Re: 7x16x6.5 Featherlite Build

Postby featherliteCT1 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:27 pm

Thanks Hank :D
featherliteCT1
The 300 Club

Postby McDave » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:05 am

Hey Featherlite,
I think you are on to something here. I can see some advantages to having the battery/solar bank in the tow vehicle. Weight distribution, access to the batteries and panels, mobile power station that could power other needs or trailers, and the fact that you could in theory park the truck in the sun and the trailer in the shade could be a boon. I tow with a 3/4 ton van so it is similar in shape to your truck w/topper. I have been considering a "wing" to deflect the air over the trailer and some sort of vortices generator to break the suction at the ramp door when towing. If you can get the same effect via tilting the panel, that's a two fer!
Nice work Mister. You have given me something to consider when I add solar to my unit. (soon I hope)

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby featherliteCT1 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:27 pm

McDave,

I have benefitted from the advantages you listed, especially with no need to take up space in the trailer and the ability to park the trailer in the shade with the truck in the sun.

I made a 20 feet long “extension cord” out of 2 AWG wire with Anderson plugs on each end to connect the truck to the trailer. I bought a 20 feet long set of jumper cables for $20 at Rural King to source the 2 AWG wire, which equates to a cost of $.50 per foot. The wire is copper with an aluminum cladding with the effect that the wire is probably equivalent to about a 3 AWG pure copper wire. At the amps I draw (no more than 10 amps), I experience negligible voltage drop. I suspect I could even go up to 40 feet with acceptable voltage drops (say 2%).
featherliteCT1
The 300 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:40 pm

When it rains I cannot open my slider windows so I fabricated two rain covers out of scrap 1/4” plywood as prototypes to see if they will keep the rain out while still allowing sufficient air intake. The opening at the bottom of each cover is 4”x ”28”= 112 sq. inches of opening.

I slapped on some oil based paint I had laying around to make the covers halfway presentable and to protect the wood.

I attached an aluminum angle above each window with 3m VHB tape so that the angle is removable without marring the skin of the trailer. I laid a bead of silicone caulk at the top seam where the angle meets the skin hoping to prevent water from possibly degrading the VHB tape.

I attached an eyehook at each end of the angles and on each side of the covers.

I laid a bead of clear silicone caulk around the edges of the covers that make contact with the skin to prevent marring the skin.

A turnbuckle hooked to each end of the cover and to each end of the angle holds the box up tight under the angle or alternatively, allows creation of a slope to shed water to the front or rear of the trailer, depending upon wind direction.

It is supposed to rain tonight with 20pmh winds so I might sleep in the trailer tonight to test how these covers work.

I used 6 screws to make each cover which will enable me to take the covers apart and store them flat. I suspect it will only take about 5 minutes to assemble and install, likewise to remove and disassemble, give or take a minute or two.

I am hoping that my Maxx Air fan will exhaust out strong enough to prevent rain from entering through that roof vent.
Below are pics.

Rain cover Box side.jpeg
Rain cover Box side.jpeg (306.38 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Rain Cover Box bottom.jpeg
Rain Cover Box bottom.jpeg (330.8 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Rain Cover Box front.jpeg
Rain Cover Box front.jpeg (285.68 KiB) Viewed 143 times
Last edited by featherliteCT1 on Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
featherliteCT1
The 300 Club

Postby featherliteCT1 » Mon Jul 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Here is a pic showing where I wedged some wood braces up against the angle to put pressure on the VHB tape to increase adhesion as the tape cured. I parked my trailer close to my barn so I could use the barn wall as a base to push from. The skin was fairly hot so I think it will adhere well enough for the intended use.
Rain Cover Box brace.jpeg
Rain Cover Box brace.jpeg (71.04 KiB) Viewed 142 times
featherliteCT1
The 300 Club

Previous

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions