, I'll give you his number.

Some people call me cheap. I like to think I'm frugal.

I've got so much work to do this weekend!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:11 am

Yes Sir! That is exactly the way it's done. That's not cheap, that is powerful. Making money is only half the job, you've got to manage it as well. Stretch every dollar, recycle and repurpose, do your homework, buy in bulk and be ready when opportunity knocks. Be debt free and operate from a position of power, and be willing to walk away. Someone asked me if in the end anybody's gonna remember or care if you paid too much. I told him, If you have to eat cat food at the end, YOU'LL REMEMBER....just sayin'

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Thu Jun 08, 2017 5:19 am

Hey Jscwerve,
What are the dimensions on those panels? Approx. weight? Zip code?
Thanks,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:55 am

Here is the info on the panel, The size isn't listed, but it's about 5'x4'. I'm sure the info is somewhere. You would have to call the guy and see if he's willing to ship. He's located in Denver. Here is is CL ad. https://denver.craigslist.org/for/6166665959.html

The stuff is legit.

235 watt Schuco Solar MPE-235-PS-09

Electrical Characteristics:
Pmp (W) 235
Pmpp (W) 204.1
Voc (V) 37.9
Isc (A) 8.27
Vmp (V) 29.8
Imp (A) 7.55
Panel Efficiency 13.7%
Fill Factor 73.8%
Power Tolerance 0.00% ~ 5.00%
Vmax (V) 600
Maximum Series Fuse Rating (A) 15
Mechanical Characteristics
Cell Type Polycrystalline Cell
Weight 20.0Kg (44.1 lbs)
Plug Connector MC-T4
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:30 am

Finally got the chance to get some work done this weekend.

First, scored a salvage propane forced air heater, stove top, and a water pump for the staggering price of $40. They don't look fancy, but they work.

I FINALLY found 1/8" plywood to skin the ceiling with. That was a bit of a challenge in itself, but whatever. It's finally skinned and I installed a few LED fixtures in the ceiling. Only after I started installing the lights did I realize that the six pack of lights that I bought are angled like a patio or wall light. I will replace them with something else later. Also overlooked the fact that although I can turn them off and on easily, the woman cant reach them by about a foot, so I have to install some lower switches. They are only about 8 feet high, I don't know what the problem is, lol.

Next I moved on to the cabinets. I picked up the cabinets cheap at the local Habitat for Humanity store. They are flimsy Ikea cabinets, but with bracing and shoring them up, they became plenty sturdy. I also started framing the end of the cabinets for the propane heater and a utility area in the v-nose of the trailer.

I screwed up the measurement of the counter length. I was so worried about getting the angle right, I forgot to calculate the extra length of the counter due to it being longer front to back than the cabinets. I got the angle perfect, the length however is about an inch short. I'm going to have to move the cabinets over an inch to seat the counter against the wall. :mad3:

I can't do any work for several days now because they are paving my street so I had to return the trailer to storage. I'll update again when I get some more stuff done.
Last edited by Jscwerve on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:48 am

Hey Jscwerve ,
Thanks for the info. ... :thumbsup: ...

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions