8.5 x 24 toy hauler...first build

Converting Cargo Trailers into TTTs

Re: 8.5 x 24 toy hauler...first build

Postby low277 » Tue May 30, 2017 9:35 pm

[/quote]
flboy wrote:@rebar, You asked why would anybody want to. Those are some reasons folks may want to for their needs/desires. That is why there are 33 flavors at Bressler's Ice Cream. :-) Pick your favorite and enjoy.
Padilen wrote:Agree with my reasoning? I'm only saying what's been said. Narrow pulls easier with less wind resistance. And why have a 6-7 wide with wheel boxes intruding on space? Not everyone wants couches or boxes over them. Not everyone has max towing capacity. They make them different because we are different and have different needs. I called Dexter and American Hauler to ask why drop axles not straight. I was told that the majority of buyers want lower floors. The minority want ground clearance. So they produce what sells on dealer lots and custom build for the minority. Agree or disagree but not with me.
My thinking is you should buy what you want. And if it's not available used, buy new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well put!!!! Everyone has their own wants and needs. The world would be a pretty dull place if everyone was/did the same ! :D
NW Minnesota
low277
Donating Member

Postby colt45 » Tue May 30, 2017 10:47 pm

Got some more done on the ctc, flooring installed, under cabinet lights done, switches and volt meter up (have to polish the aluminum yet) started installing the bunks. Will have some more fab to do on the beds but coming along nice.ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
colt45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby McDave » Tue May 30, 2017 11:19 pm

Wow! That really is a big trailer. Kitchen is awesome. You don't mess around, gettin' it done.

McDave
McDave
Donating Member

Postby colt45 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:25 pm

McDave wrote:Wow! That really is a big trailer. Kitchen is awesome. You don't mess around, gettin' it done.

McDave

Yes it is, glad I went big. Im one of those guys that once I get something in my mind I wont stop until its acomplished (probly why im a good car salesman) Alot of planning went into it (and money) before the ctc arrived. I cant wait for the "finished" product.

colt45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby Padilen » Wed May 31, 2017 6:41 am

Your building fast when do you think you'll have it "done"?
That fridge is the size I have in my house! Well in my basement -& I live in my basement. Bigger unit upstairs that isn't used much.

Padilen
Donating Member

Postby atcNick » Wed May 31, 2017 6:49 am

What kind of trim did you use around the countertop by the sink? How did you secure the water tank? Where did you get the bunk bed frame?

-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby colt45 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:49 am

atcNick wrote:What kind of trim did you use around the countertop by the sink? How did you secure the water tank? Where did you get the bunk bed frame?

Just some oak i found at Menards. Built a mount for the tank and built the bed frames.

colt45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby atcNick » Wed May 31, 2017 7:50 am

colt45 wrote:
atcNick wrote:What kind of trim did you use around the countertop by the sink? How did you secure the water tank? Where did you get the bunk bed frame?

Just some oak i found at Menards. Built a mount for the tank and built the bed frames.

Nice work! How did you seal the trim to make it water resistant

-Nick
atcNick
Teardrop Advisor

Postby colt45 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:52 am

atcNick wrote:
colt45 wrote:

Nice work! How did you seal the trim to make it water resistant

Sealed it with poly, shouldnt get much if any water on it but I may have issues with it warping. Time will tell.

colt45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby jr9744 » Wed May 31, 2017 4:47 pm

When I first looked at the pictures of your cabinet, I thought they were pre-made like the kind you buy from Home Depot. But upon looking closer, I think you made them yourself. Or did you just make the frame and get doors pre-made? They look really good, so curious.

I'm trying to decide if I buy pre-made from HD or attempt to build them myself. The advantage of building them myself I think would be price and keeping the weight down. I just am not sure if I can make them look as good as yours and I want them to look professionally done.

Btw, build is coming along nicely.
7x7x16 V Nose Travel Trailer, First Build...In Progress
http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=68569
jr9744
Teardrop Master

Postby colt45 » Wed May 31, 2017 11:38 pm

The cabinets on the side of the trailer are quality one pre fabbed from Menards, decent cabinet for the money. All of them in front are custom homemade faces with prefabbed doors also from menards. I was in the same boat as you on deciding what to do for cabinets. My decision was made because I simply didnt have time to build all of them. Cost on all cabinet both prefabbed and homemade with doors landed just shy of $500 including hardware.

colt45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby colt45 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:38 pm

Finally finished fabing up the beds, I think they will work good. Need to build ladders yet for the top bunks, take them all out and paint them, plywood, and then it will be time for mattresses. Also replaced my brand new water pump that was leaking and put in my battery switch. Might take a few nights off im gettin pretty tired, luckily I will finally have a day off Tuesday after working at my normal job 10 days strait, so will get alot done then. Cheers!ImageImageImageImageImage

colt45
Teardrop Inspector

Postby flboy » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 am

Really nice work on the beds. Are you a welder by trade... or just good at it? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don (Flboy)

YouTube Video of Finished 6x12 Trailer:
https://youtu.be/6_-8cVdWUIA
YouTube Video of 7*18 with 2ft V-nose Trailer:
https://youtu.be/MUcMM86LA2g
flboy
Gold Donating Member

Postby m.colley » Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:31 am

Love the bed build. You've given me a few new ideas to consider that will make my bed build and design much simpler than I had originally planned. Thanks!!!

BTW, is that 2" or so flat bar attached to the wall on the backside of your uprights (parents bed)?

Martin
m.colley
The 300 Club

Postby colt45 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:34 am

flboy wrote:Really nice work on the beds. Are you a welder by trade... or just good at it?

No im a car salesman...lol I just grew up building stuff with my dad in the shop all the time.

colt45
Teardrop Inspector

PreviousNext

Return to Cargo Trailer Conversions