CT towing sway??

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

CT towing sway??

Postby tradarcher69 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:24 am

I am going to order my CT shortly, and I have a concern about trailer sway. I'm getting a 7x12 single axle v-nose. I will be towing it with a full sixe PU. I'm going to keep it simple inside. The bed will be across the back and it will be a twin with a frame made of 2x4's. All other items inside will be above or forward of axle. Most weight will be in the v-nose with shelf, portable a/c and dorm style frig. I've searched and read past post on here of trailer sway and understand the principles of weight forward. I currently camp with a pop up, tow a fishing boat, so I'm used to towing. So I'm hoping to hear from people with similar CT's on how their trailer does on the highway. I'll usually drive between 55 and 60MPH when towing. My question is with the bed and frame across the back, will this small weight affect towing or cause trailer to sway.?? As I said before, all other items will be above or forward of axle. Thanks again.
tradarcher69
Teardrop Inspector

Re: CT towing sway??

Postby flboy » Sun May 07, 2017 7:51 am

The trailer sway as you know will vary depending on how balanced the load is in the CT. More weight behind the axles tends to create more sway. Too much weight up front can limit front wheel braking and handling on the tow vehicle. I have a 7*18 with a 2ft. V nose. It is a lot heavier now that I have built it out and with 64 gallons of fresh water, motorcycles and etc., I decided to go with a load balancing hitch and anti-sway bars. You can get these relatively inexpensively if you shop around. I can tell you, they made a huge difference in the handling and stability. You can't go wrong with that.

My trailer is 7.5ft tall also, so the side wind profile is larger. The sway bar and hitch again made a big difference when there are high cross winds. I can drive with confidence, whereas before, it was a "white knuckle" job. Highly recommended. At 65 to 70mph on the highway it is rock steady. The setup also improved the "pull and sway" caused by semi trucks passing by. It really does work. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Re: CT towing sway??

Postby Padilen » Sun May 07, 2017 11:35 am

I have a 7x12-7' v nose single. I haven't towed it on expressway -70mph. But I have towed it on the highway@55-60. Loaded unloaded and it's stable. Not sure about windy days at those speeds. I'd test your rig then add if needed, load control, hitch bars, then sway. I have my moms weight control hitch and bars, if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

CT towing sway??

Postby firemansd19 » Sun May 07, 2017 6:26 pm

I have a 7' x 14' x 6.6' with a single axle, flat front. I am building my set up like u have described. I will have cabinets, battery, freshwater tank, and generator up front. I do t have the anti-sway receiver. I do have airbags on my tv that make a big diff. I will definitely keep u updated.

Beginner looking for advise

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?share_ ... are_type=t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
firemansd19
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions