Want to replace axle

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Want to replace axle

Postby Rchr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:03 am

I have a 12 X 6 (single axle) enclosed trailer that I use to haul my Polaris Ranger / to camp (sleep in ). The tires get worn out on the inside of the tires and they look like /--\.
What axle should I get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rchr
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Want to replace axle

Postby swoody126 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:58 am

¿ ponderment ?

if both tires wear the same i would wonder if your axle was just installed upside down

many if not most 3500#(& heavier) axles are manufactured w/ a bit of arc that compensates for the load

the tire wear when running empty would be exactly the opposite of what you are describing

when loaded the slight arc levels/straightens out providing even wear & true tracking

like i said...

just a ponderment

sw
"we are the people our parents warned us about" jb
swoody126
500 Club

Postby Padilen » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:41 am

Axle can be "re arched"but time and cost may make replacement more sensible. And finding someplace that does this propably harder. But first check your springs and wheels are in good shape. If you have a Dexter axle they can sell you another or a customize one. Places like Tractor Supply carry some or you can order on line.
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby working on it » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:06 am

Having bent axles on two trailers, previously, I replaced them with new axles, and did not flip or re-arch them. Sometimes the negative camber can actually be from a spindle stub becoming bent or the weld letting go; I would never be 100% sure of the integrity of the axle, so a new one is my choice. And, go big. Get a replacement axle rated for higher loads than you can foresee, much higher. It can handle unforeseen circumstances that a lesser axle might not, at a justifiable cost in price and added unsprung weight.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rchr » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:59 pm

Ok, I understand about going with a bigger axle but what brand & from where?
Also is there anything i should avoid?

Rchr
Teardrop Inspector

Postby working on it » Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:08 pm

Rchr wrote:Ok, I understand about going with a bigger axle but what brand & from where?
Also is there anything i should avoid?

• Assuming that you are in South Texas (gleaned from your first post), I recommend Nuera in Houston (I bought my Dexter axle from Nuera in Dallas). If not in Houston, there are multiple dealers of trailer parts in most cities, and all can get axles made to order from manufacturing plants in Texas and Oklahoma. Dexter owns Rockwell American and Al-ko now, and Tie-down also, so the choice of axles is great.
  • I have used Rockwell-American on my car hauler, and went with Dexter on my TTT. The 3500lb axle (no camber) on my TTT was built to my specs in El Reno, OK, with brakes and EZ-Lube, and delivered to Nuera in Dallas in a week. The 3500lb(each) axles for my car hauler were made in nearby Royse City, and I bought them from stock, in Azle, near where I was re-building that trailer.
  • Either brand axle is well made, and incidental parts are stocked everywhere in multiple stores in Texas. I probably could've ordered from Redneck Trailer Supply, a nationwide distributor, with a branch eight miles from my home, but Nuera in Dallas promised early delivery, and I could pick-up there during my "lunchbreak".
  • If your springs & hangers are in good shape, just use new hardware when you re-install. And if you need more ground clearance, then specify that you want an overslung axle, using the same spring perch location as your original axle, but on the bottom of the axle. If you want to change your spring rate, now's the time to do it, too. Just be sure to use plenty of jackstands, and be careful. Good luck.
2013 HHRv "squareback/squaredrop", rugged, 4x8 TTT, 2225 lbs
  • *3500 lb Dexter EZ-Lube braked axle, 3000 lb.springs, active-progressive bumpstop suspension
  • *27 x 8.5-14LT AT tires (x 3) *Weight Distribution system for single-beam tongue
  • *100% LED's & GFCI outlets, 3x fans, AM/FM/CD/Aux. *A/C & heat, Optima AGM, inverter & charger(s)
  • *extended-run, on-board, 2500w generator *Coleman dual-fuel stove & lantern, Ikea grill, vintage skillet
  • *zinc/stainless front & side racks *98"L x 6" diameter rod & reel carrier tube on roof
working on it
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Rchr » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:12 pm

Thanks, yea I am in south Texas.

I'm gonna go and get an axle from them in Houston.

Rchr
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions