Wall attachment

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Wall attachment

Postby Jscwerve » Fri May 05, 2017 11:33 am

How are folks going about attaching things to the trailer walls? Like hanging cabinets and such.

I'm going to be building a cable/pulley bed this weekend like the one in the video in the other thread. I'll have rails or 2x4s going up the walls and across, but how are they secured to the trailer walls? I'm contemplating drilling and tapping the studs with 1/4-20 bolts or something. It doesn't seem like sheet metal screws would do a good enough job.

Please help educate me.
Jscwerve
Teardrop Builder

Re: Wall attachment

Postby ffemtp » Fri May 05, 2017 5:20 pm

I used self-tapping screws. I predrill the ribs of the trailer and then screw them in place. I understand what you are saying about a lack of strength, but I have not had a problem thus far. I also use other methods (like supporting underneath) where possible. For example, in hanging a custom made cabinet, I am running a 3" base along the perimeter all the way around the bottom. This cabinet is filling the "V" of my trailer so it will look fine especially when it is trimmed out. Other, lighter cabinets are being held by multiple self-tapping screws.
ffemtp
Teardrop Builder

Re: Wall attachment

Postby Padilen » Fri May 05, 2017 7:17 pm

My loft/lift bed I drilled and tapped with 1/4 -28 (fine thread). On the loft lift bed I built for my friends I used self drilling screws. That was a lot easier but cost 2-3 times more than 1/4" bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions