New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: New toy hauler build 8x16 H&H

Postby m.colley » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Your build is coming along nice. Wish I had a place to score some of those salvage RV parts.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:43 pm

m.colley wrote:
Hey McDave,
How far are you from the Cheyenne Rez? I've got some extended family from there..

Martin

Oh, maybe 80-85 as the crow flies, 120ish on blacktop. Jimtown? Ashland?

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:54 pm

m.colley wrote: The better half reminds me of my age on a regular basis. There's a twelve year diff between us. ;)

Martin

Yep, I married a sweet young thing as well, but she doesn't seem to be ageing. Wonder what that means? 23 years with me has got to take a toll at some point. I know I'm killin' me.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:42 am

m.colley wrote:Your build is coming along nice. Wish I had a place to score some of those salvage RV parts.

Martin

It''s not really a place to score parts, it's the fact that I'm a cheapskate!! :lol:

It's more due diligence than anything else. I pretty much find everything on Craigslist. I do pretty extensive keyword searches to find what I want though. Not everyone describes things the same. For example, my latest find was my 3 way fridge. I've been looking for one for over two months, no luck until last weekend. So, every day I would do my search and I will basically search for all of these terms for the one thing I'm looking for,

3 way refrigerator
3 way fridge
three way refrigerator
three way fridge
rv fridge
rv refrigerator
camper fridge
camper refrigerator
portable fridge
etc, etc, etc

Somehow on the fridge I dug up an ad that was over a month old. I took a shot and the guy still had it. I can't believe I hadn't seen the ad before.

On a daily basis I go into the camp/RV section and search these terms:
salvage
parts
parting
used
scrap
rebuild

Just out of curiosity I just checked the Columbus Georgia Craigslist. Found all kinds of people parting out motorhomes and campers.

The deals are out there!!

As for a build update, didn't get too much done yesterday afternoon after work. I built and installed a coat/wet clothing/whatever rack. I also plumbed all of the hard copper line to the stove and heater for the propane. I did that in all flared copper. No pictures of that though, just one of the coat rack. :D

Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby m.colley » Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:06 pm

McDave wrote:
m.colley wrote:
Hey McDave,
How far are you from the Cheyenne Rez? I've got some extended family from there..

Martin

Oh, maybe 80-85 as the crow flies, 120ish on blacktop. Jimtown? Ashland?

McDave

Not really sure what town, just know that their on the Cheyenne Rez. 1/2 Chey & 1/2 Apache, thats one mean ass woman. Her hubby is full Apache. Met them at a rally & PowWow in Lawton OK, found out later that we're related by marriage. They travel and dance in competitions across the country on 2 wheels.

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:41 am

m.colley wrote:Not really sure what town, just know that their on the Cheyenne Rez. 1/2 Chey & 1/2 Apache, thats one mean ass woman. Her hubby is full Apache. Met them at a rally & PowWow in Lawton OK, found out later that we're related by marriage. They travel and dance in competitions across the country on 2 wheels.

Martin

Nice! Where I grew up in Albuquerque, they hold the Gathering of the Nations pow wow in Sept. I believe, also the Indian National's Rodeo. Those are some tough ass Cowboys. We have a wild horse race here during Bucking Horse Sale, and the Indian teams are hard to beat. 3 man teams, have to tackle a wild horse, and put a saddle on, then try to ride it around the 1/2 mile track. It's not as easy as it sounds.... just sayin'..

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:23 am

Howdy All;

McDave wrote:
m.colley wrote:Not really sure what town, just know that their on the Cheyenne Rez. 1/2 Chey & 1/2 Apache, thats one mean ass woman. Her hubby is full Apache. Met them at a rally & PowWow in Lawton OK, found out later that we're related by marriage. They travel and dance in competitions across the country on 2 wheels.

Martin

Nice! Where I grew up in Albuquerque, they hold the Gathering of the Nations pow wow in Sept. I believe, also the Indian National's Rodeo. Those are some tough ass Cowboys. We have a wild horse race here during Bucking Horse Sale, and the Indian teams are hard to beat. 3 man teams, have to tackle a wild horse, and put a saddle on, then try to ride it around the 1/2 mile track. It's not as easy as it sounds.... just sayin'..

McDave

Gathering of Nations was at the end of April, and they've moved from The Pit to Tingly Colosseum this year something about The Pit (UMN),
wanting more $'s.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby McDave » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:53 am

Jscwerve wrote:As for a build update, didn't get too much done yesterday afternoon after work. I built and installed a coat/wet clothing/whatever rack. I also plumbed all of the hard copper line to the stove and heater for the propane. I did that in all flared copper. No pictures of that though, just one of the coat rack. :D

I don't usually say this to a man, but... Nice Rack!

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby John61CT » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:03 am

Pointy bits look dangerous
John61CT
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby Jscwerve » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:07 am

Very minor progress.

Well, actually the only thing I took a picture of, the propane tanks finally mounted. I also did some more of the carpentry and rewiring while adding battery hold downs. I've realized that I need to pick up a battery disconnect for my inverter for my piece of mind. I just can't see leaving it hooked up all of the time, even if it's fused. I don't have anything that runs on 120v now anyways since ditching the dorm fridge.

I was missing a brass adapter for my regulator, so tonight will consist of hooking up the gas and leak testing all of the connections.

Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:30 am

You should have a battery disconnect inline in any case.

If your fridge has a compressor and can run from 12vdc or 110vac it has a built in inverter one way or the other to power it. No more or less complex circuitry, just bundled . Aside from that in any case, you mentioned the fridge can run off propane, so no compressor. Still a good idea to have the disconnect. Good call.

Your build is looking great! Nice work.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:10 am

The light at the end of the tunnel is becoming brighter!

Of course, it will probably never actually be finished, but I am at a point of usability that was the original goal of the build. After this weekend I will still have things to do like finish carpentry, adding more storage (have to figure out a way to easily store that damned EZ-up), and perhaps some real flooring down the road.

Some of yesterdays progress: Got my stainless braided propane hose in the mail and installed it. Leak tested all the propane line, and tested appliances. I do have one question for the experienced.
- Has anyone found an easier way to see the pilot light on an Atwood/Hydroflame (79/80 model)? I had to close up the entire trailer to pitch black so I could see the pilot through the miniscule hole.

With nervousness and excitement, I tested the furnace. The 30 year old beast fired right up without a hesitation!!! It kind of sucks testing a heater when it's 93 outside, but I'd rather test it now then when it's 15 out and find out it didn't work!

Stove is functional now, so I can make coffee. That's more for the safety of everyone else than anything. :lol:

I added light switches. The drill walked on my when I drilled one of the holes I guess. Doesn't look that crooked in real life. The bigger problem with this picture is the disparity in the battery voltage readings on the solar controller vs the inverter controller. My first guess is that the solar controller is wrong and I'm going to have to return it and buy a different one. I'll put my trusty Fluke on the batteries tonight and find out. My HOPE is that it's the inverter, then I really don't care as it is going to be seeing very little use, if any.

And, since I got the gas appliances running, I also installed the MOST IMPORTANT part of any trailer build I believe:

Weekend agenda:

-I have help coming over this afternoon to hang the solar panel.
-Install pump faucet and plumb fresh water tank (arriving today according to Amazon)
-Install battery disconnect and fuse in inverter line. (sidebar, I went to purchase a fuse holder from a local business instead of Amazon, they wanted $69 for the same fuse holder as I got online for $13 WITH the proper fuse)
-Sit back and marvel at my accomplishment for a minute.
-Start loading the trailer up for next weekends camping trip!!
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby flboy » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:36 am

If the inverter is running when you are looking at the meters, you may just be seeing the difference due to a voltage drop in the wiring, fuse and etc.. A digital multimeter can arbitrate what is correct, just measure at the input to each and check the drops.

Your trailer is looking great. Enjoy the maiden voyage and post pics! :-)

Edit. Just looked at the pic closer. Inverter is higher than charger. That is odd. Everything hooked up correct? In any case, the DMM can tell you which is correct as you already mentioned. Your looking for 400mV so check your grounds/connections and etc.. to make sure all is connected well.. It wouldn't take too much to throw that off. Hope you don't have to return anything. :-(

Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby Jscwerve » Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:50 am

flboy wrote: That is odd. Everything hooked up correct? In any case, the DMM can tell you which is correct as you already mentioned. Your looking for 400mV so check your grounds/connections and etc.. to make sure all is connected well.. It wouldn't take too much to throw that off. Hope you don't have to return anything. :-(

Yup, everything hooked up correctly. DMM readings confirm the culprit with the bad reading is the inverter, not the cheapo solar controller. Since the inverter was a freebee and I don't have anything currently that runs off of AC, I don't even care. I will have a small LCD TV in there, but I do not forsee that running for a few hours ever killing 200AH of battery because the voltage reading on the inverter shut off too late.

Anyways,

I have achieved this weekend what in the construction industry is known as "substantial completion". Which essentially means that the space is usable, but there are still finishes and tweaks that need to be completed. I got the faucet installed, Hung the solar panel, got the plumbing done, cleaned up all of the construction mess and sawdust, even made the bed.

Solar panel works great, I installed it on hinges on the side for previously listed reasons of the domed roof and massive hail damage potential where I live.

Yes, a more permanent solution to prop it up is in the works. It puts out some good juice. It charged my batteries up from weeks of here and there light and fan usage so fast, I didn't even notice.

It's amazing how simple it looks vs how much work it actually took to get it this condition. I guess there is a ton of behind the scenes stuff that isn't apparent like electrical, plumbing, etc. The floor mats are used/recycled mats from a company I found that takes these old commercial mats and recycles or resells them for cheap. I got 8 4x6 mats for <$50. They are great because they are resistant to everything and can be removed and washed in the driveway with a hose. Perfect for hauling dirty ATVs.

Even brought the bed down and made it in preparation for the upcoming trip this weekend. Yes, the fuzzy insulated Crocs are mine. Don't judge me. You have no idea how awesome those are on cold mornings in the mountains!

Not pictured are the trailers provisions. I have outfitted the it with the typical compliment of flatware, pots and pans, a french press (must have) and kettle for heating water, all of that good stuff. Also the plumbing. I am simply using a 5 gallon bucket for grey water that I can dump on the fire before bed every night.

Oh, I also scored a Fantastic Fan this weekend for $25!!!! :shock: So that is now on the agenda, but probably not this week.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:12 am

:applause: :applause: :applause:
:thumbsup: :D
That a boy! Progress in leaps and bounds. I like it!
You have really gone after the goals you had for this build and it is paying off. Pro-active resource management and aggressive bargain hunting pays off. Layer by layer the value of the project has outpaced the cost and market prices, allowing you to afford the higher end luxuries and upgrades. Outstanding work!
Making money and building wealth is only half the battle. Keeping that wealth and having the toys as well is the real challenge. When this project is finished it will be worth much more than the final tally. Everything above cost is equity, a unheard of term when talking toys with wheels. Everybody else starts losing the minute they dive it off the lot.

McDave

PS. I had my first taste of "Taco Treat" this weekend. It's really not bad. My friend from Ft. Benton has been bragging on it for years. Being from New Mexico, I was sceptical. They had a beautiful truck at the Rally. I must say, it was pretty good for Montana Mexican. That cinnamon frybread was awesome. Not what I grew up on , but really good.
McDave
Donating Member

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions