Build thread for "Lost in the Woods" Cargo Conversion

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Build thread for "Lost in the Woods" Cargo Conversion

Postby kaloogle » Sat May 20, 2017 10:13 am

Hey everyone, we ordered a Look Element 7X16 trailer a couple weeks ago. We still have a few weeks to wait before it is ready to be picked up but wanted to start a build thread. It has 6 inch tube frame on 16 centers, 16 center Z channel side walls, and 24 center roof. Floor is 3/4 and walls are 3/8 inch plywood. We also ordered it with 2 roof vents, one with additional support for a roof AC if we ever decide to add one, 2 15X30 windows, 12" extended tongue, screen door, V nose, awning rails over the back and right side, and rear stabilizing jacks. It is white with barn doors.

The tow vehicle is a 04 Silverado 1500, ordered the break controller today.

We also ordered a PD-4045 based on reviews here and amazon. We will use DC lighting inside with USB outlets for electronics and an extra car battery to start. For AC, the plan is to put in a window AC, small fridge in the future when connected to shore power. I'd like to add solar power in the future, but most of our camping is at state parks with power. We are prob going to order a hatch for the floor and just pull a 30 amp shore power cable from there. I'm also thinking of just using a short pigtail out of the bottom of the trailer and hooking the shore power cord to that.

We are planning a work area with counter up front with a 1/2 wall to section off part of the V for a bathroom, just a porta potty. The work area will have the PD-4045 in it, car radio/speakers, small flat panel TV with USB input for rainy days. Have husband and wife with a 8, 5, and almost 2 year old kids.

Plan is to have a rear galley, with a false wall including an access hatch that we can take out to load a canoe inside the trailer for transport. We will see how well that works out..... A window AC will go in the false wall, when using the AC, will use the hatch to seal in the cold air. Plan to cook outside of the camper.

We have some plans, but also know that plans will change as we see what will work for us. First thing is to get it insulated, add a tongue box for the battery and propane, install the power/led lights, load up some cots, and then go camping.
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Re: Build thread for "Lost in the Woods" Cargo Conversion

Postby jr9744 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:44 am

Sounds like your off to a good start.

I also just purchased a 7x7x16 v nose trailer and am waiting for it to be ready (June 3). As I wait, i've been building the systems I want and trying to learn as much as you can.

So far, this is what i've bought:

Progressive PD4045KV AC/DC Load center.
110 V Outlets off amazon
Shurflo 4008 Water Pump, Shurflo 182-200 Accumulator, and Shurflo 255 filter
Renogy 200 Watt Solar Kit with 40a Rover MPPT Charge (I already have 1 100W Renogy Panel)
Ecotemp FVI-12 Propane Tankless Water heater for the shower

I think these are the main components. I'm reluctant to buy the water tanks or toilet or anything else until I can actually measure the inside of the trailer and get the actual dimensions. I'm also still researching batteries to see what will be my best bet. Seems like 6v golf cart seems like a good choice due to the amp hours.

I look forward to seeing your progress and what/why you buy certain things. I'll do the same and plan to start a new thread once I get the trailer.

Good luck to you!!
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby hankaye » Sat May 20, 2017 6:43 pm

jr9744, Howdy;

You'll like the 6v golf cart batteries. They are designed for the multiple amount of re-charges
and discharges that will occur while they are installed. Be sure you get 2 that were made
on the same day or close to that. Kind of like avoiding using a new flash light battery with an
older one. The older will suck the charge out of the new one and give you grief from the get-go.

You both appear to have done your homework, good on ya. Looking forward to seeing the pix
you both will, I'm sure, will post to keep us all in awe of your work and results.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby jr9744 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:20 pm

hankaye wrote:jr9744, Howdy;

You'll like the 6v golf cart batteries. They are designed for the multiple amount of re-charges
and discharges that will occur while they are installed. Be sure you get 2 that were made
on the same day or close to that. Kind of like avoiding using a new flash light battery with an
older one. The older will suck the charge out of the new one and give you grief from the get-go.

You both appear to have done your homework, good on ya. Looking forward to seeing the pix
you both will, I'm sure, will post to keep us all in awe of your work and results.

hank

Thanks hankaye,

I will definitely start posting pictures and starting my build journal once I get the trailer.

Thanks for the tip on the 6v batteries. I think i'll end up with these. Now just have to figure out which brand is the best and if it matters.

I also started doing Cad tonight for my design, and I understand now why so many people do the pulley bed, murphy bed, or e track bed. I thought with 7x16 I had so much space, but not the case when you start designing it in cad.
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby faust_21 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:52 pm

I'll be close behind you guys myself. Looking to get a 7x7x16 vnose, but I have to be able to get a large utv in it so my only option for bed is up high. I keep thinking vertical etrack, but haven't seen much info on them so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
faust_21
Teardrop Builder

Re: Build thread for

Postby jr9744 » Tue May 23, 2017 6:06 pm

faust_21 wrote:I'll be close behind you guys myself. Looking to get a 7x7x16 vnose, but I have to be able to get a large utv in it so my only option for bed is up high. I keep thinking vertical etrack, but haven't seen much info on them so we will see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, a lot of people on here also use it as a 'toy hauler' for bikes and toys. I also thought about the etrack, but I just decided on an ikea l shaped sofa bed. I dont' need to haul anything so I just have my full space to use.

If you search etrack in the search box, you'll find a bunch of posts and pictures of people who have used it.

Look forward to seeing your build. So anxious to get my trailer already!!!
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby kaloogle » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:28 pm

Hi all, we picked up our trailer a few months ago and have gotten a lot done. It is insulated, we built bunk beds for the kids, and put a temporary back wall in. We took the camper out once and have used it at home a few times.

We have an AC in the back wall and it worked great. The only problem, how do you keep the rain out when it is in use? It rained a lot getting the door and the outside of the back wall and floor got a little wet. I'll post some pictures today to show our progress.
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby pchast » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:30 pm

raise the tongue just a hair?
gasket the wall base?
Seal the floor to shed water?

:thinking:
pchast
Platinum Donating Member

Postby Iconfabul8 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:03 am

kaloogle wrote:Hi all, we picked up our trailer a few months ago and have gotten a lot done. It is insulated, we built bunk beds for the kids, and put a temporary back wall in. We took the camper out once and have used it at home a few times.

We have an AC in the back wall and it worked great. The only problem, how do you keep the rain out when it is in use? It rained a lot getting the door and the outside of the back wall and floor got a little wet. I'll post some pictures today to show our progress.

How about a 3 or 4ft awning type thing. Also :pictures: !!!!!
Iconfabul8
500 Club

Postby kaloogle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:47 am

Sorry for the delay in posting some pictures. Most of the work we have done is temp to figure out what we want and where.

Just a pic of the trailer:

Truck and trailer:

Inside before we started work:

The kids like robots:

The temp back wall seen from the inside:

Testing the radio, before putting on outlet cover:

Folding wooden bunkbeds. These worked good on our first trip, but they are a little heavy. To install them I had a ratchet strap holding them on the wall and then another when we wanted them out of the way.

The AC, the little funnel and hose is for the drain:

The back wall from the outside:

The first trip was a lot of fun, it rained a lot and was really nice to get inside. The AC worked great. But, we hadn't been in that much rain on a campout in a long time. We had awning rails installed on the back and the side with the door. Wished we would have had one installed on the other side also. Might add that later on. The only problem was the back wall got a little wet along with one of the doors even with a tarp in the awning rail.
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby kaloogle » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:21 am

Just went outside and took a few more pictures:
Front door:

Front V - the decals were made on a Cricut using google images and vinyl.

Overlook the mess in these next few, I've started working on it again......
Front counter:

Bunk beds folded up:

Back awning off of an old popup camper. The back doors are hitting it and will rip a hole in it. I need to put a roller or somethink on the sharp corner. This one is a little pain to slide on and off, takes 2 people. I'm thinking of taking it to a shoe repair place and see how much for a new zipper. Once a new zipper is installed, I'll just leave it on the back.
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Wed Sep 06, 2017 12:47 pm

:applause: Very nice! Looks like you have done a bunch of work already, and the kids are helping so that's always fun. You have a good thing goin' there. A great family as well, you're very lucky. Enjoy that trailer and those kids, cause' time flies my friend. These are the Good Old Days.
Good luck !

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby hankaye » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:13 pm

kaloogle, Howdy;

For that awning zipper (slide fastener), repair, I think you mentioned you are near the coast in the Carolinas,
Best bet is a Marine canvas shop or boat cover business. They generally have sewing machines that eat that
stuff as an appetizer. I've seen machines that will sew 2 quarters to make a unique 50 cent piece.

hank
Striving for a less complicated life since 1949 ...
Every day I beat my own previous record for number of consecutive days I've stayed alive.
hankaye
2000 Club
2000 Club

Postby Bearbait in NM » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:40 am

For the "slide" on top of the doors to protect my awnings, I am using a length of pvc pipe. Take the length, and cut a slot lengthwise that will fit the thickness of the door at the top. The curved pvc will slide easily on the awning, and if you make the slit a little snug on the door, it will stay. They come off easily to store, and weigh nothing.

Craig
Bearbait in NM
Teardrop Builder

Postby kaloogle » Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:41 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I was able to find some pipe insulation that fixed the problem with the top of the door rubbing the tarp/canopy.

We are getting ready for another trip in a couple months and have just about decided on a roof mount RV style AC. We have limited space inside, need to sleep 6 - 2 adults and 4 kids , don't want to cut a lot of holes in the trailer, and want to be able to run the AC with everything closed up in bad weather. My question is, what brand AC with the heat strip is the best bang for the buck? I called the place we bought the trailer from for a quote and they can get a Coleman 13,000 BTU installed for about $1,000. I figure they have a pretty good mark up on the AC itself so I'd like to buy one and have a trailer place install it for me.

Thanks for all your help!
kaloogle
Teardrop Inspector

Next

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions