Side door maintenance

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Side door maintenance

Postby jeffjeeptj » Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:05 am

The factory side door has deteriorated due to water. I suspect the aluminum channel surround has allowed water entry and collection at the bottom. There has been some chemical reaction, where the lower portion of the outer aluminum skin has grown "blisters" and perforated. When I removed the alum channel and looked behind the skin, the wood was rotting. So,
I am building a new door using Advantex, a sub floor OSB material that is very water resistant. It is a sheet I had in my "spares" inventory, so cost is low, and if it does not work out, just a bit of my time. I cut, glued and screwed two pieces together to achieve the thickness and dado'd a relief into the inside edge so the alum channel will fit. Will seal the alum channel better than factory did, and drill a couple of drain holes in the lower piece.
No one local has replacement tin for the door covering, so for short term, i will be painting the door to match the black outer skin. I will not be putting a window into the door, and will be using a diffenent door latch (a Vintage Trailer Supply canned ham latch) so we can open the door from the inside.

thoughts?
Attachments
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0430.JPG (926.83 KiB) Viewed 651 times
jeffjeeptj
Teardrop Inspector

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions