solar panel safety

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: solar panel safety

Postby McDave » Mon May 08, 2017 5:03 pm

Those curves are a constant obstacle. I'm not sure if there is really any aerodynamic advantage or if it just aids in assembly and is cheaper to manufacture. It takes considerable accuracy to make right angles meet precisely and then the whole roof/wall seam sealing issue and ponding concerns. By rounding off and overlapping a lot of that goes away, but then you have to put the "square peg" in the "round hole" all the time.
Ladder racks with a complimentary curve cut into the crossbar would seem to be one solution, or segment the curve into 2-3 angles the width of the panels. Like an octagon for example. Could work to your advantage as Sun tracks across the sky?
Just brainstorming, as I have to deal with same issues.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Esteban » Mon May 08, 2017 5:34 pm

Steve - SLO, CA
Esteban
Donating Member

Postby Kaz » Mon May 08, 2017 6:47 pm

I just prop mine up on a custom 1 legged support on the ground. I have a 20' cable with some 30amp male/female (anderson?) color coded connectors. Just smaller than my 50amp battery disconnect. I can move it to chase the sun. Pack it in an easel case and toss it on the mattress when mobile.
Kaz
Kaz
Silver Donating Member

Postby tanukihimself » Mon May 08, 2017 8:38 pm

thats about what im gone do, but what about when i leave my camper to go to work or something and need to leave the panels charging? Guess i just have to get friendly with the neighbors or not have any neighbors. I will be living in this CT and not be able to always be out on the boonies, or else i would always be in the boonies
tanukihimself
Teardrop Builder

Postby Shadow Catcher » Mon May 08, 2017 8:51 pm

I am sorry I do not remember the specific 3M number, the engineer gave me the tape ID and the area I needed on the mounts for the anticipated wind load. The mounts are hollow and I trimmed the tape so every square inch was covered and with the tape. It has passed the test of time and wind.
I did not consider extending the long pieces (23") down the leading edge. You want the solar panel as cool as you can get it, and I wanted the area under the panel not adding to the heat load inside the trailer.
Shadow Catcher
Donating Member

Postby lrrowe » Mon May 08, 2017 9:36 pm

Shadow Catcher wrote:I am sorry I do not remember the specific 3M number, the engineer gave me the tape ID and the area I needed on the mounts for the anticipated wind load. The mounts are hollow and I trimmed the tape so every square inch was covered and with the tape. It has passed the test of time and wind.
I did not consider extending the long pieces (23") down the leading edge. You want the solar panel as cool as you can get it, and I wanted the area under the panel not adding to the heat load inside the trailer.

I did think about the fact that blocking the whole front edge could reduce air flow. That certainly could be a good reason not to do it.
Bob

First Post on Purchase of Trailer: http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=60722
Hot water infloor and radiator heating project:[url]http://www.tnttt.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=54&t=62327[/

Image Image
lrrowe
Donating Member

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions