Another Insulation Question...

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Another Insulation Question...

Postby DirtyD1833 » Sun May 07, 2017 12:42 pm

Replacement trailer should be here tomorrow and as I plan this one out, a thought occurred to me. Why pull the plywood down to insulate? Couldn't you put the insulation over the plywood? Just sandwich it between the plywood wall and some bead board. Air gap between trailer skin and wall insulation and bead board, why wouldn't this work?
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Re: Another Insulation Question...

Postby Padilen » Sun May 07, 2017 3:21 pm

I don't know why it wouldn't work. I don't know if moisture would build up in the gap. I know why I didn't do this. Space loss, and door would be recessed. "Skin" would need to get reinforced for windows and things like power cord hook ups. Some may already do this, I didn't. The gap can be a place if unwanted pests invade, to live in noticed. Mounting shelves, walls cabinets could be difficult to find "studs". And I mounted mostly to them. I also only had the "white board" to thin to mount to. All things that can be addressed.
Do it !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Re: Another Insulation Question...

Postby DirtyD1833 » Sun May 07, 2017 3:49 pm

Think I am going to, this one is 8.5 wide, so not TOO concerned about losing a couple inches on the inside. The walls shipped from the factory are 3/8 ply, so shouldn't have to find studs for most of what I will mount. Ordered with window already installed and should be able to trim around the 3/4 to 1 inch difference around the door and window using quarter round. I figure I will still seal up at the top and bottom, but this will be MUCH faster and easier since cargo-mate uses those funny nail/screw things to fasten walls to studs.
DirtyD1833
Teardrop Advisor

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions