Different ways of installing holding tanks

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Different ways of installing holding tanks

Postby m.glisson003 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:34 pm

Greetings all!

For the last few days I've been searching the internet and this forum for different ways to mount holding tanks in our Cargo Trailer Conversions. I've came across several different methods used, some illustrated and described well and others not so much. I've found that even with using multiple search querys [Combination of...Holding, Tank, Mount, Install] its hard for one to track down good sources. My goal here is to create a thread specifically for different methods of mounting tanks so that people can share their ideas with everyone in one convenient location.

Please share the methods you've came across and used with your builds. Thanks!
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Re: Different ways of installing holding tanks

Postby m.glisson003 » Tue May 16, 2017 4:48 pm

I came across this video. It looks like a good method. He basically cut out the floor the same thickness as the lip on the tank so it sits flush with the floor. The only disadvantage I can see is if you need to remove the tank you need to remove whatever is above it instead of dropping it out the bottom.
Attachments
Holding tank.PNG
Holding tank.PNG (646.34 KiB) Viewed 4083 times
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Tue May 16, 2017 6:12 pm

Some of the TT I scraped were this way. Others just a hole- some not even round for the stool mount. Plumbers helper from/to frame members. Maybe a screw in each corner. And almost all had the drain ripped off and repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Padilen
Donating Member

Postby troubleScottie » Tue May 16, 2017 6:24 pm

From a design perspective, there are a couple of issues.

First is ground clearance. How low does the tank ride ( including any support rails and underlayment eg plywood between the rail under the tank to support the tank -- may be over engineering here ) Also consider what happens as the trailer goes up and down a driveway/hill. Tanks at the very front or very rear are more likely to contact the ground.

Second access to fill the tank and appropriate traps as needed.

Third access to empty/flush the tank. Typical holding tank output hoses have 3" lines. Also if you have grey and black water tanks, people often add drain the grey through the black tank along with a drain without going through the black water tank. The grey water is a first rinse for the black water tank. Again maybe over engineering. You want to be able to reach the values and the end of the pipe without too much struggle.

Fourth is venting. Not sure on the rules -- but you need to get air in when draining and air out when filling.

Fifth is weight distribution. The tanks may be empty or full while driving. Need to consider to center or not and how the trailer will handle with empty or full tank, how it affects hitch weight, etc. At 8lb/gal, this can affect things.
Michael Krolewski
Scottish Terrier Fancier
troubleScottie
Donating Member

Postby m.glisson003 » Tue May 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Padilen - Good to know. Do you think the method shown in the picture above is better than installing under the floor for that little bit of extra clearance and safety reasons? I've seen people weld L brackets to their joists for the lip to sit on. But then its an inch or two lower and you lose some width with the lip holding part of the L.

troubleScottie - Great advice thanks!
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby Padilen » Tue May 16, 2017 9:09 pm

It's not better nor worse. Just another possibility for some people. Guess I'd figure what I wanted, what would work/fit. Then I'd look at my options for mounting. My shower/toilet tank combo isn't orientated the way I planned. But it's the way the drain would clear frame members. Actually may have worked out for the better, as my drain valve is tucked up behind A frame of tongue.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Tue May 16, 2017 11:36 pm

Here ya go, the real deal from manufacture.
http://www.ameri-kart.com/Documents/rot ... _tank.aspx

And a pic or two of how I did it.

I'm not really a "by the book" kinda guy...just sayin'

McDave

Edit: This is a rotational molded style, here's the specs.
http://www.ameri-kart.com/getattachment ... /H086.aspx
Last edited by McDave on Wed May 17, 2017 5:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
McDave
Donating Member

Postby McDave » Wed May 17, 2017 5:49 am

McDave
Donating Member

Postby m.glisson003 » Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm

McDave - Thanks for the helpful links and pictures! VERY helpful!

How did you mount the L brackets to the frame?
Screwed or bolted to the frame?
Is it just secured on the ends?
How thick of a gauge is the metal?
Do you have any other supports other than the two L brackets?
So you have a 29 gallon tank. Is that for black or grey water?
How often do you find you have to empty it?
m.glisson003
Teardrop Builder

Postby McDave » Thu May 18, 2017 5:10 am

Hey m.glisson003,
The side you can't see is welded to the frame member you see behind the tank. You can't see it because I had to cut it a little shorter to allow for the diagonal frame member at the end of the tank. The piece you can see is bolted with two bolts each end, offset, into the frame at the ends of the supports. The tank almost goes wall to wall, as it is a 6' wide trailer. That angle is like 1/8", so 14g I guess? Part of the reason it's mounted that way is the dimension of the mounting "lip" was exactly the same as the floor to frame rail dimension. Very handy. Also, you can remove one rail and access the tank if (Heaven forbid) the need arises.
No other support needed as the weight is dispersed and carried over a long distance x 2. It is very solid. I put stop blocks at the ends to limit any lateral movement. Also, I added some 1" weatherstrip used for sealing metal roofing on the top around the perimeter and down the center to prevent movement and chaffing. It's compressed down to 1/8 or less. I had it laying around so I figured why not?
I originally intended to use it as combo black/grey, and still do somewhat but I installed a diverter valve on the shower drain and can drain that to the ground when boondocking, saving capacity for the other stuff. My fresh tank is 25gal so that should prevent any unwanted "overages". I've never come close to filling it really. I don't spend a lot of time at camp, mostly just sleep and AM showers. My wife is showing more interest in going to the bike rally's with me, so we'll see how it holds up. I was at Sturgis for 9 days and nights last year and I would guess tank was 1/2 to 3/4 full. I always start with 2-3gal of clean water and the blue stuff. I have a flushing/rinsing gate valve that is very handy to rinse tank thoroughly and also rinses the drain hose very well. Gotta have one of those.
So that's just about all the poop on poop tanks I can give ya.
Good luck,

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby Padilen » Thu May 18, 2017 5:41 am

Too funny McDave!
Interesting that I read in your link not to use liquid soap or detergent in them as it can cause stress cracks. No such warning came with my Ameri-Kart. But then it didn't come with any directions just one warning label on the shower pan about abrasive cleansers.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby AnthonyH » Sat May 20, 2017 11:35 am

Here is how I did it. Post #48 http://tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=66187

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions