Insulation 165°F Maximum Service Temperature

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: Insulation 165°F Maximum Service Temperature

Postby wtcreaux » Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 pm

featherliteCT1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I think I will paint the trailer roof with Henry’s paint the first thing I do, before I start insulating the interior. I think it will make it cooler inside the trailer as I work. The trailer will be sitting outside in the sun as I work … at least until I get a carport.

The easiest way I found was to power wash the roof to get the dust and pollen off. Scrape off all residue (glue, bird crap, etc). Power wash again. Once dry (it can be damp), pour the paint straight from the can onto the roof and use a roller to spread around. Use linear strokes. Let dry, then apply another coat, this one perpendicular to first coat. Same mechanics.

It was cheaper for me to buy the 5-gallon bucket, for a 6x12 with V-nose. I put 4 coats on and had ~ ½ bucket left.
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:36 am

wtcreaux wrote:
featherliteCT1 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. I think I will paint the trailer roof with Henry’s paint the first thing I do, before I start insulating the interior. I think it will make it cooler inside the trailer as I work. The trailer will be sitting outside in the sun as I work … at least until I get a carport.

The easiest way I found was to power wash the roof to get the dust and pollen off. Scrape off all residue (glue, bird crap, etc). Power wash again. Once dry (it can be damp), pour the paint straight from the can onto the roof and use a roller to spread around. Use linear strokes. Let dry, then apply another coat, this one perpendicular to first coat. Same mechanics.

It was cheaper for me to buy the 5-gallon bucket, for a 6x12 with V-nose. I put 4 coats on and had ~ ½ bucket left.

Thanks, I appreciate all the advice I can get. I am also thinking that I might be able to lay down a piece of plywood on the roof to provide support so that I can stand on the roof to apply the coating. My roof bows are on 16" centers. The roof bows, being aluminum, are only 1/8 inch thick and are what are called "top hat" style ... formed into a U shape, with the open part of the U oriented towards the roof skin. Eventually, as I figure out how to post things on this site, I will post photos of the rig.
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Mon May 08, 2017 5:28 pm

Yep, gotta have that plywood. And an extension pole for the roller.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon May 08, 2017 8:08 pm

McDave wrote:Yep, gotta have that plywood. And an extension pole for the roller.

McDave

Thanks for the reminder about the extension pole!

It just so happens that I already have two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood, already cut, each 8 feet long and 2 feet wide.
I measured the interior roof bow spacing and then transposed marks with a black marker onto the top of the exterior of the roof so that I can see where the roof bows are. That aluminum skin is very thin. I do not want to step between the bows and make the skin bend concave which would cause water puddling.

I think I will first paint the entire perimeter about six inches wide with a paint brush. I have an awning bolted on the curbside roof edge and do not want to dribble paint onto it or down the sides. Then I will start applying the coating at the rear end with a 3/4 inch knap paint roller (with an extension handle!), coating from driver’s side to curb side, and work my way back towards the front to the V nose. Probably ought to buy an extra roller to use to paint the second coat. Don’t want to risk washing the first roller and not having it dry by the time I need to apply the second coat.

Which reminds me, I will need to either shorten my planks or cut a couple of more planks that are shorter. Otherwise, as I slide the long planks back as I paint, the long planks would hang too far over the front of the trailer and flip off. I think I will cut more short planks and keep my 8 footers because they will make it really easy to apply both coats at the rear end.
Today I bought 4.75 gallons of Henry 587 from Home Depot. I had to drive 50 miles each way to get to the closest store that sells the stuff. There is a chance of rain predicted for almost every day for the next 7 days here in southern Indiana.

The instructions for the Henry 587 say:

1. After washing (with TSP soap), allow roof to dry completely before application.
2. Surface may be dry or slightly damp, but not wet.
3. Do not apply if rain or temperatures below 50° f (10° c) are expected within 12 hours.
4. Apply on a sunny day when roof surface is warm to the touch.
5. If the roof surface is too hot to touch >140°, it is too hot to coat.
6. Apply second coat when the first is dry, preferably on the same day.
7. Allow to dry fully between coats.

However, the instructions do not say how long to let the first coat dry before applying the second coat. I guess I will have to watch it dry and keep touching it periodically to see how hard it gets. I do not want to put the planks on top of a gooey first coat and wreck the job.

Geez, and all this has to be done in one day. Who knows how long it will take for the weather to cooperate so that I can stick with the seven instructions; all on a time table consistent with my work schedule. Not complainin … just sayin!
Again, thanks for the help!
Ron
featherliteCT1
1000 Club
1000 Club

Postby McDave » Tue May 09, 2017 12:59 am

It sounds hairy, but it's a piece of cake. It'll dry almost before you are ready to get back up there. 6x12 is a small area.
You could clean the roof and mask off the night before if you have a carport or garage, then move out into sun and get busy. It'll be over before you know it.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby wtcreaux » Tue May 09, 2017 5:00 pm

I did mine as an after-fact. So my ceiling already had 2" of insulation AND the furring strips AND the Luan ply ceiling. Made it easy crawling on the roof.

Don't worry about trying to get it done in one day. It dries pretty quick, especially if in the sun.
wtcreaux
Teardrop Master

Postby McDave » Tue May 09, 2017 6:40 pm

Come to think of it, I barely was on the roof. I used a step ladder and the extension pole for most of it. But I did use a roller pan cause I was trying to be precise about using the same amount for both coats. Don't worry about that, eyeball about half and spread it. let it dry and repeat. You should have plenty, 1gal =100sq ftx2 coats, 6x12=72 ft. ish.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions