New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Postby Jscwerve » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:32 am

Hello all!

About two years ago the better half told me "I'm not sleeping in a tent ever again". So I've been camping solo since. The plan was to purchase a 5th wheel toy hauler when we found a great deal on one. Well, those things are apparently made out of unobtainium, because we were never able to find a decent deal.

I started looking into conversion and was sold. We don't need anything fancy, just a place that is dry, off the ground, will keep the lady warm, and can hold the toys.

I was shopping for a few weeks for a used trailer, but I could not find anything that was in decent shape for a decent price, so I decided to buy a new one. Here is the initial hook up a week and a half ago:
*PHOTO REMOVED DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET FAILURE*

It's a 8x16 trailer with upgraded axles and domed top made by H&H trailers.

I got right to work. Painted the floor the first chance I got with garage floor paint. I will have to be doing a few more coats though as the wood really soaked up the stuff. After the floor dried I moved directly on to insulating. Typical insulation job with rigid foam. I only had to remove the top portion of the sides and I was able to slide the insulation down into the lower part.

Unfortunately, the roof did not come skinned with ply, so that's something I will have to do. Insulated it anyways. With the domed roof, the insulation stays in very securely as it is held in by the extra length of the curve.

*SECTION REMOVED BECAUSE OF NO SENSE MADE AFTER PHOTOBUCKET FIASCO*

Next steps:
1. Bed. First priority. I was going to do a Murphy style, but after seeing some of the pulley systems, I thing that is the way to go. I'll be starting that project this weekend.
2. Electrical. I've bought lights and a 1500w inverter is on the way. I wasn't going to do any AC power, but a buddy of mine is a trucker and had the inverter laying around. So, free is good.
3. Cabinetry and potty closet. I'm not going to be doing a black water tank, but the lady insists on some privacy, so I will build a compartment just big enough to house the porta john. Bought a Thetford Curve for when going in the woods is not the best choice.
4. I will probably purchase a 2 burner stove top and tiny sink and build them into the counter I will be constructing in the v-nose portion of the trailer. Simple plumbing of a fresh and grey water tank as well. Nothing too large, probably only 14 gallons or so each.
5. Roof vent. Trailer did not come with one. I purchased one and will install it while working on other things.
6. Figure out how to insulate the front top portion of the trailer. It is a fiberglass "nose cap" and its curved oddly. Probably just insulate with the pink stuff when I put cabinets up.

I'm sure this list will grow exponentially.

Things I do not have to worry about:
-Weight. I made sure to buy a trailer with heavy axles. I'm good to 10.4k lbs total trailer weight.
-Towing. I bought my truck in anticipation of purchasing a 5th wheel. The diesel simply laughs at the trailer. The truck is also equipped with an upgraded 180amp alternator that should easily handle all of the trailer battery charging needs in addition to the trucks two big batteries.
-Fancy flooring. We know this is mainly to haul the toys in. Painted the floor just so it's easier to clean. We will probably get one of those outdoor patio rugs for when we get to camp.
-Fixing a trailer. I'm SO glad I bought a new trailer and didn't have a project before I started a project.

I'm certain I will have TONS of questions. I'm glad I found this website!

Happy Camping!!
Last edited by Jscwerve on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Re: New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Postby onehoser » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:59 am

congrats on your new trailer! lots of great help and info here
I am the wisest man alive, for i know one thing, and that is that i know nothing. (socrates)
onehoser
The 300 Club

Postby pokefrog » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:14 am

Building them is half of the fun.. enjoy..

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
pokefrog
Teardrop Builder

Postby Spotman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:10 pm

Happy wife, Happy life! Heard that a lot. Looking good.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
2018 Heartland Terry Classic V21
2018 Toyota Tundra DC
Spotman
500 Club

Postby John61CT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:00 pm

Very solid start sensible rationales for sound choices.

I like the rounded roof for MPG and style, but for me mounting solar might be trickier than flat. Also height? With a raising platform bed, and I'd need insulation on the floor. . .

No deal-breakers though, mind sharing the maker, model maybe cost?
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby low277 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:06 pm

Nice trailer! Looks like a H&H?
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby flboy » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:11 pm

Congratulations. That looks like a very nice trailer! Best of luck on your build! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:04 am

John61CT wrote:
No deal-breakers though, mind sharing the maker, model maybe cost?

It is pretty much the same as this one here, except white in color:

http://www.parkertrailers.com/default.asp?page=xNewInventoryDetail&id=2822602&p=3&vc=cargo&s=(Sort%20By)&d=D&t=new&vt=cargo%20trailer&year=2017&fr=xNewInventory

That's where I purchased it as well. The internet price is no where near what I actually paid, I think it was about 1k less than advertised. I also had a trade in of my old garbage ATV trailer which brought it down even more. The description is wrong as well with the GVWR of 7000, it's actually 10000 with the bigger axles.

As far as rounded roof, v-nose, etc for MPG, the thought never even came into my mind. It's a heavy trailer (2700lbs) being pulled by a heavy diesel. It's 7' tall at the corners and additional height with the rounded roof. I just wanted it big enough in case I go from ATVs to a SxS in the future.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jscwerve » Mon May 08, 2017 7:40 am

Got to do a bit of work this weekend! Now it is, at a bare minimum, able to be slept in.

Made the bed this weekend. It's 2x4 structure with OSB to support the mattress (not pictured). Rigged up a pulley system and winch to move it out of the way to load the ATVs. I was first planning to do a murphy style bed, but with the height required, the largest mattress I could have used is what is called an "RV queen" which is 60"x75". As I am 72" tall, unless my head was on the wall, that leaves my feet hanging off. So then next size is queen and a bed that raises up. Well if you are gonna go queen, might as well go king, right?

I bought a cheapo king mattress from Wally World. Plain ol spring mattress, 6" thick, only $130 shipped. Looking at it now, the price is even lower that it was two weeks ago. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Linenspa-6-inch-Innerspring-Mattress-in-a-Box-Multiple-Sizes/47961599

Anyways, here is what we all want. The pictures!

One of the changes that I will be making (probably today) is that I wouldn't have put the rollers on the ends. After raising it and lowering it a few times, they are kind of useless. Also I can see that if for some reason there is a good amount of lateral movement, it will force the wheels through the thin plywood. I'm either going to remove the wheels and put something solid there and larger that would distribute the weight, or a metal "track" of some sort. I just have to figure out how to attach the track to the thin plywood wall.

Up:

I wanted to have the vertical supports outside of the bed, not inside like they are. I could not figure out how to secure the 2x4s properly without a trailer wall stud. Also, because I'm paranoid I'll be putting some brackets under where the bed sits at its highest point to quickly attach and remove some 2x4s that span underneath the bed and I'll lower the weight of the bed onto for transport. I trust my structure absolutely, the hardware is a different story. I can imagine a pulley failure after some hours spend travelling down dirt roads. Its probably just paranoia, but better safe than sorry.

I'll update as I do more!
Last edited by Jscwerve on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Mon May 08, 2017 8:18 am

Nice work!

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon May 08, 2017 1:11 pm

:applause: :applause: :applause:
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
:D

Yes Sir!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Mon May 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Jscwerve, Howdy;

Me, I'm more into fixed furniture, but each to their own ...
Here's a page (or more), of ideas for "gliding" furniture around. Figure a way to keep the
https://www.lowes.com/pl/Furniture-slid ... 4294713224
gliders close to the walls and poof, ya gotta system ... no?

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue May 09, 2017 5:04 am

I don't have the vertical height (or need really) for a lift bed, however I am intrigued by them. Lots of different ways to make it happen, but I've always thought that you could build the system as a module, then install into trailer. Your frame and pulley system is similar to what I envision, but I was thinking 1in square tube. A person could build it, modify, work out the kinks in the shop, then just push it in the ramp door and bolt to the floor. Wouldn't really need wall studs. Remove for repairs or to multi-use the trailer.
Nice job though, congratulations.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Tue May 09, 2017 7:24 am

McDave wrote:I don't have the vertical height (or need really) for a lift bed, however I am intrigued by them. Lots of different ways to make it happen, but I've always thought that you could build the system as a module, then install into trailer. Your frame and pulley system is similar to what I envision, but I was thinking 1in square tube. A person could build it, modify, work out the kinks in the shop, then just push it in the ramp door and bolt to the floor. Wouldn't really need wall studs. Remove for repairs or to multi-use the trailer.
Nice job though, congratulations.

McDave

This is an AWESOME idea!

I probably wouldn't ever remove it, but it would get the lift frame outboard of the bed and be sturdy enough to not have to worry about anything. This may be the reason I replace the welder I had that took a crap a few years ago. Maybe making one out of metal will be V2.0.

I would also use different hardware. The pulleys I used are an 80lb "working" load each. The bed will probably be about that when I put the mattress on it. Divided by the 4 load bearing pulleys, that's really only 20lb working load. I have visions going through my head of the bed crashing down onto my ATVs while travelling down a dirt road or something. Having that paranoia, last night I installed 2x4 brackets that are at the apex of the beds height. Now the pulleys are only for lifting and lowering. When it's pulled all the way up, I put in spanning 2x4s underneath and let the weight of the bed onto them. It helps my piece of mind.

With a metal frame, you could integrate the pulleys into it in such a way that the cables run above the frame and through the square tube over a pulley. Then in case of pulley failure, the corner would drop less than an inch or so. The lynch pin for that system then becomes the cranking mechanism.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby Jscwerve » Thu May 11, 2017 7:26 am

Picked up these bad boys last night for a steal. I was going to just use Wally World wet cell deep cycles, but came across these. I was not planning on doing much in the way of electrical too soon, but a good friend gave me a brand new Tundra 1500w inverter from his OTR truck. He's rolling local now, so has no use for it. The only thing I will be running any time is a small dorm sized fridge. I don't think I'm going to have it all set up before memorial day though, can only spend so much at a time! The solar panels are going to have to wait about a month so it will be coolers for the maiden voyage. The only reason I grabbed the batteries was the deal I got couldn't wait. Oh ya, they are 90Ah each,

I'll start off with a 235w panel and a controller and expand from there.

Exciting stuff!

*PHOTO REMOVED DUE TO PHOTOBUCKET FAILURE*
Last edited by Jscwerve on Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions